Mark Wood?

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Mark Wood?

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:10 pm

Anybody ever hear of Mark Wood. He's another guy a girl friend dragged me to see years ago in the same dump I saw Vai in. She says you're gonna love this. The guy comes in a pulls out a VIOLIN I was "WTF" is this? I wanna see guitar players. Well this mother fucker plugged into a Marshall half stack with a wah wah and a fuzz and proceeded to play and sound like f'n Hendrix, Zeppelin, Deep Purple...you name it. Blew me the fuck away. He's building his own 6 string violins now and taking his act to schools all across the country to get kids into playing.

He even had a double neck violin that he built. It worked on a swivel. He could rotate each neck into position as he needed it. I can't tell you how fuckin amazing this guy is.

Here's a quote on his website (you listening, Dave? )

"Yngwie Malmsteen - "This music is totally different from anything else I've heard! Totally different. When I came around the first time, everybody said 'this is weird.' Yet that's the initial thing to do; something that no one else has done. That's very important. Mark Wood's done that. It's completely nuts! It's great!"

Go to "gallery" pull down "audio" and listen to some of his work...amazing.

http://www.markwoodmusic.com/html/about.html
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Eargasm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Eargasm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:14 pm

He's fantastic! There are so few real musicians anymore, it's just a breath of fresh air when someone does finally show up and put the world on it's ear. I always hoped that Jean Luc Ponty to do something like this, but now after hearing Mark's work, I am glad he didn't.
This guy is going to change things...
Thanks Chief.
Fuck it.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:43 pm

HOLY SHIT! I forgot how good Mark is. Guys, you gotta hear this.

You want JIMI???? :twisted:

Go to his site, http://www.markwoodmusic.com/html/news.html

go to gallery pull down and click audio. When the player comes up click on the + next to "Mark Wood - Studio" then click the + on "Favorite Things" scroll down to Manic Depression or Purple Haze. This is what I heard that night in a little shit bar in '81-'82 just when VH 1 came out.
There's also a song on there that is pure Satriani as well.

Here's another interesting thing from his website...

STEVE VAI AND MARK WOOD - TOGETHER AT LAST!
It gives us unbelievable extraordinary goosebump-moment pleasure to officially announce that FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! Mark Wood will be sharing the stage with Steve Vai as his opening act during selected dates on the east coast leg of Vai's current tour!

For YEARS, we've been receiving emails from Mark's fans suggesting (and hoping for) something like this and it is at long last going to be a reality!

Mark has known Steve since high school and remembers fondly being in Steve's room at his parent's house playing demo tracks on cassette tape of metal violin in its very embryonic stages. Mark will never forget Steve's reaction: applause and gasps of amazement! How cool is THAT???

According to Mark, Steve Vai's approach to music has closely mirrored his own and has consistently been a source of inspiration.

This is an honor of the highest degree and you can be assured that this is a show that no one is going to want to miss!!!!!

Mark will be performing with all the members of The Mark Wood Experience (as the band is now called), including Jeff Plate on drums (TSO, Savatage, Metal Church), Paul Ranieri on bass, Jon Bivona on guitar (TSO), Sean Meagher on keys, and Laura Kaye on vocals! (Visit the Other Links page on the site and you'll find links to everyone's websites and myspace pages.)

The dates are as follows:

9/25

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:52 pm

Yes I do. I had his CD haven't listened to it in years. I seem to remember it was mostly classical type stuff. I enjoyed it then probably still would.

chubs

Post by chubs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:56 pm

I saw him in... 199x... can't remember... 92' ?I remember it was a shool night... I drove out in my Pontiac Firefly. It was a Roxanne's in Hull Quebec (Near Ottawa...) that was the place man!!! Every upcomming band player there... It was awesome... All the ontario bands would come out and see these amazing bands.... Metallica ended up there after their Ottawa And justice for all show...

Back to Mark... Man he's loud... hell of a nice guy... sounded amazin 15 years ago... so I guess he's even better... Got an autograph.. He has a violin that is a hand on his shoulder... pretty fucking cool!!!

Back when you could see a decent band in ottawa.... Gouverment town... borring...

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:01 pm

Yes Voodoo Violience or something, remember seeing his ad in Guitar Mags, played heavy metal violin, sort of like Yngwie :lol: :lol:
Cool Chief, good call...
yngwie308
Last edited by yngwie308 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chubs

Post by chubs » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Reminds me of Paganini... looks posesed....

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:16 pm

Mark is a really cool guy. I lost track of him for quite a while. I was at a NAMM show in '98 when I was telling a friend about this wild violin player. I turned the corned and there was Mark. He saw me first and said "Hey Mike! How you been?' I hadn't seen this guy in years and even them was just an aquiantance.

He's building production violins now but back then he built really wild stuff. He designed a harness that holds the violin to his chest. He had one that looked like the stump of arm cut off at the elbow and the hand sat on his chest. He had the Dragonlin was watch a very ornate dragon body with the dragons head serving as the headstock.The double neck was relly cool too.

It helps that he was a musical genius and child prodigy, Juliard, etc.
He's quite a classical player as you would expect.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Yup. I remember him.
I lost track of him somewhere ? :shock:
Love that Hendrix stuff.

Love Jean Luc as well as Eddie Jobson who's resurfacing...

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

St August

Post by St August » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:36 pm

Mark Wood What? :lol: :lol: :lol:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:58 pm

St August wrote:Mark Wood What? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not sure I wanna know.... :shock:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"