Info on amp build

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

frusciante89
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Info on amp build

Post by frusciante89 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 am

Hi guys, I'm new... I would like some advices: I'm interested in building my own amp, at the moment I have a fender hot rod deluxe, but I'm looking for a rich, warm, marshall sound. I play a lot of 70s rock, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Who, etc. but also a lot of RHCP stuff (BSSM era). What I need, long story short, it's a medium power amplifier (I'm not going to play in big venues for the moment), which can be able of a nice clean tone (Frusciante's kind of tone) but also a good warm tube saturation. I remember trying a modern marshall head a couple of years ago which sounded to me extremely high pitched, harsh and with "round" as I like.
What would be a good choice among the various kits? I assume I need a master volume to get tube distortion without ruining my hears, right?
Also, my friend has a lot of mojo dijon/Tad caps... willl they provide a similar sound as the sozos?
Thanks for your help,
Andrea

jimmyride

Re: Info on amp build

Post by jimmyride » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:08 am

I once had a 50w plexi clone made by Ceriatone. It had PPIMV but I hardly used it. You can get nice lead tones with a nice overdrive pedal. I had no problem with the volume. So... 50w plexi clone? Or JTM45? Anyway I haven't used mojo caps, just read about them. I'd get SoZos or Mallorys. Or NOS Mustards. :-)

frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:39 am

What do you mean you hardly used that? You didn't like it? The choice seems to be between JTM45 and plexi... what do you suggest? Will they be clean enough to play some funk when I need?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 am

If you want a fatter Marshall tone with some clean headroom at moderate volumes then I think at least a 50w Bass (well organ) spec amp is best. For max headroom a Superbass or early Superlead would be even better but they are heavier and bigger if you are gigging them. There is not a lot of volume difference. Speaker choice will be important too.
To get saturated lead tone will require a pedal or an attenuator unless you are in the studio with set up dial in time. At gigs getting control with the guitar volume is possible but I find that when we do the poppy funk stuff I have to scoop the mids out on the amp, switch to single coils with the coil tap and knock the attenuator back a click or two. All a bit fiddly on the fly when we are trying to go seamlessly from one song to the next called by our keys/singer from a global playlist (not a set list :roll: )
Neil

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:23 pm

frusciante89 wrote:What do you mean you hardly used that? You didn't like it? The choice seems to be between JTM45 and plexi... what do you suggest? Will they be clean enough to play some funk when I need?
No, I didn't like it. Didn't need it either. But the LARMAR version by the guys from this forum should be better sounding than regular PPIMV. Don't know in which way though. Try some searching - I'm sure there's a lot of info on this here. I don't play funk so can't help you there. I built myself 1968 superlead and I couldn't be happier. As for the volume... Neil said there is not much difference but I wouldn't say so. To my ears my SL is a lot louder than the 50w Ceriatone plexi. But it could be that punch which 100w plexi produces. That might be the reason why 100w is a lot harder on my ears. Had to buy ear plugs which actually works a lot better than the PPIMV. :-) But I have to tame it during the rehearsals with my band.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:13 pm

jimmyride wrote: As for the volume... Neil said there is not much difference but I wouldn't say so.
Well I do have a reasonable stable to compare (Metro JTM45 with KT66s, 67 JTM50, Metro JTM50, Marshall 68 JMP50 Lead, Metro 1987/2204 switchable, Metro JTM45/100 with KT66s, Marshall 67 JTM45/100 with EL34s, Marshall 68 JMP100 Lead, Metro/Marshall SIR #39 clone, two 18w combos and a 64 Vox AC30 through a selection of vintage cabs!
All of the above are equipped with NOS or new testing Mullard Pres (a few old telefunkens/teslas and Brimars too) the outputs are all Mullard EL34s or GEC KT66s. All amps are in A1 condition.

