Randy Rhoads

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Well i have been listening to the 81' show that was part of that zip file and I have to say that there were def touch ups for the tribute stuff lol (like any live album really) The tone in that live show isn't that great actually as i find it really chorusy.. did he change his tone later in 81 and into 82 before his death? I have heard clips from other shows and the tone was a lot more dry and less chorus soaked. There is also this weird pitch shift thing + delay that you hear kicked on now and again and i am really not sure what that is all about as it sounds messy. But hell, not everyone can be spot on every night so two thumbs up. I also notice that he has that MXR distortion + pumped wide open and that fizzy tone is probably from the combination of that and his speakers.... thankgod people stood in the audience with tape recorders back then. All these classic live moments would be lost and it always bugged me how Ozzy suppressed all the stuff that was less than stellar.

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:28 am

I was in no way knocking Randy. He's my Fav, with Ed coming in a close second. I was thinking...what would it be like to conbine the two...Randy's playing with Ed's tone. :shock:
~guitar007

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:10 pm

Thanks for the lnk. I really enjoyed the show they had on there. I know Tribute and all of Ozzy's live albums were cleaned up, but DAMN... he at times just sounded dreadful.

Randy is probably my 2nd fave of all time, behind Jimi, but I've never been crazy about his tone. I've heard worse, but Tribute sounded too fizzy/buzzy.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:49 am

thanks for the link TJ. it was interesting to hear randy talk. hes a smart guy and knew his shit on the instrument.
seems like he had more than a simple grasp of theory and he practiced his ass off thats for sure.

Mark

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:49 pm

I noticed that too..really fluid in some spots and messy in others. Then again, this is any given night and on some of the other bootlegs he is sharp as hell. I also think we need to take into account that some of the screw ups are do to Ozzy picking him up or getting in his face all the time lol... watch some of the old footage, he is trying to stay away from Ozzy. :P :P