Yngwie J Malmsteen

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:35 pm

Awesome indeed Fillmore !! :D :D
Yngwie loves Hendrix and at G3 I felt he represented Jimi the best out of the three, infact Yngwie is a G3 all by himself :lol: !!
If you see him live, it is incredible, truly a maestro amongst guitar players, but of course all are familiar with my opinion :lol: :lol: :lol: !
Thanks for the Yngwie J. Malmsteen love 8)
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:07 am

Thought I'd drag this one out, Yngwie's solo the most together one, imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51ecbcEYTU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yngwie308
Last edited by yngwie308 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:00 am

yngwie308 wrote:The deal with me is, it is hard to accept a Marshall/Metro that requires pedals, but for exacting Malmsteen tone, that is a prerequisite.'Metal front heads sound fairly well on their own as well though.
Not just Yngwie's tone, IMO all single coil guitars need a boost with a Marshall... It just sounds thin and "tinny" to me without it.

Deuterium

Post by Deuterium » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:41 pm

yngwie308 wrote:8) 8) 8) 8)
Here is a Guitar World interview with Derek Sherinian, keyboardist with Yngwie J. Malmsteen:

http://www.guitarworld.com/derek_sherinian
Great Yngwie J. Malmsteen interview from USA Today, sorry no clor photos, :lol: :lol:
http://www.usatoday.com/community/chat/ ... yngwie.htm
Yngwie308
Hi Dave:

Thanks so much for the great links. Very cool interviews, which I hadn't read before. Much appreciated!
"I have a philosophy. More is More, and Less is Less. The idea that More is Less is illogical"
-- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

"If I have seen farther than others it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants"
-- Sir Isaac Newton

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:29 am

Welcome Deuterium, I hope you don't mind me adding that you are a recruit from yngwie.org/forum.
Welcome to Metro amp forum, unfortunately the Malmsteen thread isn't as impressive as it once was, but I don't have all the data I posted over all that time stored, so welcome again, thanks for joining. :D
yngwie308

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:55 am

Here is my review of my first Yngwie show in Tucson 2005:
City Limits - Tucson, Arizona 11/7/2005

(Concert Review and Photos from Dave Talkin)

I saw Yngwie for the first time in Tucson at the City Limits Nov 7th show of the Unleash The Fury tour. I had thought of bringing my 2005 Malmsteen Strat to get autographed, but did not want to risk damaging it at this 'general admission' show. My work buddy and I traveled from Phoenix to Tucson for the show. I was so excited for weeks prior to the event. We traveled to Tucson early in the morning, went to a local record store and scored a free event poster which the clerk gave me. He didn't know who he was.

We arrived at the gig around 2pm. I drove behind this small bar type venue to hope to see a tour bus, etc. And there was Yngwie's tour bus with a luggage trailer behind. April was walking around talking on her cell phone. Antonio was there with his mom and out a back door strolls the great maestro himself dressed in all black. I walked right up and introduced myself, shook hands with him and told him we drove down to Tucson from Phoenix and could I have an autograph. "Sure" he replied. Meanwhile some sort of effect pedal had arrived from FedEx and Yngwie was talking in Swedish to Thomas Nordegg his guitar tech who used to work with Steve Vai. More about him later. Anyway, bottom line is I could not find a pen anywhere. No one had a pen; I was freaking out! I am a critical care nurse and don't usually get nervous, but I had had a double shot cappuccino prior to arriving and I was embarrassed to meet my hero and looking like an idiot. Yngwie is so totally cool though. He was very gracious and waited around while I ran into the venue through the stage back door and asked to borrow a pen that was on the soundboard. I brought the poster to Yngwie and he signed it. My friend Virgil snapped a shot with his camera phone.

Yngwie went back inside and we listened to the sound check which was amazing. He played Cherokee Warrior, which they did not do later that evening. We walked around the front of the bar and could see through the glass the band playing from the right side. As we sat on the front steps, Yngwie and road crew came walking around the corner and through the front door. He said "Hello guys" to us recognizing me from before. I could not believe it. I had no camera yet! So I took my place in line the first at the door around 3pm. I waited there until the doors opened at approximately 7:15pm. It seemed like forever. We met lots of fans and it was an ordeal but well worth it. By now, I had secured a camera from the Circle K "western convenience store" across the street.

