Need advice from the experts!

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

eatpasta
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Need advice from the experts!

Post by eatpasta » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:20 pm

I bought this Marshall almost twenty years ago. It split its time being played live and in a few studios where it ended up in the shark week theme as well as a few Lobster records' albums.
Unfortunately its spent the last ten years in my closet since it got married and had a kid.

Its time to dust it off and play it again and I just never knew what I really had.

As far as I know, its a 1971 JMP50 with British plug. Its sounds phenomenal but channel one only comes through at full volume. Ive never had it looked at because I never trusted anyone to work on it.
Either way in curious to hear from some experts....

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

eatpasta

Re: Need advice from the experts!

Post by eatpasta » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Updated, higer res pics...

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:25 am

looks good to me
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

herbvis

Post by herbvis » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:07 am

Is the 220k in the bias circuit a little high of a value?

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:13 am

eatpasta wrote:channel one only comes through at full volume.
What do you mean ? It only sounds good at full volume ? Or there's no sound at all unless dimed ?

With a 4n7 bright cap the amp sounds terrible belox 7 or 8 on the volume knob. If this is what you are experiencing then it's pretty normal with split cathode lead spec amps.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Pretty much what I said on Marshall forum

Clean the switching jack contacts properly.

As Bill says the big 'bright' cap on vol 1 pot can make the volume knob like a switch rather than a pot.

If you are using new EL34s you nee dto move the screen wires to pin 4 and add 1k resistors between pin4 and pin6 on the output sockets, I would remove the flyback diodes on the sockets but you can leave them.

You say you have not run it for a couple of years, in which case slow fire up on a variac or follow Larry's cap reforming instructions on this forum before you switch it on again.
Neil

eatpasta

Post by eatpasta » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:54 pm

will do - thank you for the advice.

I desperately miss playing this thing, but not only do I just not have the time - its so bloody loud, there's no place to play it unless its in a studio or along with a drummer.

:drummer:

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:34 pm

eatpasta wrote:will do - thank you for the advice.

I desperately miss playing this thing, but not only do I just not have the time - its so bloody loud, there's no place to play it unless its in a studio or along with a drummer.

:drummer:
A decent attenuator is fantastic with these, just enough to take the top off the volume.
Neil

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun May 29, 2016 4:42 pm

I know this is a little bit of an old thread...what's the cap on the V1 socket between the plate and the grid?

Also, looks like someone replaced the output caps and cut them as to not disturb the red on the solder joint.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun May 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Isn't there supposed to be another red 'dogbone' capacitor across the ends of the 2 'chicklet' output caps?

danman

Post by danman » Sun May 29, 2016 6:31 pm

The tiny cap on v1 is there to squelch oscillations and it will also cut a bit of the high end. You will often see it used in cascaded preamp designs like the 2204...http://site.triodestore.com/JCM8002204Stock.pdf

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon May 30, 2016 4:37 am

danman wrote:The tiny cap on v1 is there to squelch oscillations and it will also cut a bit of the high end. You will often see it used in cascaded preamp designs like the 2204...http://site.triodestore.com/JCM8002204Stock.pdf
500pF 1kv is typical, lots of chatter about this on the SIR thread (values, best position, vs use of hot shield) but it certainly adds stability, particularly if you try to boost gain a lot with bypassed low value cathode resistors on both cascaded stages.
Neil

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon May 30, 2016 11:47 pm

neikeel wrote:
danman wrote:The tiny cap on v1 is there to squelch oscillations and it will also cut a bit of the high end. You will often see it used in cascaded preamp designs like the 2204...http://site.triodestore.com/JCM8002204Stock.pdf
500pF 1kv is typical, lots of chatter about this on the SIR thread (values, best position, vs use of hot shield) but it certainly adds stability, particularly if you try to boost gain a lot with bypassed low value cathode resistors on both cascaded stages.

Do you have a ballpark as to where in that thread? There are over 10k replies....
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue May 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Neil