Marshall logos

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Twistingcrow

Marshall logos

Post by Twistingcrow » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi!
I'm getting a 50W kit next week and I want it to look "vintage correct". I know that the correct logo for JTM45's kit is the Block logo, but what about the 1987? I've seen different sizes and colors... I guess it's the white 6" logo but it could also be the gold 6" logo. Do you guys know which one to get in order to keep it vintage correct?
Thanks!

And if one day I get a 100 watt 1959 kit, is it the 9" white logo?
Thanks a lot!

Twistingcrow

Re: Marshall logos

Post by Twistingcrow » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:11 pm

No one around to give me that info? :?

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by shakti » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:09 pm

The classic Marshall "script" logo was introduced probably late 1965, replacing the block logo. So early JTM45s have the block logo, but from late '65 and onwards it's the script logo for all amps and cabs.

The first Marshall script logo was 6" and had a gold/silvery plating on the front. In approximately mid-69 it was replaced by a new 6" design which was only slightly different as far as the shape of the letters and mounting pin pattern, but was now a plain white. On cabs, a 9" logo was introduced roughly around the same time.

So for anything from the Plexi era after the block logo amps, you need a 6" gold logo. However, Marshall's reissue 6" gold logo uses the design from mid-69 and up, but with added gold plating. So you need to find an aftermarket logo to have an absolutely accurate Plexi-era logo. Currently, only Music Ground (now Music Inc. or something) out of the UK makes one. The logos are superb, but they are expensive.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:33 pm

shakti wrote:Currently, only Music Ground (now Music Inc. or something) out of the UK makes one. The logos are superb, but they are expensive.
And they're a pain in the arse to deal with sometimes. And it can be a waiting game with them too.

That said, they are the best thing I have seen, and worth the wait, if being correct is as important to you, as it is to pedantics like me! :twisted:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:42 am

Well, thanks fro the lenghty and accurate reply!
I have ordered a 6" gold logo from eBay... It's not as good as the music inc. you mentioned probably but it was 27$ shipping included...
Thanks again!