As soon as the the door opened, I ran to stage left in front of the guitar vocal mike so I would be virtually 2 feet away from Yngwie during the show. As people piled in Orange Sky played an okay set. I could see their set list on the stage and was counting down the songs until the end! Yngwie did not come out for at least an hour post the support group. Meanwhile, I was being trampled by these college kids who did not know who Yngwie really was. I was being crushed up against the steel barriers, but held my ground. There appeared to be "technical difficulties" holding up the start of the show. I could see Thomas tuning up various guitars like Yngwie's number 1 and number 2. Also, there must have been an early 1970's maple fingerboard Strat.

The band started with Rising Force, and the crowd went wild. Now, there was smoking allowed and being a non-smoker I was choking as well as screaming out with everyone else. I could not really hear the whole band mix as I was so close to the stage sort of in front of the PA. I could hear Doogie White and Yngwie, along with some stage drum sounds and no bass! It didn't matter as I had pretty much the best location in the house, which I had earned! I had this lunatic behind me who wanted to climb on stage. I kept shoving him back, also this stupid girl on my left kept trying to get a pick and kept shoving herself and her arm in my face as I tried to watch the show. She was causing such a nuisance and tried to grab Yngwie's dream catcher on the mike stand. He had to announce "don't touch that little girl", but he was very gracious and handed her a pick later. She still carried on in this frenzy through the whole show. When a 'pick attack' as I call it happened, a sea of arms would appear and you would be bludgeoned on the head and body as people violently grabbed for the flying white Jim Dunlop's. I eventually got one as the show ended by crawling under the stage barrier and reaching my arm a long way to carefully grab it!

Yngwie would have various guitar problems and would shout at Thomas every so often. He would start a solo and his signal would go dead, etc. Then prior to Black Star's Ovation Viper intro, the MXR Dynacomp was clearly unplugged. We were yelling at Thomas that it's unplugged. Then during the Black Star solo we all looked at our watches when Yngwie holds that long sustained note - hilarious!

I had to wear earplugs due to long past exposure to Marshall stacks since I was a boy in England at 16 years old with a 100 watt Superlead Plexi stack in my bedroom, a Fuzzface, Crybaby Wah, and my transition logo 1965 sunburst Strat. This was in 1968. I had done well for years but 15 years ago I suffered terrible tinnitus which is always with me, always with you as Joe Satriani says.

I digress with this long winded commentary, but I was really impressed with how much Yngwie really cares about his sound, fans, and is still all these years later at the top of his game - this smokeless sober Yngwie. He inspires me, but if I could be such a musical genius as him I would be self confident too! I clandestinely snapped some photos with the disposable camera which I snuck in. I will try to get scans of these and send them to you. Your Yngwie Malmsteen 100% website is great so keep up the great work.

yngwie308
Last edited by yngwie308 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:47 pm

Like what Rockstah said earlier, Yngwie BLEW MY MIND when he came out ! I used to check the billboard charts back when, and it really tripped me out when I saw 'Rising Force' in the top 100 albums.
Yngwie was very larger than life to me at that point (I was 13 or 14 ). He had this sorta dark imagery about himself, which I loved, cause I really liked the whole Dungeons and Dragons scene. I did some serious practicing back then, cause those real LONG , 100 % picked runs of his were, to my ears, about the hardest thing I could imagine playing at that time, not to mention the 'sweep picking' technique, that was 'alien'to me at that point. I had some Eddie, Randy and Schenker stuff that I could play at the time, so I was coming along, techically speaking, but NOBODY back then had Malmsteens technical level, as far as his flat out speed.

I have been listening to the instramental "Marching Out" from his '85 release "Marhing Out" recently. That track, in hind sight, is full of alot of what is missing in much of this modern shredder stuff...... which is FEELING !

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:08 pm

+1 gazillion Tone Slinger, If you want the best, YJM is still by far the most musical of the shred nation. I don't want to get into comparisons, as I tried that and we all now how that went..
I am awed by his magnitude of musical ability and technique and still am.
He still gets it done although we would want a less distorted tone, but all is good and his playing is in a different universe from everyone else.
yngwie308

