Zero Loss FX Loop Placement in PPIMV circuit

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

rickcruz
Just the numbers in order: 7

Zero Loss FX Loop Placement in PPIMV circuit

Post by rickcruz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to finally be on this forum. My good friend JimiJames (fellow Chicagoan and partner in crime) has been bugging me to get on here for years!

About a year ago I built a 6V6 based amplifier for myself. It is primarily a plexi circuit (model 1987) with GZ34 rectification. I've recently added a Zero Loss FX kit and the Lars PPIMV kit.

On some of the Country/Blues gigs that I play on, I run my "20 Watt Plexi" clean, with the PPIMV full up. Contrary to what a Marshall is known for, I enjoy a lot of clean tones that a properly reproduced "plexi" circuit has to offer. The amp and Zero Loss FX loop with a Boss DD5 inline sound great.

However, I also play Blues/Rock and Shred style instrumentals. When I want to dial in a bit of dirt, (and I can get a lot with the Lars PPIMV), the delayed signal also distorts..

My questions is this: What is the purpose of installing an FX loop in an amplifier with a PPIMV, if the loop return placement is before the distorted PI stage? Can anyone think of how to capture that wonderful overdriven PI section and send it to my delay pedal....clean?

Reeltarded
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Zero Loss FX Loop Placement in PPIMV circuit

Post by Reeltarded » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:31 am

20 watter? Really? I can't get anything smaller than an AC30 to keep up with the snare drum.

That said, add a variable direct output properly (at the output) and use a second small setup for effects return? It's the only thing I can imagine doing anything you'd smile about. :)
not kicking the dead horse