'67 replica with new Sozo caps sound clip

Share your YouTube videos or upload your mp3's.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:47 pm

The modern boost is tough with marshalls when your using LPs.

tWreCK

Post by tWreCK » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:16 am

Thx for the panama clip george - that confirmed this amp might not be what I'm looking for. It still sounds absolutely awesome - just not what I want. I'll bet it nails the Monterey tone though? I think what I'm looking for is the 12000 series plexi you make. Do you have any clips of of that particular amp? I would love to hear some :)

Btw, what's the difference between this transitional '67 (JTM 100?) and the 12000 series amp? Is it the filtering, bright cap etc? It's kinda confusing keeping track of all the different transitional models.............
Last edited by tWreCK on Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:40 am

VelvetGeorge wrote:Here's a clip with the TMB pedal on the modern setting. The drive is nice but there is way too much lows. No doubt due to the 330uf shared cathode in V1 and the .1uf phase invertor caps.

George
George, As you said, Some unwanted low end frequency booming thru on that one. YOu can hear how your amp really wants to shine through however.
Dave at Legendarytones.com told me he used his 1981 JCM800 2203 with 6550s for the model amp to which the Time Machine circuit was built around.
In my heart of hearts an optimum outboard unit to run with a plexi clone or JTM45 non master volume-type amp is with a 12ax7 tube driven pedal. Question is . WHich one is best.
The owner of www.pedaldoctor.com told me that prototype #1-#2 of the "Valvedriver" are used by Eric Johnson currently. Johnny Lang recorded his entire last album with the same unit. Maybe you should look into that one to post some clips with your amps perhaps? Just a thought.
The build quality on this pedal is impeccable! Good stuff.
$400.00 is the cost. So youll pay to play this one!
Attachments
vd2.jpg
(209.65 KiB) Downloaded 3952 times
valve driver #1.jpg
(209.65 KiB) Downloaded 3952 times
Last edited by daneswede on Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:49 am

pic #2 valve driver.
Wanted to add. This design is based on the original Chandler tube driver from the eighties. Differance is , the updates on this unit include a True Bypass, improved Trans. and circuitry. Their is also the elimination of any hum in the Transformer. For those of you in the know about the old Chandler Tube Driver. They were NOISY as all heak! Not this unit! Cheers
JIMI H :D

Edit: I like to run these tubedriven type pedals with the EQ flat. OR straight up in this particular case. IMO, My 1981 JCM800 2203 should provide all the EQ frequencies ill need to shape my tone. I feel that strictly utilizing the gain and level features of this unit are best when running the Treble and Bass straight up or FLAT. I realize this is strictly a subjective thing so it may not be your flavoring!:>)
Attachments
valve #3.jpg
(124.17 KiB) Downloaded 3947 times

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:10 pm

Great pics! I should try a tube driven pedal with this amp.

I'm glad the clip illustrated what this amp does in contrast to the later 12 series 100's. The larger caps, 2" OT, shared cathode, G12H's ect all combine for a low end heavy tone. Adding the modern boost puts the low end over the edge.

The '66 and '73 boosts on the TMB gave it absolute classic rock bliss. I'll get some clips of that up later this week.
The lows rolled off and the mids punch through dramtically. I could easily choose this combo for my desert island setup.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:22 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Great pics! I should try a tube driven pedal with this amp.

I'm glad the clip illustrated what this amp does in contrast to the later 12 series 100's. The larger caps, 2" OT, shared cathode, G12H's ect all combine for a low end heavy tone. Adding the modern boost puts the low end over the edge.

The '66 and '73 boosts on the TMB gave it absolute classic rock bliss. I'll get some clips of that up later this week.
The lows rolled off and the mids punch through dramtically. I could easily choose this combo for my desert island setup.