Yes a like for like 100w has more punch and clean headroom, but not twice as much by any means. A 50w is still extremely loud and you need an attenuator or PPIMV to use one in most modern environments unless you want to get kicked out but running it distorted you have more chance of finding its sweet spot IMO. A 100w at real singing distorted levels unattenuated through a full stack is a wondrous experience but................ :listen:
Neil

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Well, I didn't say 100w is twice as loud as 50w. But it is at least one louder. :D I just think the volume difference between 50w and 100w is generally a bit underestimated, that's all.

frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 am

Ok guys, I think I'll stick with 50w bass for now... I still have some questions:
1) I spent a couple of hours looking for the right trannies... Apparently mm seem to be the best, however I read that they create a harsh/modern kind of sound? Is that true? Are the extra bucks worth the difference for what I'm looking for? (round and warm Marshall sound). Will the stock choice be ok? Are there any other good/tested options as far as you know? Don't wanna have a crappy set of trannies but I also don't want to spend tooooo much many on my first build :)
2) my dad will make the chassis out of stainless steel: is that a good choice? I heard people having issues with hum when using steel, due to its lower conductivity...
3) is the cloth wire better/worse in any way than the standard wire? I'll like to use it due to its vintage look..

Thanks for your help,
I hope to order the parts as soon as possible and build this monster :)

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:23 am

frusciante89 wrote:Ok guys, I think I'll stick with 50w bass for now... I still have some questions:
1) I spent a couple of hours looking for the right trannies... Apparently mm seem to be the best,
- who on earth told you that (MM salesperson)?
frusciante89 wrote: however I read that they create a harsh/modern kind of sound? Is that true? Are the extra bucks worth the difference for what I'm looking for? (round and warm Marshall sound).
In a vintage Marshall no, maybe for a high gain hotrod?
frusciante89 wrote:Will the stock choice be ok? Are there any other good/tested options as far as you know? Don't wanna have a crappy set of trannies but I also don't want to spend tooooo much many on my first build :)
Go with Marstran, people seem happy with Classic Tone as they are cheap but I have never used them
frusciante89 wrote: 2) my dad will make the chassis out of stainless steel: is that a good choice? I heard people having issues with hum when using steel, due to its lower conductivity...
should be fine, as good as Aluminium for shielding but might be a bit heavy.
frusciante89 wrote:3) is the cloth wire better/worse in any way than the standard wire? I'll like to use it due to its vintage look..
On a Fender - maybe but on a Marshall go with the stuff Valvestorm sells, it works well solders nicely, fits through lugs and wraps easily around connectors for good physical contact and it does not melt badly if it gets too hot.
Neil

frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! :thumbsup: I found this company from germany:http://www.ig-transformatoren.com/produ ... MP50L.html
what do you think? I'll prefer to buy trannies in europe due to shipping/custom fees...

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 pm

This guy seems to be happy with them.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=35109&f=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: And by the way... thanks for the tip! I'll surely try them in my next build. :thumbsup:

EDIT2: This looks promising as well. http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:22 am

Ah, in Europe! Yes the US -> Europe customs handling and taxes are a killer :( (I think UK to Canada is the same?)

The IG transformers have a good reputation, the main issue was relaiblity of supply once ordered and paid for (this seemed to be related to domestic/health problems that dragged on for quite a while). He did sell some stuff through tube-town but I think that was limited?
Has he gone full time now?
Neil

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:14 am

I read somewhere even Greg Germino used to buy them for his amps. Until it got too expensive to ship them. About 160eu for a 50w set? That's a bargain. There is not much info on the internet but everyone who tried them was satisfied. I'd love to hear a comparison with Marstran, Metro or even Me rr en trannys. It would be awesome if we had good enough alternative to the US makers.

frusciante89

Post by frusciante89 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 am

can I use a simple rotary switch instead of the expensive marshall impedance selector?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:32 am

frusciante89 wrote:can I use a simple rotary switch instead of the expensive marshall impedance selector?
Some people do.
It needs to be very positive so it stays put where you set it and to have sufficient rating not to melt, but yes you can,
Neil