AC or DC on pins ?

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Stretchy
Just the numbers in order: 7

AC or DC on pins ?

Post by Stretchy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:11 am

Noob question... Just finished my build (100 watt), powered it on, nothing blew (that's good), got conclusive readings on pin 2 and 7 of v4-7 and pin 4- and 9 of v1-3. That measurement was in AC.

Then, following the guide, I checked pin 5 of V4-7 and got ok readings (in the range the guide says it should be), that measurement was done in DC.

Then, I know I should check the voltages against the chart voltage. My problem is that I know that pins 2 and 7 of power tubes should be in AC and pin 5 in DC, but for the rest, like pin 4, should I be AC or DC ? Was it somewhere in the guide but I'm too tired too see ?

Also, I wanted to drain the caps as per the guide, but wanted to make sure I had current in the caps before trying to drain them, and when I checked on the caps itself, using DC on a 600V range,I never saw any readings... how could this be ? Afterwards I did the draining procedure jsut in case. Could someone have readings like I had(pin 2 and 7 of power tubes and bias readings and so on) with such a major problem as having no power in the filter caps ? Is my multimeter good for the dump ?

Stretchy

Re: AC or DC on pins ?

Post by Stretchy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:37 am

Was reading the master volume guide to look at the clearer picture in them to help me spot a problem on my 100W and it seems that in the testing sequence, after testing what I tested (bias and heather wires) I shound throw the standby switch (which seems pretty darn logical), but since I followed the guide so precisely I haven't done this (reread it and never saw any mention of throwing the standby switch in the testing sequence).

I'm preparing to work now, but could this explain the problems I got ?

Also, in this master volume guide, I checked the chart and it indicates where AC should be read!

I'll test it this evening... the day will be long.

Let me know if you think I got it wrong...

Stretchy

Post by Stretchy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Hmmm... no one ? :(

FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes, flip the standby switch when reading the voltages on the pins. Otherwise, there's no high-voltage running through the amp.

Stretchy

Post by Stretchy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks!

That's what I decided to do after reading the other guide. The amp is alive, sound INCREDIBLE and with less bacground noise that my Marshall 1987 RI... Nice glassy sound. Gonna crank it a bit tomorrow!

Thanks for the help. Is it me or the part when we should flick the standby switch is not in the guide ?

FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:33 am

Yeah, the instructions leave a few things out.

Invocator

Post by Invocator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Do you need to have speakers hooked up when you throw the standby switch?

harkkam08

Post by harkkam08 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:05 pm

yes you must have speakers connected when you turn the amp off from standby into high voltage mode. YOu can destroy your amp like that. I made a mistake of pulling the wire out and even one sec is too long.

toner

Post by toner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Invocator wrote:Do you need to have speakers hooked up when you throw the standby switch?
Only if the power tubes are installed.