George
George, You talk to Dan SPitz lately? Dave spitz is pretty much full timing it at the law office in Boca Raton with his partner now. I am now playing with a differant Bass Player named Danny Danov. He has some national creds to his name and is a monster player. Reminds me of Jaco Pastorious. HEs a mean brew!
Anyway,YES This Valve Driver is In My Opinion one of the warmest, quiet, toneful 12ax7 pedals I have owned as of late. THe last ime I even was really into a tube pedal was the CHandler tube driver and the Real TUbe BK Butler. To be honest what got me back on this whole 12x7 pedal kick is ERic Johnson. HE actually endorses and uses/ tries out everything under the sun. The valvedriver included. I really find that the Valve driver sounds best when coupled with a nonmaster volume amp as opposed to say my JCM800. It sounds good with my JCM800 however it is very full sounding and really shines most with an amp that has less gain in its stock form. I have been using it with a 1989 Marshall JTM45 stock. no mods (YET!!). For $400 bucks it should! i havent found anything that beats the Valvedriver for boosting a plexi or JTM45 clone-nonmaster volume amp. I am really gasing to hear your 66 Replica JTM45/100 amp! I think that is the one for me. If I buy it the first thing ill do is post some clips of it with the Valvedriver!!I also want to try the ANalogman NKT275 FUzz. I know that type of gain is not for everyone and may not suoit my needs either but i still would like to give it a shot. My favorite tone is my 1981 JCM800 2203with a Klon Centaur set to clean boost. Has that midrange/bottom end thing going on. Very articulate-tubey and has a biting gain structure. I just have been longing to go in the non master volume direction for a while now and expand my horizon with the vintage stuff!! I have heard a few differant clones of the Marshalls and you really got it NAILED GEORGE!
Last edited by daneswede on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:26 pm

George
Yeah. The 73 is really good. You can even bring the bass knob up high with it on amd its still tight and clear as hell.

This product actually looks pretty cool from that page linked in the add above http://www.pedaldoctor.com/images/Q-Bias_Pro1.JPG

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:31 pm

Billy Batz wrote:

George
what is that thing? i way to bias your tubes or what?
Yeah. The 73 is really good. You can even bring the bass knob up high with it on amd its still tight and clear as hell.

This product actually looks pretty cool from that page linked in the add above http://www.pedaldoctor.com/images/Q-Bias_Pro1.JPG

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:48 pm

Man, I didnt catch that unit on pedaldoctors website before. IT looks like a Bias tool to match your EL34s-6L6s-etc...? Ill have to write to him about that one. That thing is awesome! One things for sure. RUnning the Valvedriver through the 89JTm45 reissue is unreall sounding IMO!! THe guy makes some rightous pedals! I stumbled onto his website one night, struck up a conversation with him abou tthe Valvedriver and that was that! Eric Johnson has good taste!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:59 pm

It certianly has my interest. Ive always wanted a Butler Tube Driver. The TB and better trany makes it a nice buy but I dont have $400 right now.

daneswede

Post by daneswede » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:44 pm

Billy Batz wrote:It certianly has my interest. Ive always wanted a Butler Tube Driver. The TB and better trany makes it a nice buy but I dont have $400 right now.
I would say that a less expensive tube driven pedal which still sounds good is the TOnebone ot British. Not quite a Valvedriver but gets the job there! It is a little more affordable to at $150ish! Ive run this one thru the 1989 JTM45 reissue as well and it sounded good.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:59 pm

Billy Batz wrote:It certianly has my interest. Ive always wanted a Butler Tube Driver. The TB and better trany makes it a nice buy but I dont have $400 right now.
So build one. You've got nothing better to do until your new SoZos show up, other than spend all day here. :wink:

I had the schematic here somewhere.........

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:01 am

Huh, that schem disappeared 'cause I can't find it now. Musta decided I'd never build one anyway, otherwise I'd have sent it to you and kept you out of the taverns for a couple of days.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:53 am

that schematic has some bad noise issues apparently. Im not god at building pedals. I dont know why.

Ricky Lee
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Ricky Lee » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:21 pm

George, I know this is a little off topic, but where are the flat lip cabs on the Metro site, so I can order?
May the good Lord take a liking to you!

http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... i%2012xxx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;