FX loops coming to Metro.

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Krinkle

Re: FX loops coming to Metro.

Post by Krinkle » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:06 am

That sounds great to me, I just want to preserve the Plexi tone, first and foremost. Thanks for the info Steve. It's time for me to order one of these.

Darrin

budubum

Post by budubum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:43 am

i know this has been asked b4 but i want to extend that question.

can this be done with a tight 1987x plexi chassis that now has been converted into JCM 800 specs?

does the measurment from the centre of one of the speaker jacks to the SEND jack on the loop according to the PDF file of the instructions page 3, still thesame as the one on the 100watt version heads that the instructions are based on?

thanks!

i really need to get this

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by SDM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:06 am

budubum wrote: can this be done with a tight 1987x plexi chassis that now has been converted into JCM 800 specs?
Most likely, but send me an email on that to be sure. Don't see it being a problem, but may depend on how it was converted (main board size or location if a new one was put in).
budubum wrote: ..does the measurement from the center of one of the speaker jacks to the SEND jack on the loop according to the PDF file of the instructions page 3, still the same as the one on the 100watt version heads that the instructions are based on?
No in a JTM 45 or 1987 type amp, the spacing from the speaker jack to the send jack in the instructions will be too far. In these amps, basically you just want to center the loop board (whole board itself, not any particular jack on it) between the chassis side/end and the last speaker jack. Simple as that, exact positioning is not critical, just approximately center the board in the open space between the speaker jack and chassis end, mark the send hole location, follow template from there and you should be set. Chassis may vary a bit, but roughly that'll end up putting the send hole about 2.5" from last speaker jack in a Metro 45, about 1.75"-2" in a 1987 I believe.

budubum

Post by budubum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 pm

thanks man this clears everything up.

about what you said on how i converted the amp is a no problem to me. the way i have it now is dead quiet, if i may over react abit :lol: , but yeah , you know what i mean.

my main question was really is i wanted to find out how FAR i neeed to put the F loop board to the direction of the v1 tube. we dont want it to be too near the v1 area as this might interfere with the signal wires.
i did shielded the v1 and v2 green signal wires though.

you think this would be good now?

is there any left on stock from george? i dont want to wait too long and cant buy now as im still saving.

cheers,

kahelle

mrkrausman

Post by mrkrausman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:44 pm

One reason I was looking at the Larry loop is that it can be used for lead boosting because it has adjustable levels. Can this loop do so with a pedal or footswitch? I have a guy who wants me to build him a metro but wants to know how to boost his solo's but not color the tone. I realize this could move off topic.
Miss those Metro kits terrible!
Metro 50 Watt
1980 Marshall 2203 JMP MkII
Mojotone 4X12 Scumback H75 M75

SDM

Post by SDM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 pm

budubum wrote:... we dont want it to be too near the v1 area as this might interfere with the signal wires.
i did shielded the v1 and v2 green signal wires though.
Shielding V1 and V2 grid wires certainly doesn't hurt, but shouldn't be necessary just due to the loop (only if the amp was unstable before). The loop will end up over V1 and V2 in a 1987 or JTM45, but the board bottom acts as a ground plane to shield it from that below. So was anticipating this and has worked out as planned. No one has reported reported any interference or stability problems in a small chassis install, loop right over V1 and V2. One such small chassis amp was a high gain modded Rocco circuit as Krank described on page 1 of this thread.
budubum wrote:is there any left on stock from george? i dont want to wait too long and cant buy now as im still saving.
You'll need to ask the Metro guys on that. Should be able to keep a rather steady flow though as demand warrants.

SDM

Post by SDM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:49 pm

mrkrausman wrote:One reason I was looking at the Larry loop is that it can be used for lead boosting because it has adjustable levels. Can this loop do so with a pedal or footswitch? I have a guy who wants me to build him a metro but wants to know how to boost his solo's but not color the tone. I realize this could move off topic.
The loop returns full PI driving signal voltages as the stock amp would, so power amp/PI is already clipping well if amp is cranked. You can add an EQ or boost in the loop, but may just add more distortion/clipping compared to a volume boost, as again the power amp is pretty maxed out already, you are just pushing the PI even harder now. The squaring off of the signal from more clipping will increase actual power a bit so may do the trick for some extra volume, but depends on how he runs the amp. This will apply to any loop really, though with most loops you'll just end up overdriving the loop return stage more as opposed to pushing the PI even harder.

If he uses pedals for dirt, runs the amp a bit cleaner or clean, then using a boost/EQ in the loop can/will provide a strong volume boost. So depends on your definition of boost (volume vs. distortion) and how the amp is used.

