S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Kapo_Polenton

Re: S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 am

Joey that amp sounds great man. Crunchy and tight.. nice response it seems. I personally am also one for cutting bass. The guitar cuts soo much better in the mix if you let a bass guitar round out the low end.

Cabbagebreeze
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Cabbagebreeze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

joey wrote:Cabbage Breeze

This is an addendum to what I wrote above. Here is a better clip, I should have turned up a little louder still, maybe when I have more time, but in a nut shell I'm never afraid to cut lows, sometimes severely. the gain is only on six as well...... plenty more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlSCIDpmPpE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sound very well balanced. Nice grunt in the low end, not super gainy. What
are you tuned to? Pickup? Speakers? Is that amp your current fav?

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:I think the fact that Tim C. is giving you advice pretty much says he now supports and open community for this mod given that Marshall is seriously going to be undercutting his business as the mod will no longer be "secret" or elite. Leave the layout up or even better, update it with what ya got now!
caswell seems to confirm that the basics are right. at least the two 10k cathodes are right. now we only need to experiment a little with the coupling cap values (22-2nf) and the resistor and bypass caps (470k/500pf)
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

joey

Post by joey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Cabbagebreeze wrote:
joey wrote:Cabbage Breeze

This is an addendum to what I wrote above. Here is a better clip, I should have turned up a little louder still, maybe when I have more time, but in a nut shell I'm never afraid to cut lows, sometimes severely. the gain is only on six as well...... plenty more

Sound very well balanced. Nice grunt in the low end, not super gainy. What
are you tuned to? Pickup? Speakers? Is that amp your current fav?
funny? your the second person to tell me that today, although I know I have other association with you, so you probably already heard them.(looking shifty eyed :wink: ).

I'm tuned to D using hands down the crappiest guitar I own.... one of those pint sized Ibanez travel guitars. I'm not sure what the pickups are, but I can't imagine anything worth mentioning. It's a V30 cab.

I would have to say that yes it is my current favorite because it is the only one I have in working order at the moment, which pretty much narrows it down. The amp is what it is. I had bigger plans for it, and used it as a test bed for something I wanted to try and sell at one point, but ran out of physical room to do everything right. Part of the circuitry is based on some mods I do for some locals. here are some gut shots:

timcas

Post by timcas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi, this is my 1st post here. I'd like to say that these Metro amps are outstanding - I've modded several and they sound as good or better than any vintage M@@@@ll,
and better than the reissues. Speaking of M@@@@ll, they have not yet contacted me about the AFD100, so I'd like to set a few things straight. #39, the amp Slash used in preproduction rehearsal for AFD, was a 1959T that Dolph Rempp (co-owner
of SIR) had just brought back from England. Since it was in such demand, just after I left SIR, Glenn Buckley, who put all the rental orders together and tested all the gear before it went out, asked my replacement Frank Levi to copy it. They used the closest amp there, a 1959 Super Lead, and had to add the extra tube. Glenn told me they changed a cap value or two, but it was essentially a copy of #39. Since #39
was rented (probably to George Lynch) when GNR went into the studio, they used the #36 copy. There were several JCM800s at SIR, but since they were so new,
the owners didn't want them modded. If anyone is interested, pdburnette has a
layout on Photobucket that is very close to the original #39.
Hope this clarifies things a little,
Tim Caswell

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:52 pm

wow! Tim Caswell visiting the forum!
What differences are there between his layout and the original #39?

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Yes! Welcome sir!
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

paulster

Post by paulster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:17 pm

+1. Welcome Tim.

RagnarMarGunn

Post by RagnarMarGunn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Second that, welcome Mr. Caswell.
Now I truly wish I had a 100W amp instead of my 50W to properly try out 1959-2203 Levi Switchable Extra Gain Stage Mod. It's the same starting point from SDM's 2203 Extra Gain Stage Mod I used for my 50W
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8318163
But it needs a 100W amp.....I'll just have to order the new Metro 2203 100W kit and start from there :-)
Last edited by RagnarMarGunn on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Ragnar Már

'67 JMP 50W
'82 JCM 800 1959
'83 JCM 800 2203
'87 2554
'09 Metro JMP 2204
'10 SDM 2550X
'10 Metro JMP 2203

Twiller

Post by Twiller » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm

I want to welcome you too, Tim Caswell, and give you a huge thank you for creating a tone that led me to learn playing guitar. And for the case Marshall didn't contact you at all regarding the AFD100 project I say shame on them!

RagnarMarGunn

Post by RagnarMarGunn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Marshall hasn´t been able to produce a decent amp for the past 20 years so I wouldn't worry that they will be able to copy Mr. Caswell's #39 in AFD 100. And for you guys I say, let's not worry, they'll F**K it up and it probably will sound dull. The collective effort of this forum is a lot more likely to succeed in doing a decent job that's faithful to the original and Mr. Caswell :-)
Regards
Ragnar Már

'67 JMP 50W
'82 JCM 800 1959
'83 JCM 800 2203
'87 2554
'09 Metro JMP 2204
'10 SDM 2550X
'10 Metro JMP 2203

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Great to have you with us Tim. I think it is safe to say that we all appreciate the work you did with 39 as well as your willingness to answer some of the questions surrounding the legendary S.I.R rental. Welcome!

Ragnar, the amp sounds good dude! Nice cut on the neck pickup. Are your values similar to pdburnette's or have you done something different in the tonestack to brighten things up?
Last edited by Kapo_Polenton on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 pm

timcas wrote:Hi, this is my 1st post here. I'd like to say that these Metro amps are outstanding - I've modded several and they sound as good or better than any vintage M@@@@ll,
and better than the reissues. Speaking of M@@@@ll, they have not yet contacted me about the AFD100, so I'd like to set a few things straight. #39, the amp Slash used in preproduction rehearsal for AFD, was a 1959T that Dolph Rempp (co-owner
of SIR) had just brought back from England. Since it was in such demand, just after I left SIR, Glenn Buckley, who put all the rental orders together and tested all the gear before it went out, asked my replacement Frank Levi to copy it. They used the closest amp there, a 1959 Super Lead, and had to add the extra tube. Glenn told me they changed a cap value or two, but it was essentially a copy of #39. Since #39
was rented (probably to George Lynch) when GNR went into the studio, they used the #36 copy. There were several JCM800s at SIR, but since they were so new,
the owners didn't want them modded. If anyone is interested, pdburnette has a
layout on Photobucket that is very close to the original #39.
Hope this clarifies things a little,
Tim Caswell
Wow, I'm a bit speechless, thank you for that Tim. As it's already been said here, welcome and thank you for your contribution to great tone. And come drop us a line here often!

I'm just trying to work some kinks out of my recording process with a new interface so I hope to have some clips soon. And man is she sounding sweet! I think there are some really cool tweaks here and there off of this architecture that get some unbelievable tones. I'll try to have some suggestions in some sort of written form just for sh!ts and giggles. After all this, why would anyone want a M@@@@ll? I think we can all agree that this labor of love produces a far superior amplifier. Again, thanks Tim and welcome!

antosimoni

Post by antosimoni » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 am

Hi Tim,
thanks for posting
can you tell me if original 1959T for #39 was using 6550 or EL34 ???
in loudspeakers we trust

timcas

Post by timcas » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:07 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The original #39 had Mullard EL34s, which are my all time favorite. My 1975 MKII has KT88s though, since it's plate voltage is so high it eats EL34s. I've had a lot of M@@@@lls on my bench, and I've seen plate voltages anywhere from just over 400 volts to well over 500. (100 watters). My guess is the output trannies vary similarly.
Tim Caswell