Roccaforte HG100 Inside Pics!!!

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mensur

Roccaforte HG100 Inside Pics!!!

Post by mensur » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Roccaforte HG100 4.JPG
Roccaforte HG100 4.JPG (80.28 KiB) Viewed 9769 times
Here are the inside pictures of the Roccaforte HG100 Amp, if someone can make correct schematic, please do.
Attachments
Roccaforte HG100 10.JPG
(456.39 KiB) Downloaded 6307 times
Roccaforte HG100 9.JPG
(430.17 KiB) Downloaded 6303 times
Roccaforte HG100 8.JPG
(499.34 KiB) Downloaded 6295 times
Roccaforte HG100 7.JPG
(496.67 KiB) Downloaded 6291 times
Roccaforte HG100 6.JPG
(476.77 KiB) Downloaded 6267 times
Roccaforte HG100 5.JPG
(511.78 KiB) Downloaded 6244 times

mwm523

Re: Roccaforte HG100 Inside Pics!!!

Post by mwm523 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:54 pm

What's the schematic symbol for a wire tie LOL... You'll need A LOT of those!
-Mike

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:37 am

all i can say is that the yellowish rectangular caps seem to be 0.1ufs , i've seen one of those type of caps in rockstah wrecked 68 plexi build ....but as it is appearent that orange drops are from the 715p type i cannot tell about their value though :?: got clearer pics ? is there an orange drop expert in here ?

JWR
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by JWR » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 am

Nice build, but could use a few more tie wraps. Actually that is a very, very nice job.

jfhudak

Post by jfhudak » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:58 am

What's the purpose of the shield around the input jacks? I mean I assume it's for noise abatement. It would be easy enough to fabricate one and I wonder if it would be helpful in a Super Lead?

Very nice job on that amp!
"Es gibt nichts was es nicht gibt."

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:43 am

jfhudak wrote:What's the purpose of the shield around the input jacks? I mean I assume it's for noise abatement. It would be easy enough to fabricate one and I wonder if it would be helpful in a Super Lead?

it's only helpful when you wan't to put a master volume next to the input jacks ....but it's always cool to have a master volume on the front rather than on the back of the amp ....i think this shield is a great device !

jfhudak

Post by jfhudak » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:50 pm

frenchie wrote:
jfhudak wrote:What's the purpose of the shield around the input jacks? I mean I assume it's for noise abatement. It would be easy enough to fabricate one and I wonder if it would be helpful in a Super Lead?

it's only helpful when you wan't to put a master volume next to the input jacks ....but it's always cool to have a master volume on the front rather than on the back of the amp ....i think this shield is a great device !
Merci mon ami! ;)
"Es gibt nichts was es nicht gibt."

PCollen

Post by PCollen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:51 pm

mensur wrote:
Roccaforte HG100 4.JPG
Here are the inside pictures of the Roccaforte HG100 Amp, if someone can make correct schematic, please do.
My going reverse-engineering rate is $50/hr. Do you think someone is going to take that job on for FREE :lol: .

Nice work, for the most part. But is that junction of the PI tail-R, the PI Rk, and the two 1M PI grid-R's just a blob of solder? Is there a terminal in there somewhere ?

evhtone

Post by evhtone » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:54 pm

I had a HG100 years ago. Was a beautiful amp. Wish I still had it!

That said...I'm wanting a Metro 12 series right now.

Fever Dog

Post by Fever Dog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:58 pm

its a blob of solder. i have a roccaforte custom 20.
http://www.myspace.com/bigterrible" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:09 pm

mensur wrote:Here are the inside pictures of the Roccaforte HG100 Amp, if someone can make correct schematic, please do.
The schem is very close to a Rocco modded 2203, means four stages w/o a CF to the tone stack - and very low voltages to the preamp tubes. Supply voltage to V1 is IIRC about 190V, to V2 about 210V

I've had such an amp from one of my British Purist Customers on my bench for "taming", not for modding. I even haven't drafted only a quick hand schem of the amp, because I've been shocked of the orig. amp's sound! It wasn't worth it IMO, to spend time for this. Insane gain - yes! But noisy as hell, hard and ice picky - and I've missed the typically 'British Growl'!

I've tamed it to somewhat like a 'refined' 2203 w/ CF, but nonetheless the customer then has sold the amp a while later. Said, that all he's getting from this amp he already has just w/ the Rough sound of his British Purist, but with more beef & perfection in the tone.
frenchie wrote:all i can say is that the yellowish rectangular caps seem to be 0.1ufs , i've seen one of those type of caps in rockstah wrecked 68 plexi build ....but as it is appearent that orange drops are from the 715p type i cannot tell about their value though :?: got clearer pics ? is there an orange drop expert in here ?
The yellowish rectangular caps are .68/100V - the Orange Drops are indeed 715P w/ one exception, what is a 225/200V as the 'lower' coupling cap into the PI - the blue ceramics are 470p/3kV Murata's.
frenchie wrote:

No! The shield is inevitable in this layout, otherwise the amp wouldt be squealing like a pig and I'm shure, that Roccaforte run into this problem at the first prototypes - hence the shield now :wink:

Oh sorry! You all certainly want to know, why ?

