friedman amp in bonamassa's back line

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: friedman amp in bonomassa's back line

Post by rgorke » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:09 am

I saw a YouTube video where he describes his base tone is from the Jubilee.

Friedman did his new pedal board.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 am

Tone Slinger wrote:You either sound like who you ARE, or who you are TRYING to be. I'm constantly at odds with that myself :?
We all are TS. NONE of us learned in a vacuum. There aren't very many real original players, they all took form someone else. Just a matter of degree, natural talent and how many more twisted brain cells interpert and mix it all together!

I'm not keen on boner's vocals either. Sounds contrived to me.
Last edited by NY Chief on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm

ha! i feel compelled to defend him. lol. don't know why. let the venom and vitriol flow.. :lol:

i just thought it was cool to see a friedman amp in his back line and wondered if anyone knew anything about that amp and the context of it in that setup. still interested if anyone has anything on that. it is the topic of this thread. :)

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:34 pm

rgorke wrote:I saw a YouTube video where he describes his base tone is from the Jubilee.

Friedman did his new pedal board.
thanks roger - that's cool. they showed him doing a few songs in various venues. in the larger venues he had mostly older marshalls (small logos) and a friedman amp and it sounded great. in the smaller venue they showed, he had a couple big logo marshalls that i'm guessing were MV types - but not WAY TOO MANY knobs... :lol: probably just ONE too many. the one that's labeled "Master" :lol: hee hee! but that club tone was thin and nasty to my ears. i'm guessing that was some temporary little rented backline for the small club... just guessing. it wasn't his usual sound - not even close.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: friedman amp in bonamassa's back line

Post by NY Chief » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:55 pm

no worries. rob. He's not gonna lose sleep over what I think! :o

So, ON topic ( :) ) I played the Metro-Freidman and it does kick ass! Ripping tone!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:30 pm

yup - 'tsallgood. from the logo it looks like the amp he calls "the brown eye" on his site. wonder if that's what it is under the hood. ?

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:04 pm

If its the 'Brown Eye' then its a 4 gain stager I'm fairly certain. Definately a MV amp. The 'Marsha' (also by Friedman) is being used by Jerry Cantrell at the moment, as well as Dave's set up/pedal board expertise. In all honesty though, LeftyLou is right, a JCM2000 dsl will get you just about everything Bonamassa gets, sound/tone-wise. A Jubilee though is pretty much his distorted tone (at least for the last 10 yrs). That circuit gets the best midrange as I've ever heard. Joe has great ears and has good taste.He knows a good sounding guitar,so that helps too.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 pm

NY Chief wrote:I'm not keen on boner's vocals either. Sounds contrived to me.
I'm in agreement on the contrived part, two other contrived singers Johnny Lang and John Mayer. Rod Stewart, he can't help it as he's fighting his own voice to get it all out. lol
Last edited by Lefty Lou on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:If its the 'Brown Eye' then its a 4 gain stager I'm fairly certain. Definately a MV amp. The 'Marsha' (also by Friedman) is being used by Jerry Cantrell at the moment, as well as Dave's set up/pedal board expertise. In all honesty though, LeftyLou is right, a JCM2000 dsl will get you just about everything Bonamassa gets, sound/tone-wise. A Jubilee though is pretty much his distorted tone (at least for the last 10 yrs). That circuit gets the best midrange as I've ever heard. Joe has great ears and has good taste.He knows a good sounding guitar,so that helps too.
I've done a 4 gainer (sounds like a cliff diver). I just jumper channels and use a Mesa Boogie V-Twin.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 pm

rgalpin wrote:yup - 'tsallgood. from the logo it looks like the amp he calls "the brown eye" on his site. wonder if that's what it is under the hood. ?
Wasn't the "brown eye mod" name given as an insult to Jose Arredondo (if I recall correctly)?

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:38 pm

If I were to buy a modded Marshall, it would most likely be a Bray JTM45/50 head. The VH clips I've heard sound great, especially when David Bray or Chelsea Constable tear it up.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Our own Sean McFly has a nice sounding Bray modded Marshall as well. Tone for days :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/r_QE7gKHUSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:[
I'm in agreement on the contrived part, two other contrived singers Johnny Lang and John Mayer.

EXACTLY who I was thinking off, Lou! Lang seemed like he was in such pain (at 19 yrs old? puh-leeze). The old timers would have given him something to really be in real pain about! Do like his playing though.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Agree I do :D . I too like Lang, and though his vocals may not be 'Early Gregg Allman on a good day ' level, I think he is by far a better singer than Bonamassa. John Mayer...... well, he WRITES some interesting tunes,has great lyrics and melodies,but his actual vocals has that 'nassally' type thing that Gollum (Lord of the rings) has, just like igor or something :lol: I actually LAUGH everytime I hear him sing, sorta like how I do at Axle Rose. He sounds like Edith Bunker :clap:

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:03 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:[
I'm in agreement on the contrived part, two other contrived singers Johnny Lang and John Mayer.

EXACTLY who I was thinking off, Lou! Lang seemed like he was in such pain (at 19 yrs old? puh-leeze). The old timers would have given him something to really be in real pain about! Do like his playing though.
Here's Johnny Lang at 6yrs (1:49 into the video)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk4BMK7OcQo[/youtube]