Robin Trower

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Robin Trower

Post by NY Chief » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 pm

outlier wrote: I never bought into that "Robin Trower = Hendrix Clone" stuff. To me, Trower was a far more melancholy, introspective and restrained player than Hendrix. I always saw them as rather different.
When I was young and dumb I used to say "Trower was Hendrix without the noises..." (Well, I said young and dumb didn't I???)

My favorite is the LIve LP. Too Rolling Stoned,Althea,Spellbound...AWESOME soaring tone. The DejaVibe gets very close.

yng, with all the love in the world..Fuck You!!! :lol: I would have killed to see JB scatting like that. BTW, were you around Long Island when BBA played Hofstra? I was too young but a older buddy who went said it killed.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

54strat
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 54strat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:28 am

Trower did an album in the early 80's called "Beyond The Mist". Side one had studio tracks, side two had a couple of live tracks - the title song and "Bridge of Sighs" that I like better than the first live version!
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:25 am

This is the best tone and playing I've ever heard Trower get. Both solo's reek of total feel and emotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFXf5U-lx9k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Great vid tone slinger!

Have you guys checked Robin's last album The Playful Heart? His tone and vibrato are just perfect! Check out Maybe I Can Be a Friend and Prince of Shattered Dreams. Geez this guy gives me goosebumps... What a tone! :shock:

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:57 pm

If you guys know what amps he used to record his latest album I'd be really happy to know... I know everything about his guitar and pedals but his studio amp gear is a mistery.
His live setup consists in two Marshall Vintage Modern 100W heads if you guys don't know that already. One head is set for a cleaner sound, the other for a rawer, more overdriven sound. He uses both at the same time using a signal splitter... Tone tone tone...

:rock:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 am

I cant quite remember the name, but I think it's a high end English made Marshall clone. Cornford or something. I recall reading that he used it some on one of his latest albums.

To me, Trower sounded his best when NOT using a Marshall. That "I'm Out To Get You" off of "Caravan To Midnight" 1978, was recorded in Los Angeles , I think. That sounded like either a Music Man Hd-130 or a Silver faced Fender. In other words, Huge cleaner sound with monstrous headroom. Really made that Univibe come to life.

Twistingcrow

Post by Twistingcrow » Mon May 02, 2011 10:50 am

Cornell, not Cornford... :wink:

Trower would sound good through anything anyway... :rock:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue May 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Cornford, I think it was ? ( I swear I thought I read 'Cornford' ) Trower, like most of us, probably is to 'self-contained' (ex. He looks in the mirror everyday) to even realize that he is in his '60's :oops: . The right path is rarely taken.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 pm

NY Chief wrote:...My favorite is the LIve LP. Too Rolling Stoned,Althea,Spellbound...AWESOME soaring tone. The DejaVibe gets very close...
hehe, I still call Daydream that too... :jimi:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 pm

JimiJames wrote:
NY Chief wrote:...My favorite is the LIve LP. Too Rolling Stoned,Althea,Spellbound...AWESOME soaring tone. The DejaVibe gets very close...
hehe, I still call Daydream that too... :jimi:

heh heh..the hidden link in "daydream" is safe with me, jimi.... (sounds great, bro!)
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:56 pm

You found it ? heh !
Thanks BrotherMan. Just a little something for the "vibe" :wink:
Busted out the Stratocaster & '67 Super Reverb on that with the KR MegaVibe.
It's not the usual 4x10. I took advantage of a (UPS) damaged baffle and rebaffled 1x15/1x10 Jensen's.
Recorded and extracted the audio off the Zoom cam. Little hi-endy treble going on, but just Plug'nPlay stuff.
I learned & play the Live version, but I never play it the same twice... You only get the real Spellbound with Trower.

yea Chiefy, That particular Live LP has got to be one of my TOP all timers. His tone, attack, & overall performance there is best. Mike F. sure is lucky that he's got a Trower line, but his Rockplast didn't have the tone, and atleast there are better vibes for Trower to chose from. Seems that Trower really likes Mike and his pedals do the job. He says good things from the video, about Fulltone products, and it's probably kool for Mike one of his fav players has used gear that he made.
He's hovering in his mid 60's and has probably overwhelmed with all the new boutique pedal explosion and settled on using Fulltone (custom) DejaVibe and said this will do. :what:
Overall his playing still is on. When, if & maybe he comes here next, I'm there.

Nothin' replaces James, but that new singer fits the best, since...
I think BlueBird IS James Dewar. :shock: You are never forgotten :cry:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:32 pm

The ever amazing Guitar Interactive on-line magazine with Robin Trower featured. Interviewed by Micheal Caswell, well know to NY Chief and myself, enjoy............
http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue16/page/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;