Ceriatone Chupacabra

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

joey
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Ceriatone Chupacabra

Post by joey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm

FourT6and2 wrote:That "thing" between V1 and V2 is a hum/noise trimmer. Though it comes from Ceriatone all the way off.
Not so certain about that. I think it is the grid load for V2

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:49 pm

joey wrote:
harddriver wrote:What's the function of the second .0022uf cap on V1A that goes to ground with the cathode resistors?

Does it bleed high frequency to ground?

I've seen that on other Jose type mods. Always wondered exactly what it did.
yup, kills highs, it's exactly the same as putting it across the plate, or from plate to cathode on a bypassed stage.
That's good to know! Thanks for clarifying that Joey! :toast:

joey

Post by joey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Here you go my hungy little vultures. Here's the outline of the ChalupaGrande. I filled in some values as a teaser, but it is up to you Vultures to pick the rest of the bones clean. (I listed alot of the values anyway so it shouldn't be hard)

axeman

Post by axeman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Nope

joey

Post by joey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:24 pm

axeman wrote:Nope
as in hard? no it shouldn't be hard to fill in the blanks, but THAT is the outline of the Chupa, unless I missed something from my hand drawn notes of it

FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:19 pm

joey wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:That "thing" between V1 and V2 is a hum/noise trimmer. Though it comes from Ceriatone all the way off.
According to the literature that came with the amp, it is a "Pussy Trimmer."

The amp is "sent from our test bench with it at its maximum setting (out of circuit). If this background gain wash and tendency to feedback bothers you, you can turn down this control to reign in the amplifier‟s “gainiac” nature. The PUSSY TRIMMER is currently offered inside the amp (The 1M trim pot near V2 tube)."

I took this to mean it's a hum/noise trimmer.

NFB/Presence is 5KL pot, .1uF cap, 39k on 8ohm tap. Haven't looked at the resonance control yet.

joey

Post by joey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:35 pm

FourT6and2 wrote:
joey wrote:
According to the literature that came with the amp, it is a "Pussy Trimmer."

The amp is "sent from our test bench with it at its maximum setting (out of circuit). If this background gain wash and tendency to feedback bothers you, you can turn down this control to reign in the amplifier‟s “gainiac” nature. The PUSSY TRIMMER is currently offered inside the amp (The 1M trim pot near V2 tube)."

I took this to mean it's a hum/noise trimmer.

NFB/Presence is 5KL pot, .1uF cap, 39k on 8ohm tap. Haven't looked at the resonance control yet.
No, it's a just gain trimmer just like I show it in the scheme above, it's a 1Meg pot wired as a rheostat (variable resistor) from the grid of V2A to ground (if you open up your amp you will see it's wired straight to the grid of V2, and ground), it forms the grid load for V2A/potential divider with the 470K//470pf thats on the board. They call it the "pussy trimmer" because it will attenuate the signal/kill gain, and in the process hiss, thus when somebody thinks it's too gainy, and hissy for them, and they turn down the pot, they are a pussy.

Here I will make it even easier for you people!

I put in even more values for you guys, some of the empty values I already mentioned on here. if you cant complete the scheme from this, and what is written, then there's probably no hope for you :lol: ............ I'm only leaving the scheme up for a couple of hours, so grab it while you can

mensur

Post by mensur » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:40 pm

joey wrote:No, it's a just gain trimmer just like I show it in the scheme above, it's a 1Meg pot wired as a rheostat (variable resistor) from the grid of V2A to ground (if you open up your amp you will see it's wired straight to the grid of V2, and ground), it forms the grid load for V2A/potential divider with the 470K//470pf thats on the board. They call it the "pussy trimmer" because it will attenuate the signal/kill gain, and in the process hiss, thus when somebody thinks it's too gainy, and hissy for them, and they turn down the pot, they are a pussy.

I put in even more values for you guys, some of the empty values I already mentioned on here. if you cant complete the scheme from this, and what is written, then there's probably no hope for you :lol: ............ I'm only leaving the scheme up for a couple of hours, so grab it while you can
Joey is right about pussy pot :lol:
Here's the complete schematic with passive loop, if there's something to fix in the power amp please tell:
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/449/chuppacabra.png

joey

Post by joey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:49 pm

mensur wrote:Joey is right about pussy pot :lol:
Here's the complete schematic with passive loop, if there's something to fix in the power amp please tell:
Very close Mensur! thats 95% - 98% of it. the other 2-5% wont make a huge amount of a difference. you missed the 100K gridstopper though between the first and second stage.

FourT6and2

Post by FourT6and2 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:42 pm

mensur wrote:
joey wrote:No, it's a just gain trimmer just like I show it in the scheme above, it's a 1Meg pot wired as a rheostat (variable resistor) from the grid of V2A to ground (if you open up your amp you will see it's wired straight to the grid of V2, and ground), it forms the grid load for V2A/potential divider with the 470K//470pf thats on the board. They call it the "pussy trimmer" because it will attenuate the signal/kill gain, and in the process hiss, thus when somebody thinks it's too gainy, and hissy for them, and they turn down the pot, they are a pussy.

Joey is right about pussy pot :lol:
Like I said earlier, some of the component values are wrong (if this is supposed to be a schematic of the amp as Ceriatone built it).

Groovenut

Post by Groovenut » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Man I must be getting old.... I cant read most of the values with the schem that size

ughh.... age......
You've gotta love obsolete technology...

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by syscokid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 pm

joey wrote:
ryu wrote:what does "vultures" mean? my google tool can't translate it and I don't know why the only thing I can think of while reading is...

:lol:
Don't try to translate it just google it. It's used as a figure of speech anthropomorphically.
Thanks Joey...

Now I have to google "anthropomorphically".... :bang:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

joey

Post by joey » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 pm

Groovenut wrote:Man I must be getting old.... I cant read most of the values with the schem that size

ughh.... age......
Law, I wouldn't even bother, it's not even worth straining over. I have been playing with this concept quite a bit in these past few weeks as well as talking to people to try and figure out what all the fuss is about, and I came up with a pretty killer variation on this whole trend. I revoiced the preamp a bit, and I also utilize a slightly more complex network after the cf load that does some pretty funky stuff. I even gave it a pretty good name..... You want in?

Groovenut

Post by Groovenut » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:09 am

joey wrote:
Groovenut wrote:Man I must be getting old.... I cant read most of the values with the schem that size

ughh.... age......
Law, I wouldn't even bother, it's not even worth straining over. I have been playing with this concept quite a bit in these past few weeks as well as talking to people to try and figure out what all the fuss is about, and I came up with a pretty killer variation on this whole trend. I revoiced the preamp a bit, and I also utilize a slightly more complex network after the cf load that does some pretty funky stuff. I even gave it a pretty good name..... You want in?
Oh hell yeah I want in! You know I am always excited to see what you have cookin'
You've gotta love obsolete technology...

THChrist
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by THChrist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:18 am

Groovenut wrote:
joey wrote:

ughh.... age......
Oh hell yeah I want in! You know I am always excited to see what you have cookin'
can I join?