1967 Super Bass Build

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

kats
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: 1967 Super Bass Build

Post by kats » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Well keep in mind that the speakers weren’t apples to apples as the g12m heritage are the 20 watt spec (at least their version of it).

The obvious difference is that the mid peak is lower and a little better bass response on the vintage speaker, so automatically you’re going the get the impression of “smoother”. The vintage ones still bite though (in a good way) - they are not a soft dark speaker. I still think the modern Celestions are stiffer (even though my quad had been hammered on for 10 years) and don’t ride the line between bite and harsh quite as well as the older cones.

kats

Post by kats » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Funny thing, I put the Heritage G12m quad in a ‘69 B cab, and what a difference. Much smoother and closer to the Pulsonics that are now in the A cab in tonal balance. The higher mid peak is balanced out by a better low end for an overall smoother presentation.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

kats wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Funny thing, I put the Heritage G12m quad in a ‘69 B cab, and what a difference. Much smoother and closer to the Pulsonics that are now in the A cab in tonal balance. The higher mid peak is balanced out by a better low end for an overall smoother presentation.
Glad that worked out. I have a few prerola quads but they seem to be thin on the ground except at prices I am not prepared to pay. So I bought a pair of Heritage Ms for a BB combo resto.
Home they come up with the goods.
Neil

kats

Post by kats » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:51 am

It would be interesting if you would pass on your impressions once you’ve had a chance to compare!

Danhalen

Post by Danhalen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Well life got busy, was spending a lot of time playing music, time passed etc etc. Anyhow, with more time on my hands at the moment, I have finally returned to this '67 100 watt build. I will post some pics in the next couple of days to show my progress. So far I have the heater wiring done and have started mounting some hardware. I am basically just getting going on the build. Only took almost a year to get down to it... I am wondering if I should post my progress here or start a new thread to keep it tidy. I am also not sure if I should really put it in the DIY builds section, keep it in the Marshall section, or start the thread in the Metroamp kits section. :shrug:

Also, I made a couple mods to my 50 watter. I added back a 100pf bright cap, removed one of the preamp dropping resistors and lowered the filtering to JTM 50 specs. Now it has 32uf mains, 32uf screens, 16uf PI and dual 32 preamp. I really like this level of filtering. I love how it lets the harmonics ring in such a pleasant way and the 'give' in the amp happens at a cleaner setting than before, which for me is better. I can definitely see that for dirtier sounds, the higher filtering might be better for some players. One effect that I am also noticing is a little bit hard to put into words. It seems as though the midrange is a bit more emphasized, but is is almost as though the most 'sag' happens most in the highs and lows. When the amp is turned up some and I really dig in, it sort of makes the mids sing more. The effect is subtle but really nice. I am sticking with this setup for now.

I hope you all are staying safe during this crazy time!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:06 pm

Keep it coming here ! :thumbsup:
Neil