Restoring av '72 SB - Will 0,022uF/160V NOS Mustard caps be fine or do I need higher voltage versions?

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

CarlM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Restoring av '72 SB - Will 0,022uF/160V NOS Mustard caps be fine or do I need higher voltage versions?

Post by CarlM » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:00 am

I am restoring a '72 Super Bass which has had its preamp replaced by a preamp on a separate board by a previous owner. Apart from the preamp section which was empty except for the turrets, the rest of the amp was untouched when I bought it, except for the presence control and the ware-out-parts like the tubes and some caps in the PSU.

I managed to source some 0,022uF/160V NOS Mustard caps, but the question is will they be safe to use in the preamp section of an old SB? Or do I need to replace them with higher voltage Mustard caps which are more challenging to source.

The amp is now up and running with the restored preamp and the 0,022uF/160V caps fitted. The only thing left to do is to change the presence pot and its cap. (Which are working fine, but not true to 1972 specs) But the amp sounds great along with the matching '71/'72 1982A/B cabs, however I need to be sure that the 160V caps in the preamp are safe to use for long term use.