Stryper

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Yngve
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Stryper

Post by Yngve » Mon May 19, 2008 1:36 am

Any Stryper fans here? Loved there catching tunes and twin guitar harmony lines, the tone was pretty thick and compressed.

Does anybody know there live setup and what kind amps they used on tour and studio?

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:08 am

Some great 80's riffage, but not very inspiring tone. Michael Sweet on drums is what always stood out in that band.

"The Way" was a great song with some great playing.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

miguel

Re: Stryper

Post by miguel » Mon May 19, 2008 11:13 am

Yngve wrote:Does anybody know there live setup and what kind amps they used on tour and studio?
Not for sure, but I always heard that Michael Sweet started out using Marshalls (probably JCM800, maybe modded) boosted with a parametric eq, with a line out to a Mesa/Boogie D180. They might have gone all-Mesa later.

BTW - Robert Sweet was/is the drummer. :wink: They were great live... but they really went overboard with the syrupy-pop-glam thing after "To Hell With the Devil".

Back then that gained-out-parametric-eq'd Marshall tone seemed pretty cool. I still have a rack mount parametric from the '80s... gathering dust in the attic. :roll:
"Put your message in a modem and throw it in the Cyber Sea"