Rockstah's DI guitar clip, for reamping UPDATE May 2013

Share your YouTube videos or upload your mp3's.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Rockstah's DI guitar clip, for reamping UPDATE May 2013

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:43 am

Here's the clip that Rockstah sent me and I reamped through various amps to make my youtube clips.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1790493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New upload location:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/646 ... DI_GTR.wav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RIP Mark, please use this file with all due respect to the departed.

You'll want to run this clean DI track into a guitar amp at guitar levels. Typically 50-100mV. Ideally through a reamping device, which will provide the correct impedance.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

mayrandp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Rockstah's DI guitar clip, for reamping

Post by mayrandp » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Well, when I listen to that clip (not reamped), I'm not sure that I still believe that tone is in the hands of the player anymore. Sounds pretty wimpy without an amp! :lol:

Kidding aside, it's cool that you posted that. Thanks!

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:11 pm

haha! one could see it the other way... listen to the DI clip and realize... whoa!... this is the technique to get "the sound!!" :lol: :wink:

Mark

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:34 pm

What exactly constitutes a "reamping device" for impedance matching?

mayrandp

Post by mayrandp » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:06 am

rockstah wrote:haha! one could see it the other way... listen to the DI clip and realize... whoa!... this is the technique to get "the sound!!" :lol: :wink:
Seriously, you're right. Listening to that clip is like listening to a horn player blowing through his embouchure only, without the horn attached to it. To me, it just shows that the amp is a big part of the electric guitar as 'an instrument'. It's not just the guitar itself that is the instrument but the whole signal chain.

I'm curious Mark, when you recorded that DI clip, did you use an amp (or an amp simulator) or not?

mayrandp

Post by mayrandp » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:08 am

Flames1950 wrote:What exactly constitutes a "reamping device" for impedance matching?
Don't know much about reamping but I've heard about that device: http://www.reamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:34 am

A reamp device is like using a DI box backwards. Going from line level, low impedance to guitar level high impedance.

I use the Radial X-Amp. But there are several options, both active and passive.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:51 pm

rockstah wrote:haha! one could see it the other way... listen to the DI clip and realize... whoa!... this is the technique to get "the sound!!" :lol: :wink:

Mark
+1 ! I hear a player with an extremely clean technique: All notes are picked cleanly, no extra string noises, damping even when playing fast. Great playing, as usual from Mark. This is different from going direct: You adjust to that thin, precise sound. But when you do it like this, you are playing the amp, and with high gain and effects it will mask mistakes. And even than Mark plays very clean.. :shock: .

So the tone is in the hands: Garbage in, Garbage out, and luckily the opposite is true too..

I´ve tried it, and it is a sobering experience... :oops:
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:57 pm

mayrandp wrote:Well, when I listen to that clip (not reamped), I'm not sure that I still believe that tone is in the hands of the player anymore. Sounds pretty wimpy without an amp! :lol:

Well, that's quite a slam to a guy that has devoted his waking life to learning, playing and teaching the guitar. And who also unselfishly shares his knowledge with us here on the boards. Mark is a dedicated musician and artist.

If that's how you hear it I suggest you get your ears cleaned out or go back to school.

Let's hear your "naked" clips mayran. I seriously doubt you'll sound like Mark.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 pm

mayrandp wrote:
Seriously, you're right. Listening to that clip is like listening to a horn player blowing through his embouchure only, without the horn attached to it. To me, it just shows that the amp is a big part of the electric guitar as 'an instrument'. It's not just the guitar itself that is the instrument but the whole signal chain.

I'm curious Mark, when you recorded that DI clip, did you use an amp (or an amp simulator) or not?
i plugged .( i used a strat with a darkbrust pickup ) straight into my digi 002r and in protools used amplitube i did this for the very reason that if i were going be plugged into an amp i would want to feel and use technique to get the sound out of the instrument. i used the amp emulator so i could feel like I'm playing an amp.
i would play alot different listening to the DI signal and then it would sound wacky going through a dimed 100watt plexi!. ;)

Mark

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:A reamp device is like using a DI box backwards. Going from line level, low impedance to guitar level high impedance.

I use the Radial X-Amp. But there are several options, both active and passive.

VG
Yeah, but you can't actually use a typical DI box backwards, can you? (I've never tried............) I think I have a couple of DI's here somwhere......maybe.......

mayrandp

Post by mayrandp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:32 am

NY Chief wrote:
mayrandp wrote:Well, when I listen to that clip (not reamped), I'm not sure that I still believe that tone is in the hands of the player anymore. Sounds pretty wimpy without an amp! :lol:

Well, that's quite a slam to a guy that has devoted his waking life to learning, playing and teaching the guitar. And who also unselfishly shares his knowledge with us here on the boards. Mark is a dedicated musician and artist.

If that's how you hear it I suggest you get your ears cleaned out or go back to school.

Whoa! Let's clear something up: MY FIRST POST WAS INTENDED AS A JOKE (I though that the :lol: emoticon and starting my next sentence with 'Kidding aside...' made that obvious). Never did I wanted to bash or denigrate someone else playing because I'm really not in the position of doing so and that to denigrate someone goes against my values.

If we compare the reamped clips to the clean DI track, I think it's obvious that the DI track doesn't sound as rich as the reamped ones, right? That's what my 'funny' remark was about: joking that the amps did all the work and that the tone is not in the hands of the player (which we know it ain't true). I was joking when I said that 'touch' has nothing to do with getting a great sound. We all know that a great touch is the foundation of great tone. My comment was not meant to denigrate Mark's playing which I think is always stellar.

I have a lot of respect for Mark (in fact, for all the members on the forum here) and the last thing that I want to do is to insult anyone here.

If I offended someone trying to be funny, I'm really, really sorry. That was not my intention here at all.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:24 am

Aah, internet humor.....a touchy subject at best.

mayrandp

Post by mayrandp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:05 am

Flames1950 wrote:Aah, internet humor.....a touchy subject at best.
Well, let's say that I've learned my lesson. I'll be more careful next time! :D Also, you have to know that I'm not really fluent in english (I speak french) so what I might want to write in english might not come across as I really intended.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:27 am

mayrandp wrote:
NY Chief wrote:

Whoa! Let's clear something up: MY FIRST POST WAS INTENDED AS A JOKE (I though that the :lol: emoticon and starting my next sentence with 'Kidding aside...' made that obvious). Never did I wanted to bash or denigrate someone else playing because I'm really not in the position of doing so and that to denigrate someone goes against my values.

If we compare the reamped clips to the clean DI track, I think it's obvious that the DI track doesn't sound as rich as the reamped ones, right? That's what my 'funny' remark was about: joking that the amps did all the work and that the tone is not in the hands of the player (which we know it ain't true). I was joking when I said that 'touch' has nothing to do with getting a great sound. We all know that a great touch is the foundation of great tone. My comment was not meant to denigrate Mark's playing which I think is always stellar.

I have a lot of respect for Mark (in fact, for all the members on the forum here) and the last thing that I want to do is to insult anyone here.

If I offended someone trying to be funny, I'm really, really sorry. That was not my intention here at all.
no worries man. your post didnt bother me at all. ;)

Mark