Jtm45 vs 50watt kit

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mpollard
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Jtm45 vs 50watt kit

Post by Mpollard » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:21 pm

I’m in the process of purchasing one of the valvestorm kits and I’ve been reading through this forum and others trying make sure I purchase the right kit for my needs and tonal desires. I’ve been really focused on the JTM45, but then reading about and hearing sound clips of 50w. So, I have a couple of questions that I hope will help me make a choice between the two:

1) is the 50w equivalent to the 1987x modal?
2) while I rehearse and gig at close to full volume, it would be nice to have a master volume so that my wife doesn’t shoot me when I’m playing at home. I’ve read in several places that the JTM45 doesn’t play well with the mv, and several other places that say the 50w does. Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.
3) My gig venues are fairly small, so I use a 1x12 currently loaded with a v30, and soon to be loaded with g12m 65 creamback. Both are rated at 65w. Will I run out of safe operating room on this cab if I go with the 50w kit? I’m willing to leap into 2x12 territory, but again, I’m really limited on stage space and volume levels, and the 50w might be pushing it cranked with a 2x12.
4) how does the metro effects loop play with either kit?

Based on what I’ve heard for sound clips, I think I’d be happy with either kit, although I like the idea of having a bit more clean headroom with the 50w kit. I play my guitar volume knob almost exclusively to get my cleans.

FYI, my band plays two complete sets of Hendrix, and a third mix of Zeppelin, Trower, etc. I’m playing through a strat most of the time and then switch to a LP when I need to. My current amp is an Orange OR15, and I love that little guy, but for any kind of cleans it’s really hard to get to stage volume without getting unacceptable breakup. The mv is basically dimed in gigs to get to acceptable stage volume.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

danman

Re: Jtm45 vs 50watt kit

Post by danman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pm

A 50 watt kit with Valvestorm would be the 1987 circuit because I do not believe they offer the master volume (2204) circuit chassis. They do carry the items for the 100 watt MV amp though. WIth the 50 watt kit you could do a 1987 circuit (lead), 1986 circuit (bass) or a mix of the two. The circuits are very similar and only require a few different components. The bass circuit would be closer to the JTM 45 though.

Both the 1987 and 1986 circuits will be very loud amps and will need to be cranked to get good overdrive sounds. A ppmiv can be added to tame volume and allow some overdriven tone at lower volumes but it does has it's affect on the sound. Some love it and others do not. Another option is to use an attenuator or a mix of attenuator and ppmiv to bring the volume down. You may be better off building a 2204 style circuit if a MV and lower volume od tones are necessary. The 1987 will be a tighter more aggressive amp than the JTM 45 but the 45 can also get some great tones once the volume is brought up enough. All of the nmv circuits are very similar with just a few different components between them but the JTM 45 does use tube rectification which will have it's own effect in sound and feel versus the diode rectification in the other circuits.

harleytech

Post by harleytech » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 am

Build them both... That's what I did...
:thumbsup:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:30 pm

viewtopic.php?t=39034

Do it from the outset, it will make sense when you plug it in.

Neil

Rickey_Dee
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rickey_Dee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:33 am

I'm a lil late on this, havent been here for a couple years.

I've built the 50 watt kit, 1987 69 lead spec. The amp is loud without a master, no doubt. I've installed the LarMar PPIMV, which works great. What i also did, i got EL84 adapters from Tube Amp Doctor (TAD), and it is significatly lower in volume, while retaining the basic character of the amp. I use this combination when i play small venues, on bigger stages just the ppimv. This really works great, if you plan to build a 1987, i suggest to try this, i think you wont be disappointed.

Cheers
Rickey
Builds:

Metroamp 50W Lead Plexi
BYOC Tri-Boost

tbc...

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm

I tried the similar adaptors from THD using JJ EL84s

I found the sound relatively compressed with less dynamics, same with the Larmar turned down below half

Generally I use KT66s or EL34s and a good attenuator.
Neil

Rickey_Dee
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rickey_Dee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:39 am

funny thing is, i bought them second hand, and they came with ruby tubes... first i was quite "shocked" when i plugged them in, very compressed, compared to the winged c el34 less highs... i was quite surprised how quite the amp was actually with the el84s, i liked that, and it also was significantly lower in volume, perfect for playing at home (i live in a house). but the sound was somewhat "not-what-i-was-hoping-for". but i had a few sets of nos mullard el84, when i changed the tubes, it was somewhat refreshing, cause now the sound, the high end, everything came back to life. even with the ppimv turned way down, it was still cool. of course the el84s have less headroom than the el34s and breakup much earlier... you definitely have to back up the volume a bit. so... in the end i dont know if the ruby tubes were bad or whatever, they still were loud enough and no hum or whatever... but the mullards sounded stellar, just like the amp with el34s, just a tad lower in volume and headroom. i love to play it at home this way through a 1x12" with a scumback M75. and one more funny thing is, it actually works really nice with pedals too. i would recommend trying out different el84s first, maybe even E84L with a tad more headroom. if new tubes don't do it, i'd try some nos, they are not THAT expensive, and in my experience definitely worth it.
Builds:

Metroamp 50W Lead Plexi
BYOC Tri-Boost

tbc...

uiovbged332

Post by uiovbged332 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:49 pm

Jordans 18
NHL Jerseys
Air Jordan 20
Nike Shoes