EDITED to add: The above comment about "most loops" is NOT concerning Larry's loop in any way. I've not gone over his design in depth and do not want to get into comparisons between our loops here. He has my utmost respect, and you can be sure anything from Larry is a top notch, excellent design.
Last edited by SDM on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey Steve, was the spacing of the jacks for your loop matched to the Marshall FX loop, so that retrofitting your loop was possible without extra drilling?

Krinkle

Post by Krinkle » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:50 pm

SDM wrote:This will apply to any loop really, though with most loops you'll just end up overdriving the loop return stage more as opposed to pushing the PI even harder.
Exactly why I want this loop.

SDM

Post by SDM » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:40 pm

Flames1950 wrote:Hey Steve, was the spacing of the jacks for your loop matched to the Marshall FX loop, so that retrofitting your loop was possible without extra drilling?
Hey Andy,
I was thinking mainly about these as an add on for Metro kits when designing the board, so never really considered the RIs with loops in the process. Marshall has the RI loop jacks pretty much side by side, this loop has them 1.5" apart so holes are not going to match up unfortunately.

budubum

Post by budubum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:10 am

Krank wrote:I got one of these loops a few weeks ago from Steve. I had a few questions about the loop at first, due to the fact that my main amp right now is a Rocco spec as per Rockstah’s threads in a small box. So I was worried that the loop would create noise or pick up noise from the extra gain stage especially in the limited amount of room in the 50 watt Metro head. Let me tell you that this loop did not disappoint, it went in easily with absolutely no problems, and to my ears has absolutely no effect on the tone at all. I wish I could post some pics for all you Metrohollics but I have just moved from Japan back to the states so all my gear is in shipment as I type this. Anyway I am totally stoked that George is going to start carrying these so I can buy a few more for the other Metro builds that I have. I don’t run a lot of FX but I have tried the loop with some reverb, chorus, delay, and phaser, all effects ran beautifully. This loop was the perfect complement to my amp. Awesome job Steve.

hey krank. i want to be your friend :shock: :lol:
anyways.,

looking through the new metro loop that metroamp is sellig, youve mentioned about yoou haveing and higain rocco mod and had installed the loop. said that you didnt notice any tone diff plus no noise whatsoever.

i also have a 50 watter marshall on the specs of the reissue 1987x converted to PTP converted to JCM 800 preamp ONLY specs as like rockstahs mods.

the amp is quiet to start with so i dont think itd be a problem with the FXloop.

id like to know the true spacing as to how you installed your loop. and pictures wouldnt be a bad thing to get info aswell.

thanks in advance

kahelle

Krank

Post by Krank » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:23 am

hey krank. i want to be your friend :shock: :lol:
anyways.,

looking through the new metro loop that metroamp is sellig, youve mentioned about yoou haveing and higain rocco mod and had installed the loop. said that you didnt notice any tone diff plus no noise whatsoever.

i also have a 50 watter marshall on the specs of the reissue 1987x converted to PTP converted to JCM 800 preamp ONLY specs as like rockstahs mods.

the amp is quiet to start with so i dont think itd be a problem with the FXloop.

id like to know the true spacing as to how you installed your loop. and pictures wouldnt be a bad thing to get info aswell.

thanks in advance

kahelle[/quote]

I split the difference between the speaker jack and the chassis wall near V1, and placed the center of the FX loop at that point. I am sorry I dont have any pics as my stuff is in shipment and it will still be another month before I get it. Check out MarT's thread in the JTM45 area. As that is the same chassis that I have in my Rocco spec. Sorry I couldnt help out more.

Krank

budubum

Post by budubum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:02 pm

Krank wrote:hey krank. i want to be your friend :shock: :lol:
anyways.,

thanks in advance

kahelle
I split the difference between the speaker jack and the chassis wall near V1, and placed the center of the FX loop at that point. I am sorry I dont have any pics as my stuff is in shipment and it will still be another month before I get it. Check out MarT's thread in the JTM45 area. As that is the same chassis that I have in my Rocco spec. Sorry I couldnt help out more.

Krank[/quote]

damn it. i thought i sent you the prev. post thru PM but oh well. 8)

thanks man.

now what if i got a PPIMV larmar set up on the first speaker jack closes to the preamp tubes direction, do you think this would also cause any noise?

all wires on the PPIMV are well shielded to teh common point. like i said no problems or tone problems using the PPIMV from 0-10 on that knob.

Krank

Post by Krank » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:18 pm

budubum

I dont dont think that a whole lot will realy affect this loop. Like I said I put this in a small box with four gain stages and no adverse noise from the loop. So your PPMIV should work just fine.

SDM

Post by SDM » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Several amps have the loop and a PPIMV in the last speaker jack hole (both Lar/Mar and others), no reported problems. The original prototype of the loop that I installed in a Metro built amp had a PPIMV between last speaker jack and the loop, no problems there.