Jeff Beck

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

leadguy

Re: Jeff Beck

Post by leadguy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:12 pm

Great reading about your meeting with Jeff.

There would be so much to ask Jeff about, like the late 60s/early 70s period and the people he played with or knew etc.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks, Leadguy. It truly was magical to me. That is probably my favorite JB era as well. Cozy, Chaman, Tench, Max. What a great band. Train, Train gives me chills every time I hear it. I’m serious about my buddy’s trax sounding like the JB group with Marriot on vocals. I wish you guys who like that period Beck could hear it. Juilius totally copped the JB group feel and sound. And his playing is total Beck meets Les Paul meets Django. Wait, isn’t that Jeff’s sound???
Last edited by NY Chief on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:02 am

No doubt about it, Les Paul and Django are in Jeffs playing plus Jeff of course.

Steve Marriott is probably the best Rock singer ever IMO.

First time I heard him was on Tin Soldier and I couldn't get over his voice and the power of it and neither could Robert Plant.

Who wouldn't want to sound like Marriott.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:06 pm

Well, Jeff takes the stage in Kansas City, MO (8) hours from now, & I'm getting my binoculars ready and getting ready to make the 1-hour drive there in about an hour. Oh yeah, the tickets- Don't forget to bring the tickets... :rock: :worthy: :rocker:

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:58 pm

chrisom wrote:Well, Jeff takes the stage in Kansas City, MO (8) hours from now, & I'm getting my binoculars ready and getting ready to make the 1-hour drive there in about an hour. Oh yeah, the tickets- Don't forget to bring the tickets... :rock: :worthy: :rocker:
Enjoy! The guy is just a phenomenon...
And don´t forget to report back here.
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:50 am

All I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW!

The entire band ruled at their respective instruments. The chick on bass slew me! I didn't think I'd like her but she was a major contributor & they all played/sounded great! Beck had (2) full-sized Marshall heads with block logos on top of checkered-grilled Marshall bottom cabs, with a smaller 50-watt head on top of each full-size head (2 double half-stacks?). Sorry I didn't have a camera with me... :bang: but I was already carrying binoculars...

What got me was the wedge floor monitor on Beck's side of the stage- It had white piping, checkered grillecloth & a Marshall logo on it- It almost looked like the '76 2x12 50-watt combo I should have never sold leaning against the wall, but it was an actual wedge floor monitor!

Every thing the previous posts above said was true about the show, so I don't need to rehash it, I'll just say I totally agree, YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THIS SHOW if it comes to your town...

The kid Tyler Bryant that opened the show was phenomonal, playing electric guitar on an acoustic (I KNOW!) A Guild and a capoed slide-tuned Gibson, with a major blues & slide vibe that isn't reflected on his EP they were selling- you have to hear it live; Plus he sang well. His Muddy Waters guitar influence really shows, but the songs were written such that both guitar players AND the young girls will love him too... An extra bonus- Thanks, JEFF!!
With Brad Whitford's son: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YGMdGJOF4
Last edited by chrisom on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 am

Chief if Stevie Marriott wasthe singer back in the JBG I, they might have been an even bigger monster, the friction 'tween JB and RS, plus frankly Rod's voice though great in it's own way, isn't like old Steve's.
That is a killer combination and that might have keep the line up unchanged for a long time.
About meeting Jeff don't worry, when I met Yngwie, by accident, I didn't have a pen for an autograph and looked all over the place for what seemed an eternity, finally running in the back stage door and grabbing one off the soundboard, so I had no chance for any conversation with the towering Viking in black.
He was very gracious and walked by us latter as we waited out front of the gig, I was the first in line of course having been at the gig/bar since about 11 am until doors opened at around 7pm.
Very cool for you and glad you had a time of a lifetime, couldn't happen to a nicer guy or a more hard-core fan.
Awesome :rock: :rock: 8) :D :worthy:
Dave
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:43 am

chrisom wrote:All I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW!

The entire band ruled at their respective instruments. The chick on bass slew me! I didn't think I'd like her but she was a major contributor & they all played/sounded great! Beck had (2) full-sized Marshall heads with block logos on top of checkered-grilled Marshall bottom cabs, with a smaller 50-watt head on top of each full-size head (2 double half-stacks?). Sorry I didn't have a camera with me... :bang: but I was already carrying binoculars...

What got me was the wedge floor monitor on Beck's side of the stage- It had white piping, checkered grillecloth & a Marshall logo on it- It almost looked like the '76 2x12 50-watt combo I should have never sold leaning against the wall, but it was an actual wedge floor monitor!

Every thing the previous posts above said was true about the show, so I don't need to rehash it, I'll just say I totally agree, YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THIS SHOW if it comes to your town...

The kid Tyler Bryant that opened the show was phenomonal, playing electric guitar on an acoustic (I KNOW!) A Guild and a capoed slide-tuned Gibson, with a major blues & slide vibe that isn't reflected on his EP they were selling- you have to hear it live; Plus he sang well. His Muddy Waters guitar influence really shows, but the songs were written such that both guitar players AND the young girls will love him too... An extra bonus- Thanks, JEFF!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJLoEqJ ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the review. The Marshall wedges were special built for him by Marshall. You can see them in this video as well:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHaRAfxLd7g[/youtube]

I saw this version of the band. Much more of a rock feel to the show.
MacG.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:47 am

Thank you for that video. I wondered what the Jennifer Batten tour was like. I only saw Beck once before in '95 with Santana at an outdoor show, but not up close like this. I forgot to mention, they did an outstanding rendition of "Little Wing" tonight, with the drummer singing and where Beck set aside his usual style and paid homage to Jimi by playing it reasonably accurately as Jimi did. The band really nailed it and it sounded great! :champ:

By the way- Anybody know the lowdown on those block-logo full size heads Jeff's using now? Are they reissues, or restorations, or secretly-built Metro JTM45/100's snuck in under the wire? What's the story with these "new" heads he's using? :?:

stratonenator

Post by stratonenator » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 am

I am going to see him at the Ryman in Nashville today!!! It's one more off the awesome concert checklist!
So you think your Mesa-Boogie is cool? You won't even be able to hear it over my Marshall Superlead

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:58 am

stratonenator wrote:I am going to see him at the Ryman in Nashville today!!! It's one more off the awesome concert checklist!
Same here! Should be RAWKIN'!!!! :rock:

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:02 am

I figured it out- The full-sized heads he's using are the JTM-45/100 (with dual 50w output-transformers) 40th Anniversary Marshall heads.

I saw the brochure, and it looks exactly like what he had on stage along with the (2) small-box heads. Three of them were lit on, and one of the small-boxes wasn't. Perhaps a back-up 50-watter, with whichever of them being used slaved into the Big Block heads?

pleximanic

Post by pleximanic » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:04 pm

I saw Jeff a week ago at KB in Malmoe Sweden it was awesome !
Even his cellphone that he forgott to turn off at 3:54 was musical!
Here is a clip from the consert!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e652sDfbIY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:54 pm

pleximanic wrote:I saw Jeff a week ago at KB in Malmoe Sweden it was awesome !
Even his cellphone that he forgott to turn off at 3:54 was musical!
Here is a clip from the consert!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e652sDfbIY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And that clip shows why us Beck-Heads love Jeff: Extremely musical playing, very emotional...
And no one else in the world could have played it... :shock:

Thanks for posting.
MacG.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 pm

The guys who play guitar that don't get Beck are NOT guitar players (more like fukin trolls). And that goes for the myopic Van Halen dick suckers especially. Yeah I said it.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"