Black Sabbath

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

neikeel

Re: Black Sabbath

Post by neikeel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Definitely something visceral about early Sabbath, very much part of my musical education too (along with Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc).
As far as guitar tone is concerned I really like sounds Iommi was getting during the Dio era from the album Heaven and Hell in particular Die Young and Heaven and Hell.
Presumably Laneys?
Neil

Did J
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Did J » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm

According to John 'Dawk' Stillwell, Tony's guitar and amp tech at this time when they were recording Heaven and Hell album in 1979 (West Palm Beach, Florida). The new member of the band being Ronnie James Dio.
Dawk brough Tony a new Marshall 1959, in which he puts two extra tubes in the pre amp section. EL34 were used in the recording and then he changed the output tubes to (GEC) KT-88's. A master gain control was added too.
This main amp drove his two other stack as slaves, they also had KT-88's in them.

Black Sabbath will be @ Paris on the 2nd of December, got my tickets! :wink: :rock:

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 pm

I saw the Black and Blue Tour (Black Sabbath/Blue Oyster Cult) in Oklahoma City at the Fairgrounds (large quonset hut bldg.) and I saw Van Halen and Black Sabbath together at the Myriad in Oklahoma City when Van Halen came out with their first album.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Blacj Sabbath - Heaven and Hell Tour, 1980. My first concert. I couldn't figure out what that funny smell was filling the arena after the opening band ("Johnny")'s set was completed. The next 20 years would not be the same... :D

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 pm

chrisom wrote:Blacj Sabbath - Heaven and Hell Tour, 1980. My first concert. I couldn't figure out what that funny smell was filling the arena after the opening band ("Johnny")'s set was completed. The next 20 years would not be the same... :D
I may have, and most likely did attend the Heaven and Hell Tour around 9/80 or 10/80 at Norman, Oklahoma. That "funny smell" was always in attendance at the concerts I went to, almost like a ghost that attaches itself to you. Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end................

It used to be you could go to a late night movie indoors, and everyone would pull out their paraphenalia and light up. Federal officials today would be in total disbelief if they had attended one of those movies "back in the day". The first time this ever happened to me was at a showing of Death Race 2000 w/David Carradine. Then there was the showing of Black and Blue the movie, and The Song Remains The Same movie. Partyfests indeed!