Jimmy Page and song remains same tone!

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimmy Page and song remains same tone!

Post by garbeaj » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:19 pm

chrisom wrote:
the album sounds from the Supro
Read closer, grasshopper. :what: :palm:
So you are saying that you think the Royal Albert Hall tones are closer to the first album tones?!

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:08 pm

So you are saying that you think the Royal Albert Hall tones are closer to the first album tones?!
Yeah. Is that o.k. with you that my opinion might be different than yours? :lol:

antosimoni

Post by antosimoni » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Ed A wrote: ....
In addition, my amp tech here on Long Island WORKED AT the Marshall distributor where Tony Franks worked from 1974-1976... And he was THERE when Page arrived with his amps and met with Tony... and he said there was more than one time that Page visited Franks for mods and tweaks.... The only thing we dont know for sure is WHEN exactly he went to the KT88s. Im inclined to agree with you that it may have been after '73 but I definitely believe it was done by '75.... Jimmy had a signicant more amount of headroom during that tour and if you have ever played a plexi converted to KT8s its that tone all day long!
PLEASE ! tell us more... which kind of mods were performed besides the KT88 one??
in loudspeakers we trust

JimmyLZ

Post by JimmyLZ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:01 am

Oloorin wrote:Very nice review of Page's rig :) However you have forgotten about one very important effect - the Echoplex 3. Why is it so important? Because if you look at the EP3 schematic, you notice that it has a jfet transistor buffer on input. It gives about 20dB boost, and bit tone change (caused mainly by 22nF capacitors in jfet's source and gate). And even with Echoplex echo swiched off with it's footswitch, the jfet remains (the same :P ) in signal line working as a 20dB buffer. It is actually one of the most important Page tone's ingredients.
Hi.

Where could you see 22nf source-gate cap on EP3 schematic? http://s94114604.onlinehome.us/ep3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Oloorin

Post by Oloorin » Fri May 31, 2013 5:01 pm

Two additional 22nF caps were in an early model of EP3, take a look at this conversion schematic: http://www.tylergrund.com/images/ep3_co ... _schem.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:wink:

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Fri May 31, 2013 11:00 pm

chrisom wrote:I have an appreciation for both tube types. On the first album by the Lawrence, Kansas band "Stick", guitarist Mike Tobin used a JCM800 series Marshall channel-switching amp that had Groove Tubes 6550 tubes in it, which normally would have given more headroom, but they were "1's" on the Groove Tubes scale of 1-10. It sounded incredible with his Les Paul. Check out the "Heavy Bag" album (1993) by Stick. Great tones! :rock: :hairband: :listen: :thumbsup:
Funny! I've been in a few bands with Stick's drummer Erik Conn off and on for the last 10 years or so. He joined my current band last year and we're working on a new record. Small world...

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:22 am

It might be interesting information,
however the FIRST thing I did was to find images, audio clips and/or videos. None.
What I have tried to do over the years with my "work" around AC/DC older tone (until my discovery of the holy grail of Angus Young tone, the "Schaffer-Vega Diversity System" that led me to our replica etc.) was to back up every single statement I made with as much evidence as I could, always.
All my work has always been collected on solodallas.com and youtube

An example,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvv6Sl3RLro[/youtube]

I suggest you do the same,
Best,

SD

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 am

I came across this video the other day. JP talking to the Gibson guy(s) about his #1 and the push pull pot(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLSz5vD9Dho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way, that was only 10 years ago. Either he stopped using Grecian Formula or he went gray pretty quick.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24 am

By the way, that was only 10 years ago. Either he stopped using Grecian Formula or he went gray pretty quick.
Yeah, that happened to me too... :lol: For Page it actually kinda looks cool though in "It Might Get Loud"... :thumbsup:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:57 am

chrisom wrote:
Yeah, that happened to me too... :lol: For Page it actually kinda looks cool though in "It Might Get Loud"... :thumbsup:
He looked good at the Kennedy honors too , but we are digressing.... :wink:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Kennedy Honors was a RIOT- Jack Black- Finally got Page to lighten up and laugh about those "occult rumours" :lol: :lol: Even John Paul Jones's wife laughed... :D :thumbsup:

jackdc100

Master Volumes?

Post by jackdc100 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:34 pm

I heard that someone on the Zeppelin crew claimed that Jimmy Page had master volumes installed on on the back of his Marshalls. Has anyone else heard this from a credible source? I have no idea when these alleged mods would have been done of course. Has anyone else heard of any other mods potentially done during the Song Remains the Same era?

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:07 pm

This is what I meant in my earlier thread, read both of these links:

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/1081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.led-zeppelin.org/studio-and-live-gear/1077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is why I said it's best to leave the "matter-of-fact" stuff to the true researchers, you get into a lot less heated (debates/discussions) over this stuff if you do.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:26 pm

The guy that created that site consulted me and other posters from Royal-Orleans.com in addition to some more research. But even this site contains as much guesswork as anywhere else...

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 pm

garbeaj wrote:The guy that created that site consulted me and other posters from Royal-Orleans.com in addition to some more research. But even this site contains as much guesswork as anywhere else...

Yes, indeed it's just like me having a vivid recollection of reading in guitar mags of the 70's that David Gilmour was using a Maestro Stage Phaser, not only in ads but artist's equipment articles, and do you think that anyone could find one shred of this evidence on the web w/o looking through every vintage guitar magazine of the 70's. As John Belushi would say, "BUT NOOOOOOOOO!"