Help me find Frank Levi, the designer of the Slash AFD amp !

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

TFL

Re: Help me find Frank Levi, the designer of the Slash AFD amp !

Post by TFL » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:51 pm

I had never heard the #36 story. That was a fun update.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 pm

RACKSYSTEMS wrote:Well its really sort of a jcm800 circuit with some mods to it. The amp also had 6550's in it. It really is just 3 parts different then a jcm 800 circuit. Again it has a sticker on it modified by frank levi and it is #34 SIR amp. Dave
Awesome, is there anyway you could please tell me what those parts were? Also are do you mean a JMP 2203 cirquit or an actual JCM 800 2203 cirquit? Was there no extra preamp tube or tubes? Does Slash still have this amp?

RACKSYSTEMS

Post by RACKSYSTEMS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 am

Yes he still has it I just worked on it for him. 800 is the same as jmp. I could tell you pm me.
Rack Systems / Tone Merchants
5419 Cleon Ave.
North Hollywood, Ca. 91601
[818] 209-4309
Racksystems@yahoo.com
Tonemerchants.com

guitarranch

Post by guitarranch » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:27 am

C-E-R-R-E-M took ONE wire and made my 1970 Super Trem into the supposed holy grail AFD amp.He first disconnected the trem circuit.An engineer can do things even when they're in a bad mood and still achieve the desired tonal results.My 1970 Super Trem now kills anything.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:59 am

guitarranch wrote:C-E-R-R-E-M took ONE wire and made my 1970 Super Trem into the supposed holy grail AFD amp.He first disconnected the trem circuit.An engineer can do things even when they're in a bad mood and still achieve the desired tonal results.My 1970 Super Trem now kills anything.
C-E-R-R-E-M ....what or who is that?

paulster
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by paulster » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 am

RACKSYSTEMS wrote:So Slash has a amp that has appeared on most of the records that was modded by Frank Levi and I just worked on it. I can only imagine that this is the same mod. So I know what it is. By the way it is #34 sir amp.
So that could either be one of the JCM800s with 6550s that he's used from UYI onwards, or possibly the JCM800 that was reported as having been modified for gain by Mike Morin, or they could be one and the same.

Only 3 parts changed though, so no extra gain stage on this one? Is this 3 parts worth of gain mod, or more like the usual EL34->6550 mods (bias range, bias splitters)?

RACKSYSTEMS

Post by RACKSYSTEMS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:19 am

No more gain. Dave
5419 Cleon Ave.
[818] 209-4309
Racksystems@yahoo.com
Tonemerchants.com

RACKSYSTEMS

Post by RACKSYSTEMS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 am

No not Mike Morin it was modded by Frank and it was the amp Use your album and a lot of other stuff since.
5419 Cleon Ave.
[818] 209-4309
Racksystems@yahoo.com
Tonemerchants.com

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Slash keeping secrets as usual it seems lol. I thought he was big into his vintage moderns now :wink:

I say send your amp to DAve at Rack Systems, his two mods to me sounded very close and can cover a lot of the 80's holy grail tones. If I came into some cash, I would definitely do that no question. I also find my jcm800 with 6550's doesn't compress as much when i drive it with an overdrive and with alnico II's, I am getting some pretty convincing AFD tones. I am going to try and record some to the vocal and drum track for welcome to the jungle.

Let's hear a clip of this C-E-R-R-E-M amp!

budubum

Post by budubum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:49 am

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Slash keeping secrets as usual it seems lol. I thought he was big into his vintage moderns now :wink:

I say send your amp to DAve at Rack Systems, his two mods to me sounded very close and can cover a lot of the 80's holy grail tones. If I came into some cash, I would definitely do that no question. I also find my jcm800 with 6550's doesn't compress as much when i drive it with an overdrive and with alnico II's, I am getting some pretty convincing AFD tones. I am going to try and record some to the vocal and drum track for welcome to the jungle.

Let's hear a clip of this C-E-R-R-E-M amp!

whats a c-e-r-r-e-m or who is it?

iv just edited my post and figured that if i write that C word it goes to "*" instead of the actual word im typing. is this word supposed to be hidden?

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:23 am

Long story short if I remember, he is an individual who is not really respected on this site for something he did so he and his products are not usually mentioned here. I think that was the jist of it.. he also makes transformers from what I remember. Bottom line is that the mod discussed above is probably a one wire modd alla Marshall Randy Rhoads edition and that has been discussed in great lengths on this forum.

budubum

Post by budubum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:59 am

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Long story short if I remember, he is an individual who is not really respected on this site for something he did so he and his products are not usually mentioned here. I think that was the jist of it.. he also makes transformers from what I remember. Bottom line is that the mod discussed above is probably a one wire modd alla Marshall Randy Rhoads edition and that has been discussed in great lengths on this forum.
thanks KP. id love to know the details as to why hes banned from this forum but not at this moment.

anyways,

iv been following this SIR amp for a long time now and iv noticed that nobody has cracked the code on this amp. i mean. ppl have tasted EDDIES tone already. i think its kindda boring (no offense here), this SIR amp really excites a person reading as its got to be the most secret. a person that has especially the hand wired eearly version (not the pcb that tim offers) would never let an info on it out. this leaves all of us guessing around pretty much with eddies setup. only this time is somewhat a trickier ones as it doesnt really need a variac and teh almighty correct speaker at a givven volume and effects b4 or after etc...

Grosh_Guitars
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:23 am

budubum wrote:
Kapo_Polenton wrote:Long story short if I remember, he is an individual who is not really respected on this site for something he did so he and his products are not usually mentioned here. I think that was the jist of it.. he also makes transformers from what I remember. Bottom line is that the mod discussed above is probably a one wire modd alla Marshall Randy Rhoads edition and that has been discussed in great lengths on this forum.
thanks KP. id love to know the details as to why hes banned from this forum but not at this moment.

anyways,

iv been following this SIR amp for a long time now and iv noticed that nobody has cracked the code on this amp. i mean. ppl have tasted EDDIES tone already. i think its kindda boring (no offense here), this SIR amp really excites a person reading as its got to be the most secret. a person that has especially the hand wired eearly version (not the pcb that tim offers) would never let an info on it out. this leaves all of us guessing around pretty much with eddies setup. only this time is somewhat a trickier ones as it doesnt really need a variac and teh almighty correct speaker at a givven volume and effects b4 or after etc...
It's just a different sound then the EVH thing. I owned 3 Frank Levi S.I.R. Amps back in the mid 80's and recorded with them as well. Wish I still had them now.
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

budubum

Post by budubum » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:39 am

Grosh_Guitars wrote:
budubum wrote:

anyways,

It's just a different sound then the EVH thing. I owned 3 Frank Levi S.I.R. Amps back in the mid 80's and recorded with them as well. Wish I still had them now.

do you remember how they look inside?

Grosh_Guitars
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Grosh_Guitars » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:50 am

It was so long ago I don't really remember . I do remember him not adding a extra ore amp tube. He told me then that he didn't butcher the amp like lee Jackson and that mod was pretty simple and could be reversed very easy if needed to put back to stock. What I do remember is the amps sounded awesome!
Sound Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;