S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

6burgh
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Post by 6burgh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Okay, someone else please look at this page and tell me if I'm going crazy or if this is just some sick joke. It's a comment left by the user "tmcas" and it's signed Tim Caswell. :shock:

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx12 ... g&newest=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the link to my layout that I built awhile back... look at the comment left today about an hour ago. Has anybody else seen something like this on any of their sites? I'm highly doubtful this is the real deal but if so, then I'm a little bit blown away.

Cabbagebreeze

Post by Cabbagebreeze » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Looks legit to me. Email him to confirm.

joey

Post by joey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm betting the real deal!, In my experience you would be surprised how many people like to throw vague hints (or conversely mislead depending on who).

regarding the two back to back cold stages, this has been done in many other very good sounding pre's, including the CAE 3+. It really helps to refine the tone if you don't bypass them.

Cabbagebreeze

Post by Cabbagebreeze » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 pm

joey wrote:I'm betting the real deal!, In my experience you would be surprised how many people like to throw vague hints (or conversely mislead depending on who).

regarding the two back to back cold stages, this has been done in many other very good sounding pre's, including the CAE 3+. It really helps to refine the tone if you don't bypass them.
Hey Joe! Given your stance against treble peakers, and bypassed cathodes, do you prefer to limit the bass via coupling caps?

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:15 pm

Cabbagebreeze wrote:do you prefer to limit the bass via coupling
The unfortunate thing for me is that the layout is old and doesn't represent where I'm at now... speaking of which I changed values in that coupling cap... Now if I could only pick Tim's brain...

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Layout is old maybe but a good starting point for people who wanna play around I'd say! Plus it is awesome that it is switchable.. I really don't know where to start these days. Lots of cool things to play with. I want mine up and running by sat. I also came across a reverb unit that was supposedly used for the recordings of AFD (check minimite on youtube) and I am trying to get that to see how it might affect the sound. Maybe that cut comes also from the unit as it can boost and cut frequencies..yet another piece of the puzzle!

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Stop it, now you're just taunting me :wink: . I just got a new audio interface so I'll be posting clips starting tomorrow on my soundclick page as I tweak here and there. Close, getting close! And now I'm motivated from the kind words I got from the #39 man himself... groovy. 8)

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:55 pm

With your soundclips, make sure you do clips without EQ at the board and then with EQ. Remember, we are constantly trying to copy tones that are post production. The production (as has been said many times before on this site) had as much to do with that guitar/amp in the mix than the mod alone did. I truly believe that and I had an EQ setting saved within Cubase that I have called SlashI, SlashII , and Slash III. Can't figure out which one i prefer yet.

joey

Post by joey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Cabbagebreeze wrote:
joey wrote:I'm betting the real deal!, In my experience you would be surprised how many people like to throw vague hints (or conversely mislead depending on who).

Hey Joe! Given your stance against treble peakers, and bypassed cathodes, do you prefer to limit the bass via coupling caps?
Well I don't hate trebel peakers, nor bypassing cathodes, It's more that I think that there are appropriate times to use them over others, and even ways to manipulate the use of them.

as for the second question, lets just put it this way, I'm not afraid to cut bass, sometimes even with double pole filters. I don't see treble peakers as a way to limit bass, as much as I see them as a voicing tool. the potential divider they are coupled to has too much control over how much bass really gets limited, or how effective they are for me to consider them as a bass reduction method in that sense.

here's kind of a crappy clip I did late last night of one of my newer builds. I have to re do it, and turn up louder, you can hear the guitar too much. The camera doesn't quite catch all the wallop it has but I deffinately limited bass in this build.You can laugh if you want to, I don't really play this type of heavier music, so the phrasing may sound a little off. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0c8EDtCkgc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Kapo_Polenton wrote:With your soundclips, make sure you do clips without EQ at the board and then with EQ. Remember, we are constantly trying to copy tones that are post production. The production (as has been said many times before on this site) had as much to do with that guitar/amp in the mix than the mod alone did. I truly believe that and I had an EQ setting saved within Cubase that I have called SlashI, SlashII , and Slash III. Can't figure out which one i prefer yet.
Absolutely! I've already made a few clips already trying to dial in the mic preamps to a good volume (matching the attenuator and the PPIMV to get the sweet tone, but not clipping the sh!t out of the recording). And I'm going to try to work on some EQ'ing first thing tomorrow.

Two things: one important note so that my layout doesn't come across as terrible. I don't run the order of stages this way after simply trying the tone. I left it that way until I was satisfied I was in the right neighborhood, because it was the easiest way to wire things based off of SDM's original layout. I've since redone the switching so that V1a runs into V1b and then into the added tube. It is a bit quieter this way. Two, should I be pulling down my layout? I mean, I am a complete proponent of open information (kinda like open-source code, it just makes it better in the long run) but I certainly don't want to undermine this community as it's basically what gave me my start. Or is it already too late anyway and who gives a flying hoot... thoughts?

ACHIEVEIT

Post by ACHIEVEIT » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:49 pm

6burgh wrote:Okay, someone else please look at this page and tell me if I'm going crazy or if this is just some sick joke. It's a comment left by the user "tmcas" and it's signed Tim Caswell. :shock:

http://s737.photobucket.com/albums/xx12 ... g&newest=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the link to my layout that I built awhile back... look at the comment left today about an hour ago. Has anybody else seen something like this on any of their sites? I'm highly doubtful this is the real deal but if so, then I'm a little bit blown away.
A new comment was posted 11 mins ago, you might want to check it

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Bad ass man! Tim, if you are reading this forum, I want to buy you a beer.

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 pm

I think the fact that Tim C. is giving you advice pretty much says he now supports and open community for this mod given that Marshall is seriously going to be undercutting his business as the mod will no longer be "secret" or elite. Leave the layout up or even better, update it with what ya got now!

6burgh

Post by 6burgh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 pm

That's what I want to do in the end, but I wanted to make sure other agreed. I was actually planning on redoing the layout this weekend after getting my layout finalized (hopefully) regardless of this new development. I'm literally clipping in caps and resistors for quick sound checks and making clips. The only thing I haven't done (which I will do tomorrow) is blast the thing wide open to make some clips. Nothing like good speaker OD :twisted: . I'll repost when I get done.

joey

Post by joey » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 am

Cabbage Breeze

This is an addendum to what I wrote above. Here is a better clip, I should have turned up a little louder still, maybe when I have more time, but in a nut shell I'm never afraid to cut lows, sometimes severely. the gain is only on six as well...... plenty more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlSCIDpmPpE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;