Ulrich Jon Roth

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:51 pm

xjunjix wrote:which album can i find more Sails of Charon style songs.
i saw a video on youtube of that song, so i tried some of his scorpions stuff, but i can't seem to really find that type of song.
Scorpions - Taken By Force - [1978]

Some of his best lead work is with Electric Sun on the Firewind & Earthquake albums...ehh CD's :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

sadwings75

Post by sadwings75 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:03 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but In Trance is a great album.
Some of his more recent works are definitely worth checking out. I believe it's called Metamorphosis and it's his take on Vivaldi's Four Seasons plus some original material. Very cool album; he gets a multitude of tones out of that sky guitar.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:38 am

Virgin Killers? Fly to the Rainbow?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

sadwings75

Post by sadwings75 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Virgin Killer is a solid album; as far as Fly to the Rainbow, I've just heard the 3 tracks from that album that are on Tokyo Tapes as well as the live version of Polar Nights, which they moved to the reissue of Taken By Force; another cool album.
Anyone ever seen the original cover of Virgin Killer? Not sure what they were thinking but it's a girl who looks like she's about fifteen naked on the cover; disturbing.
They've since changed the cover to the more common band shot.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:00 pm

sadwings75 wrote:Anyone ever seen the original cover of Virgin Killer? Not sure what they were thinking but it's a girl who looks like she's about fifteen naked on the cover; disturbing.
They've since changed the cover to the more common band shot.
Wasn't that like a piece of glass over her picture and it was shattered eminating from her "womanhood"?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:02 pm

Speaking of ablum covers...anybody ever get a close look of "Mom's Apple Pie"????
:shock:
http://friends.s5.net/mazzini/plosce/pie.html

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

sadwings75

Post by sadwings75 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:14 pm

NY Chief wrote:Wasn't that like a piece of glass over her picture and it was shattered eminating from her "womanhood"?
That's right; here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Killer-Sco ... 860&sr=8-2

Hard to believe they looked at that and said "Yes, this is a good idea"

Heh, never seen that cover of Mom's Apple Pie.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:23 pm

I tell ya, whether it was "Catch your Train" or "Virgin Killer" off of the 'Virgin Killer's' album, or "Sails of Charon" on 'Taken By Force", Uli Roth was, in many way's, SO far ahead of his contemporaries, that it was just STRANGE. His solo at the end of 'Earthquake', was incredible. I agree about his new work as well. He STILL shames most modern shredder's, cause he has valid musical idea's. He alway's has parts that take the listener deeper than the surface, which, to me, is a weakness that many shredder's have, which is, thier stuff tends to be rooted more in playing notes, rather than MUSIC.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed May 28, 2008 9:28 pm

Just read the latest interview with Yngwie Malmsteen (Guitar World cover). I realize and understand Yngwie is his own man, but it seems he NEVER mentions Uli Roth in any of his major published type interviews, only on his website(s). Logic would dictate that ANYBODY who was into Hendrix AND Blackmore, would also be into a player that synthesized both these players styles. I hear more Roth in Yngwie's playing than anybody else.Roth used diminished, chromatic, Harmonic minor, Phrygian, as well as used many sweep picked arpeggio's, all done with loads of feel and technique. I especially hear a tone VERY similar to Yngwie on the "In Trance" and "Virgin Killer" albums. Yngwie even totally 'ripped' prt of Uli's 'Virgin Killer' solo on Alcatraz's "Jet To Jet". I love Yngwie,as he has had a big impact on my playing, but he should give a more consistant shout out to 'ol Uli Jon Roth, instead of a nod every few years.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 pm

Billy, to be fair as you may have guessed, I have read or seen every interview with Yngwie Malmsteen, since his most early US days, I remember him mentioning Alan Holdsworth a few times, as an inspirational guitarist. He has mentioned Uli Jon quite a few times and Yngwie has a Roth Sky guitar in his collection, personally given him from Uli. Yngwie when asked to name guitarists he listens to, almost always states he listens to classical music only, mainly violinists, occasionally mentioning Holdsworth as an inspirational player, but we all know Yngwie's influences without him saying it outright. It's in the way he says what he says. That's what I mean by when I say I have studied him to the minute degree as I did with Gary Moore and to a lesser degree Tommy Bolin. Remember Yngwie is Swedish and Europeans tend to state things in a different manner as I'm sure you are aware of, Yngwie's brilliant talent is in organizing his influences to a greater good, as he advises new players to listen with their ears and if it sounds good to you, then it is good!
I can state here that Uli Jon is a HUGE influence on Yngwie, whether he says it or not, and Roth was hanging with Yngwie at the recent NAMM show, watching Yngwie's performance backstage. Uli Jon has Hendrix's black Strat which is the coolest thing in the world, even more so to me that the Woodstock Strat, as most of my favorite Hendrix music is played on that guitar and I'm sure Yngwie has played it, which he should as in my totally unbiased opinion of course.. :lol: :lol: Yngwie is the closest interpreter of Hendrix's vibe when he plays Jimi's covers!
Is this Guitar World issue out now, I must get it then!
Also on Yngwie's Inspiration CD he covers Sails of Charon, as well as Deep Purple, so you know his influences are all right out there.
As far as the other Scorpions, not Micheal Schenker, I knew this guy in Pennsylvania, that hung out on the LA scence a lot and was good friends with Juan and Bobby Blotzer of Ratt. He met the Scorps offstage many times and said they were the most rude assholes he had ever met. I know Uli Jon is totally cool and a very spiritual person, so his influence is deep on Yngwie. Yngwie's ego, which is a key part, of well,...Yngwie, many times dosen't allow him to give proper credit where it's due.
Yngwie is a good soul underneath all the rockstar persona, and if you have met him, believe me his presence is overwhelming, more than any rockstar I have met, there is no doubt, also he is a very deep person and I for one am very offended by this fat talk and all these parodies.
Someone recently said Alex Lifeson packed on a few lbs. and no one was calling him fat, ect.
I will say this about Yngwie as none of are perfect, but he owes JLT an apology for some of the things he has said over the years. JLT saved Yngwie's life after his accident, there is no question, and he owes him eternally for that, Joe said he caught Yngwie doing coke again, right after his rehab!!
So I say Uli is a huge influence on Yngwie still to this day, as far as Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie says as a young teenager he learned all of Dep Purple note for note and then moved on to his Paganini, Bach type influences, which i believe. Also a misconception about Yngwie that I would like to address, is that he contributes nothing to the development of guitar playing, merely playing the same harmonic minor, arppegiated stuff over and over, I think he has done much more than that, witness the huge explosion of Yngwie clones. I hope I am explaining myself in my point, that Yngwie just by his playing is paying tribute to his influences.
I am personally not enamoured with his current too distorted tone and hope he will see the light tonight and get back to his more pure earlier tone.Thanks for listening. :)
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:56 am

Check out Uli Jon jamming with Luca Poma this Italian malmsteen tribute guitarist...
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=81148760
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:07 pm

I have been messaging Luca Poma, and he says Uli told him many hilarious stories about Yngwie, can't wait to hear them.. :lol:
yngwie308

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu May 29, 2008 6:00 pm

Yngwie looks like he is in great shape in the new pic's. I actually was thinking that he may have had some work done, or maybe the photo was doctured. He looked 25 !

Yngve

Post by Yngve » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:44 pm

Yngwie thanks Uli Roth on this Seventh Sign Album have a closer look! :D

Yngve

Post by Yngve » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:47 pm

I with you Yngwie308 I hope Malmsteen see's the light tonight! I love his Trilogy and Marching Out Albums. Love that clear tone! Also he was in pretty good shape, and skinny enough.