12 Series plexi sound clips

Share your YouTube videos or upload your mp3's.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:05 am

Hi Larry,
Listen to the clips of the Peacemaker on Vic's website and listen to the clips of the Metro 12000 and tell me what you feel the differences are....remember, I said I was looking for the early EVH sound, not a 67' Plexi sound....if there is a difference. Like I said in my last e-mail, I want to do more research but am I only going off of the recent clips of the Metro, which didnt have that sound....again, not jumping to conclusions, just going off of what I heard between the 2 clips is all.
MARC34

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 am

MARCO wrote:Hi Larry,
Listen to the clips of the Peacemaker on Vic's website...
Until now I only knew the clips from the Mojave's website. There are some, I don't like too much - and unfortunately they're not recorded absolutely dry.

But I'll give it a try! Maybe you could post me a link here to Vic's website?

Thanks, Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

VHoholic

Post by VHoholic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:02 am

I must be missing something here? I've been recording amps for years and what i'm hearing when i listen to these 12000 series clips is an incredible sounding amp BUT with a not so good recording. I can hear that right off the bat. From my experiences with amps, regardless of how incredible it may sound in the room, if it's not recorded properly then that will make or brake the whole listening experience. You can make the best sounding Plexi in the world sound less than what it is if it's not recorded the right way. I wouldn't change a thing on that amp. Just my 2c....

PlexiMan

Post by PlexiMan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:20 am

VH, I agree 100%..Not apples to apples...the mojave clips are wet like Larry mentioned and mics, guitar, software, interfaces etc...and of course the player ALL play a part in a recorded sound..i think it sounds great as is but if recorded a little different would be phenominal..George obviously recorded these clips quickly here to meet the popular demand but i hear the tone in there.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:20 am

VHoholic wrote:I must be missing something here? I've been recording amps for years and what i'm hearing when i listen to these 12000 series clips is an incredible sounding amp BUT with a not so good recording. I can hear that right off the bat. From my experiences with amps, regardless of how incredible it may sound in the room, if it's not recorded properly then that will make or brake the whole listening experience. You can make the best sounding Plexi in the world sound less than what it is if it's not recorded the right way. I wouldn't change a thing on that amp. Just my 2c....
I second that. Im very famililar with marshall and I totally agree about those clips, but I can hear how those clips sound just like my marshalls but at the same time its different. Its like a crime scene photograph. Every perspective you take a photo from tells a different story.
Last edited by Billy Batz on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:26 am

i third that - marry that thing with the right speakers, guitar and even execution of the riffs( its all in the fingers ;) ) as well as the way its recorded and it will scream 12 series/evh plexi

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:22 am

To Larry:
www.mojaveampworks.com

I agree with all of you but I get very leary when you hear a clip like that and fork out $2400 based on opinions....I just want to hear more clips so I can make a formal decision. I am sure you guys can understand what I mean. The Peacemaker clips, such as "Unchained" has little to no f/x other than the MXR Flanger. I guess it's just a wait and see type thing.....I want to know as much as I can about the Metro 12-series before I make a decision....that's where you guys come in.....I do appreciate the knowledge and info you guys bring to the table.
8)

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 am

george needs to fix the site - one must have a user name to post in the forum - period

purple

Post by purple » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:27 am

rockstah wrote:george needs to fix the site - one must have a user name to post in the forum - period
it is easy in the control panel

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:50 am

Id rather George keep focusing on making great amps and parts :) Maybe some of the members here can help with more clips. Like I said if I can I will today or tomorrow.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:23 pm

Wow! I took some Nyquil last night and got some rest, not there's 1 1/2 pages of new posts!

This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'll try to touch on many points that have been made.

Bluesbishop and Marco: thank you for being honest. I have to agree that these clips are not capturing that "magic". I sent 3 days micing, recording, moving the mics, recording again, blending different mics ect. I just can't seem to capture the essense of standing in front of this amp.

Unlike the '67 where you could throw a 57 on the floor in the same room and get classic sounding clips.

Peacemaker: great amp, not an exact replica. We're going for two completely different things. The PM may be better suited for you if you're looking for VH1.

Clips: I know, I need to build a Strat with a PAF, I just haven't had time. My LP has a pretty mellow tone, I bought it from a jazz cat. Then I put in old T tops from a '68 SG. The measure at 7.35k That's low output to get VH IMO.

I did get out my Explorer, but the 500T just doesn't do it for me. That's on the other end of the spectrum with 15K DCR.

How about the Kansas clip? I thought it had great punchy mids and solid lows. Cuts through great, and sounds classic. Just a 57 right on the grill for that one.

I personally am dead set against EQ'ing my clips or burrying them in FX (not saying that the PM is). That defeats the purpose. It's hard enough to buy an amp online without ever playing it in person, let alone if all you have to go by are manipulated clips.
I try to keep the recording chain as simple and straightforward as possible. Essentially, what it will sound like when you put a 57 on the cab.

Like I said, thanks for the comments and keep them coming. I'll make more clips when I get the next one finished.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Bluesbishop

Post by Bluesbishop » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:12 pm

George,

Thanks for alll of your feedback :D I think we all appreciate how difficult it is to get a great sound clip. Maybe VHoholic can give us all some great advice on what he used to get that great sound on his clips :lol: Mics, placement, software, pre or post eq, etc

I would love to hear that amp in VHoholic's hands ! Nothing against you george,your a great player, but that boy really has the Eddie Vibe going..That's why I don't even attempt VH...I've got too much page and SRV in my veins to do Eddie justice 8)

Maybe some clips without VH playing along in the other speaker...Just the 1200 series :D

VHoholic

Post by VHoholic » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:44 pm

Bluesbishop wrote:.....Maybe VHoholic can give us all some great advice on what he used to get that great sound on his clips :lol: Mics, placement, software, pre or post eq, etc.....
I just use one SM57. I angle it different ways depending on what amp/speakers i'm using at the time. To start out i would personally try pointing the mic straight in pressed up against the grill cloth about an inch to the right of dead center. If that sounds too trebly then move it over to the right about a half an inch at a time and do a quick test recording until it's perfect. That's exactly how i capture what i'm hearing in the room as far as eq goes. At times i'll even move it over a centimeter and hear the change that i want, i know, it's nuts LOL. The software i use is Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 and i plug straight in with no mic pre's or anything like that to clutter or color the sound in any way. My Plexi RI and SL setup is really simple. Guitar -> straight into the upper left input, no EQ's or pedals at all, -> SM57 straight into the computers line-in and that's it.

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:46 pm

I've owned the Peacemaker and played it extensively. I also own a Scorpion.

The Peacemaker just didn't do it IMHO. It sounded harsh....I may get flamed for saying that but I am just being honest. The Scopion is a much different beast.. Warm and Killer...

I just know that George's 12XXX series amps come closer...The componants are closer to the right type and real thing. Vic makes great amps...but the choice of resistors, caps amoung other things changes the basic tone we are trying to achieve on this board. IMO.
Star*Guitar

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:49 pm

Different strokes. I just always try to press to anyone not to judge from sound clips. ANything marshalls are capable of doing Metro amps can do. Whether they do it 75% as well as your brothers 68 or 100% or 75% etc... who can say? But I think Ill be playing my new 67 a lot more then my real Super Bass.