Reproducing AC/DC's "Back in Black Tone"

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Re: Reproducing AC/DC's "Back in Black Tone"

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Great tone SoloDallas !

The whole 'vega' wireless unit has got me to thinking. It KILLED EVH's tone, but for Angus, maybe it was benificial BEYOND live work. An SG into a 1959 or 2203 could use some 'help', so your findings make sense.

I hear a similar sound on Journey's 'Stone In Love' rhythm track. Maybe 'ol Neal Schon had a similar idea as Angus's ?

As a previous post stated, late '70's to mid '80's Marshall cabs had the 65 watt celestions. My '82 or '83 cab has that '260' watt bit on the back, though I have 25 watt greenback '6402' speakers in it at the moment.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

SoloDallas
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by SoloDallas » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:48 am

Thank you guys.
The 65 cones thought has struck me too, for now I dont have any cab loaded with those, but I will.
However, Platt stated that specificslly BinB was recorded mostly with lower wattage spekaers, as they'd crunch more esily.
This i why I have concentrated on older original G12Ms.

Believe guys, this thing sings!

jimmy_j

Post by jimmy_j » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm not trying to thread crap, but I don't really understand all of the excitement over the Back In Black tone? I admit that this thread and the SoloDallas site has some intriguing tone-chasing aspect to it. In fact I was so inspired that I had to bust out some AC/DC and listen to it on headphones today while at work.
The BIB tone is compressed and doesn't really hold a candle to the Highway To Hell tone. The production on the BIB album is more commercial and mainstream that HTH too. The guitars are further back in the mix. The other part that I don't really get is that this is an easy tone to pull off with any decent 1987/1959/2203/2204 amp? Feed a short scale guitar with PAF type humbuckers into a cranked Marshall w/4x12 and go. I would even go as far as to say that it's Malcolm that has the killer tone in AC/DC. His track on HTH sounds thicker and fuller. If HTH sounds better because the wireless didn't get used, I would plug a cable in and be done with it.
What am I missing here?

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:59 am

Jimmy,
you're not missing anything. It is mostly a matter of taste, and some of your concepts are agreeable.
Personally, I still prefer BinB tone, but HtH is the close second for me. These are the two I am after.

News is that, on HtH, Angus DID still use the SVDS system! We are not sure if he only used it for solos - which is now a documented thing (can post the source) OR also for rhythm.
My intuition tells me that the SVDS was also used on rhythm for likely some tracks (on HtH, too). Who knows for certain.

I will concentrate on HtH tone (Angus') after I finished debunking the SVDS matter for BinB first, which means a documentary on the SVDS, more videos etc.

And in fact, I am here to post two more from BinB for your evaluation.

"What do you do for money, honey":

http://www.solodallas.net/wp-content/up ... -money.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and Shoot to Thrill:

http://www.solodallas.net/wp-content/up ... 07/stt.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My original Schaffer-Vega Diversity (1977 unit, like Angus') was used for both rhythm and solos, one take (same microphone positioning - Neumann U67 - same, EQ, etc.)

Thank you,

Fil :rock:

http://www.solodallas.net/wp-content/ga ... 8g6194.jpg

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 am

Most overseas people would have first heard Back In Black or possibly Highway To Hell and so the first exposure that they get is probably going to end up being their favorite.

If you ask me (and no one has :) ) the raw tone Angus gets on the solo in Long Way To The Top and the raw tone Malcolm gets on the rhythm and the combination tone of Angus and Malcolm are the best AC/DC tone that I have heard IMO and are really club like tones and Marshall's might not have been involved for these tones.

The Highway To Hell and Back In Black tones shout Marshall and they are more commercial productions made possibly for overseas FM radio with more compression and less rawness IMO and Angus's boost/compressor fits in to that sort of sound concept.

I prefer the early George Young and Harry Vanda production which was more raw and open plus I think George and Harry are just great songwriters.

I'm also not a great fan of Johnson's Balls In A Vice singing style and Bon was a huge part of AC/DC as far as I'm concerned and when Johnson took over the vocals they really became a different band IMO.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:31 am

I have to give credit to SoloDallas attention to detail concerning the AC/DC 'sound'. I think he is closer than anyone I've ever heard.

'TNT' is probably my favorite AC/DC tune, but in all honesty, I'm not a fan of that era tone too much. I have to agree that the 'Highway To Hell' album has my favorite tone, though I understand that had I heard the first stuff first, like mentioned earlier, then sentiment might play a part in what I think.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Proudly my last attempt :)

http://www.solodallas.net/wp-content/up ... /bib-6.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AustinTx

Post by AustinTx » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:40 pm

Great Stuff...your guitar collection is is is is Breathtaking.
Austin Texas
http://www.doug-morrison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:48 pm

AustinTx wrote:Great Stuff...your guitar collection is is is is Breathtaking.
A Texan!
Me looOOoooves Texas! ;D

(thanks Fil :) )

BAinFL
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by BAinFL » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:24 pm

I just got done listening to the entire London '82 concert and I feel like this message board really needs an Angus smiley avatar or animated .gif

Just my $0.02 of course.

For anyone not familiar with this set...I can't recommend it enough. Arguably my favorite live performance with Brian on vocals. Start here with track 1

http://youtu.be/9xdrScDWK5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H