The input jack is placed exactly there, where the tone stack caps are located on the board. The phasing difference between the (sensitive) input signal and the (strong) signal in the tone stack is 720° !!! 360° already is enough for a hefty squeal, if you bring input & output too close together. Due to the amplification of two additional stages (two stages = 360° phasing diff. / 4 stages = 720° phasing diff.) this case is about 60 times worse than the 360° situation mentioned above. Without a shield there presumably only a half or maybe only a tenth of a picofarad capacitance between the tone stack caps and the input's hot tip is enough, to get the 'oscillator' on - to get the pig squealing.

So finally it turns out, that this what you regard as: "this shield is a great device" is nothing else than an inevitable technically crux! Sorry for the straight words, Doug! But the truth not always is comfortable. You probably already run into this prob by modding Marshall JTM's in the past, I've had the prob by modding Marshall JMP's in the early 90' as well - and other well-known modders from the past, who now have their own amp line have had this prob as well.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Smokin Tone

Post by Smokin Tone » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:50 am

Nice review Larry. Thanks!

toneking

Post by toneking » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:44 am

Wow, that's some more kind of of wire tie art!
Life's too short for bad tone!

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 am

novosibir wrote:
mensur wrote:Here are the inside pictures of the Roccaforte HG100 Amp, if someone can make correct schematic, please do.
The schem is very close to a Rocco modded 2203, means four stages w/o a CF to the tone stack - and very low voltages to the preamp tubes. Supply voltage to V1 is IIRC about 190V, to V2 about 210V

I've had such an amp from one of my British Purist Customers on my bench for "taming", not for modding. I even haven't drafted only a quick hand schem of the amp, because I've been shocked of the orig. amp's sound! It wasn't worth it IMO, to spend time for this. Insane gain - yes! But noisy as hell, hard and ice picky - and I've missed the typically 'British Growl'!

I've tamed it to somewhat like a 'refined' 2203 w/ CF, but nonetheless the customer then has sold the amp a while later. Said, that all he's getting from this amp he already has just w/ the Rough sound of his British Purist, but with more beef & perfection in the tone.
frenchie wrote:all i can say is that the yellowish rectangular caps seem to be 0.1ufs , i've seen one of those type of caps in rockstah wrecked 68 plexi build ....but as it is appearent that orange drops are from the 715p type i cannot tell about their value though :?: got clearer pics ? is there an orange drop expert in here ?
The yellowish rectangular caps are .68/100V - the Orange Drops are indeed 715P w/ one exception, what is a 225/200V as the 'lower' coupling cap into the PI - the blue ceramics are 470p/3kV Murata's.
frenchie wrote:

No! The shield is inevitable in this layout, otherwise the amp wouldt be squealing like a pig and I'm shure, that Roccaforte run into this problem at the first prototypes - hence the shield now :wink:

The input jack is placed exactly there, where the tone stack caps are located on the board. The phasing difference between the (sensitive) input signal and the (strong) signal in the tone stack is 720° !!! 360° already is enough for a hefty squeal, if you bring input & output too close together. Due to the amplification of two additional stages (two stages = 360° phasing diff. / 4 stages = 720° phasing diff.) this case is about 60 times worse than the 360° situation mentioned above. Without a shield there presumably only a half or maybe only a tenth of a picofarad capacitance between the tone stack caps and the input's hot tip is enough, to get the 'oscillator' on - to get the pig squealing.

So finally it turns out, that this what you regard as: "this shield is a great device" is nothing else than an inevitable technically crux! Sorry for the straight words, Doug! But the truth not always is comfortable. You probably already run into this prob by modding Marshall JTM's in the past, I've had the prob by modding Marshall JMP's in the early 90' as well - and other well-known modders from the past, who now have their own amp line have had this prob as well.

Larry
Damn Larry :lol: Glad I sold my HG100 and bought a Diezel VH4---can't afford a Dino yet! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

frenchie

Post by frenchie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:53 pm

novosibir wrote:

frenchie wrote:

Larry
thanks for your very precise input larry ...no hard truth ,i don't take it bad at all, i just love truth as she is ......it's always cool to be corrected by someone who clearly knows his shit .....i linked this shield in my mind with the lot of guys i read of who were saying that when you put a master near the inputs noises occur ....i was just trying to enlight approximately the whole thing with the tiny bit of knowledge i had ....though the yellowish caps are exactly the same on rockstah's wrecked plexi which are 0.1u without any doubt, only judging by their size i find a bit weird that 0.68uf are exactly the same size than 0.1uf :shock: :?: ...perhaps they have" the standardized wima size syndroma" no :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol: