Jake E. Lee

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

darkbluemurder
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re:

Post by darkbluemurder » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:55 am

Yngve wrote:What is your favourite piece that Jake Played?

I love:

The Last Time
(0.17) Love the rawness out the riff!
(2.27) Love the rawness of the chord here where its so distinctive.
That is a great tune. :hairband:

Another favorite of mine is Shine On, also from Voodoo Highway. Killer riffing and that solo should be the official definition of shredding. :shred:

Cheers Stephan :rockon:

Tone Slinger

Re: Jake E. Lee

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:35 am

Yep, talk about FAST stacked pentatonics ! That solo definately beats out Zakk in the speed dept. . That solo was probably even faster than 'Inner Mounting Flame' era McLaughlin.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:06 pm

Listen to Winters Call. The semi clean acoustic intro then he turns up that single volume to reveal the amp on full for that awesome rythym lick. Jake had a cool sense of rythm note and chord selections.
I always play that when I try out a new amp. Everyone says "what is that?". I just say..." I dunno, just made it up now". :lol:
12000 Metro Kit

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:Listen to Winters Call. The semi clean acoustic intro then he turns up that single volume to reveal the amp on full for that awesome rythym lick. Jake had a cool sense of rythm note and chord selections.
I always play that when I try out a new amp. Everyone says "what is that?". I just say..." I dunno, just made it up now". :lol:
That's funny that you say that, because I still play it too! I use alot of alternate tunings in my band, but if I'm playing in standard and noodling around, 'Winter's Call' ALWAYS comes out eventually.

And 'Bark at the Moon' at sound check, always fun.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Bark At The Moon is just INSANE !

That track alone, destroys anything that Zakk has ever done imo. I really disagreed with the two comedians, Eddie Trunk (what a 'fan boy' though he's a 'cool' one) Billy Sheehan and Ace Frehley on ' That Metal Show'.
They voted ZAKK over JAKE ????

They thought that Zakk was/is better :dlr: ! Man, Jake needs to come back out with something. Eddie Trunk said "The question is who is OZZY's best guitarist (not including Randy Rhoads) so well Jake did two albums to Zakks MANY"

'Bark At The Moon' ALONE, is better than ALL of ZAKKS stuff imo.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:32 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Bark At The Moon is just INSANE !

'Bark At The Moon' ALONE, is better than ALL of ZAKKS stuff imo.
Absolutely! The right hand technique required reminds me of 'Hang 'Em High', that syncopated, string-skipping style that's soooo satisfying when you just nail it, not just the rhythm but the aggression too, with the palm-muted A string that just makes a 4X12 bark! Haha, 'bark'.

Jake was my fav by far of Ozzy's hired guns, and that includes R.R., he had such an unorthodox style with the chords he picked and especially his solos, just 'out there' chord tones and scales. Not to mention all the crazy tricks he used, like de-tuning the low E, neck-bending, overhand fake echoes, bending double-stops, string skipping, just sick stuff that I had never seen anyone do at the time. He made a real effort to be different and he was.

The guy is just plain awesome.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 pm

I agree ! I remember this, as far as a Jake E. Lee quote goes, He said something like this, "I dont use a tremelo bar because I find that when I reach for it, its because I dont have something BETTER to do. So I made it a point that when the urge comes to grab at a bar, I think to myself "I need to find something more INTERESTING than a dive bomb or tremelo lick to play here ".

Jake needs to resurface in a BIGGER way than he has in the last 5 yrs or so. I think he could QUICKLY re-establish himself.