Les Pauls gear up for auction!!!

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Les Pauls gear up for auction!!!

Post by NY Chief » Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 am

http://www.juliensauctions.com/shop/ind ... etail&p=99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Les Pauls gear up for auction!!!

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 am

Went to Juliens Auction house on Sat to check out Les' gear. All I can say is HOLY F'N SHITTTTT!!!! All the gear came out of his house in Mahwah, NJ. Over three HUNDRED guitars from his bedroom. Ampex tape machines, consoles, old radio and test gear, bins and bins of spare parts. A lot of the guitars had handwritten notes on them or in the case "frets low, bump in middle, pick up good...would like jumbo frets" And there were lots of half finished projects, off the wall stuff, guitars hacked up and all kinds of things stuck to them. The guy was ALWAYS tinkering and never threw anything out it seems. Drew Berlin of the Burst Brothers was there. Appaparently he was close with Les and went through the stuff for the auction. He told us a bunch of stories about Les. I asked him where the first tape machine given to Les by Bing which Les modified to be the first mulitrack machiine was. Drew said it was just sitting there in Les' workshop. I asked if he kneeled before the grail. He said Yeah, pretty much. He had to take a moment before he even touched it. The machine that started recording as we know it today! I asked to see it, Drew said that machine and several other key pieces were not to be auctioned. They are going to the Smithsonian. Les' Paulverizor was there though. Radio Shack is worried sick about Les' box!!! The box was a gimmick but he did have a rig with a three head Nakamichi tape deck that he played along with to do live multitracks. The catalog is almost 400 pages of Les gear. I felt more like I was in musuem rather than at auction exhibit. The auction is Fri and Sat live and on line. Hmm, for some reason I can't post pics. Stand by....

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 pm

NY Chief wrote:Drew Berlin of the Burst Brothers was there...
I read something about this, that G.C. and those fuckin' "Burst-Assfucks" got involved with Les's stuff. It somehow figures that they'd get their greasy mitts in there.

I dont know too much about Drew Berlin, but Dave Belzer is a fucking con-artist of the highest order. I knew him years ago when he had a store on Long Island. He couldnt be trusted as far as his skinny ass could be picked up and thrown.

It really bums me out that those two and G.C. have ANY involvement in something as cherished as Les's memory and as historically significant his equipment.
Nothing good can come of their connection to his legacy.
:x

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 am

I knew you had some "reservations" about those guys, filly. Dave wasn't there but Drew actually came across pretty sincere. First time I ever talked to him.

Get this though, there is a 25% "buyers premium" added to gavel price up to $99k and 20% over $99k plus 3% if you bid on line PLUS NY and CA bidders pay taxes then shipping if you can't pick up...Les is rolling over in his grave.

It saddens me that nobody else here gives a shit about what Les contributed to music and recording. But we'll obssess about EVH's "genius" experiments and research...and what color thong he's wearing today....

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:46 pm

NY Chief wrote:Get this though, there is a 25% "buyers premium" added to gavel price up to $99k and 20% over $99k plus 3% if you bid on line PLUS NY and CA bidders pay taxes then shipping if you can't pick up...Les is rolling over in his grave.

It saddens me that nobody else here gives a shit about what Les contributed to music and recording.
Yeah, that "buyers premium" surprises me exactly zero. Ill BET its part of GC's piece for their "expert knowledge" ( :roll: ) on Les Paul.
Ah, WTF... its the way the entire fuckin' world is headed these days.
NY Chief wrote:But we'll obssess about EVH's "genius" experiments and research...and what color thong he's wearing today....
Yeah, that thong has GOTTA be contributing to his "brown sound", lol!!
Im starting my research.
(Lets see... Google the Sky Blue banana hammock ass-floss model... I've GOTTA find out if thats it...)
:lol:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:34 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:[Yeah, that thong has GOTTA be contributing to his "brown sound", lol!!
Im starting my research.
(Lets see... Google the Sky Blue banana hammock ass-floss model... I've GOTTA find out if thats it...)
:lol:

ewwww, no need for THAT visual right before lunch.... :palm: :help:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:34 pm

NY Chief wrote:ewwww, no need for THAT visual right before lunch.... :palm: :help:
Eh, ta do uddawize would mean I wouldnt be doin' my job, brudda-man!!!
:lol: :lol:

8) 8)

monkface

Post by monkface » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Not so fast chief! Man you never miss a chance to slam VH! Hey Miami won, too bad people like Eddie! :) anyway it blows my mind to think of les's gear being available. Talk about historic! Those tape decks, guitars, everything! Pure 20th century history. Whew!

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:02 pm

monkface wrote:Not so fast chief! Man you never miss a chance to slam VH! Hey Miami won, too bad people like Eddie! :) anyway it blows my mind to think of les's gear being available. Talk about historic! Those tape decks, guitars, everything! Pure 20th century history. Whew!
:whistle:

Not really slamming VH, more so the lemmings that refuse to acknowledge others brillance, especially Les.

I tried bidding on some items but the big money was out in force. Epi LP's going for upwards of 3k, Gibson LP's with absolutely nothing special about them going for upwards of 6k, if they were signed by Les or had a personal note in the case 8-10k+.
Even Les' crap, guitars noted as unplayable, holes cut in the back, hacked in brackets...3k. Stuff Les probablly would have thrown out! They even auctioned off his becnh grinder that he made his own pics on, his SS cards, health cards. His 1950's bedroom table lamp went for $8500!!!!!!!!!!

Les is probably rolling over in his grave that all the rich speculator collector fukers got his stuff instead of the true fan regular guy.

RIP, Les.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

monkface

Post by monkface » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Heh good point! Les was an absolute legend. Immeasurable what he did really.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:58 am

monkface wrote:Heh good point! Les was an absolute legend. Immeasurable what he did really.

+1000000000000000 monk!

And he still had the passion, even when filly and I saw him at the Irridium just a few years ago. He waited at the door to say goodbye. Still full of life and that twinkle in his eye.

Here's the final $$ for all the items. Check out #693 - a drawer full of pics .....$10k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"