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:05 pm

yngwie308 wrote:+1 gazillion Tone Slinger, If you want the best, YJM is still by far the most musical of the shred nation. I don't want to get into comparisons, as I tried that and we all now how that went..
I am awed by his magnitude of musical ability and technique and still am.
He still gets it done although we would want a less distorted tone, but all is good and his playing is in a different universe from everyone else.
yngwie308
+1 gazillion here too, Yng & TS. I havent been lucky enough to see Yngwie live YET... but its on my list of "things to do". I really dont think there is anyone to compare him to, simply because he is so damned unique. He literally invented the category of music he plays, and singlehandedly blew the lid off it to a level that, IMHO, no one has been able to touch. When I say that he defies comparison, that is not meant as a dis to any other musicians, its just that, like Hendrix, no one has done what he has done. Im curious to see if anyone comes along and attempts to exceed him, as so many have tried with Hendrix. Sure , there are players that are technically superior to Jimi, but that doesnt mean they can do what he did. As far as someone being technically superior to Yngwie?? I GUESS it could be possible, but to cop that level of expertise, and combine it with his feel for that type of music? I would have to see it to believe it, which is the same thing I have said about Hendrix, and so far, I havent seen it. I think (and hope) he will go down in rock music history for what he is: a TRUE innovator, and as you said Yng, a truly gifted maestro, in a class by himself. To me, absolutely mind blowing. 8) 8) 8)

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:16 pm

Great post Fillmore great to know that other appreciate Yngwie, you are fairly new to this forum, but practically ever since I joined this forum I started a Yngwie Topics forum which was my form of expression and celebration of my love for the maestros music and work.
With the recent housecleaning unfortunately all my work is gone,as far as keeping the Malmsteen flame lit, that will never change, but I was severely disappointed by the deletion of my work.
I have felt the artists section was needed,but would like to have had my data backed up for mine and other sakes, but the delete button was pushed, after the thread being locked and that was that..
I think that I have made my point here and have faithfully supported my artist, for the general good of the forum community, I have let it go, but still gets me upset from time to time.
When I saw Yngwie live, we met him twice before the show and he was the coolest rock star type I have ever met.
Can't wait for the new album and tour. :D
yngwie308
Last edited by yngwie308 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:40 am

yngwie308 wrote:Great post Fillmore great to know that other appreciate Yngwie, you are fairly new to this forum, but practically ever since I joined this forum I started a Yngwie Topics forum which was my form of expression and celebration of my love for the maestros music and work.
With the recent housecleaning unfortunately all my work is gone,as far as keeping the Malmsteen flame lit, that will never change, but I was severely disappointed by the deletion of my work.
I have felt the artists section was needed,but would like to have had my data backed up for mine and other sakes, but the delete button was pushed, after the thread being locked and that was that..
I think that I have made my point here and have faithfully supported my artist, for the general good of the forum community, I have let it go, but still gets me upset from time to time.
When I saw Yngwie live, we met him twice before the show and he was the coolest rock star type I have ever met.
Can't wait for the new album and tour. :D
yngwie308
I know that the housecleaning set your ass on fire, Yng, and like most things in life, its ALL temporary. You seem to be one of the most expressive writers on this forum, and like anyone thats near the top of their game, the thing to do is not to let it, or anyone, get under your skin, cause you know who you are in the world, and its the bigger person that stands back up, kicks off the dust and moves on, not letting others change what is rightfully yours: your gift of expression. Whether or not Im new to this forum, I recognize your creativeness, my friend. 8) 8) 8)

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:30 am

That is a comfort to me fillmore nyc, you are a way cool guy, knew I could count on a New Yorker, both parents born in Brooklyn, dad grew up in the Bronx and my mom in Hempstead, L.I.
There are new words to write and new things to see, hoping to write a comprehensive review of the LA Amp show coming up, I am way excited!!
Check out the USA Charvels forum, I joined there and wrote a lot about my guitars there, it's a locked forum, but is one of the coolest guitar forums I have ever found....
:) yngwie308

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Mike Spitzer from yngwie.org forum has some news that the MIJ YJM's may come with the correct 7.25" radius, allright!!
mikespitzer
Neophyte

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:24 pm Post subject: Japanese YJM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you guys heard any news about Fender Japan updating their line of YJM signature strats ?

I was told they already have a "1972 Reissue" out which uses the 7.25" radius neck from year 1972.

They are using this neck on the current Ritchie Blackmore model which is based on the 1972 reissues.
This is a "C" profile 1972 neck and NOT the thicker "U" neck.

So I guess the idea Fender Japan has is to use this 1972 Reissue as the basis for the new 2008 YJM Signature guitar if the rumor is true.

Sounds good if true.

My only hope if they do offer this guitar is they switch to Alder bodies and not use the common Asian Baswood.

SIDENOTE:
For those who have asked... in my conversations with Larry Lashbrook over the years it seems that Yngwie prefers thinner necks from the 68-72 time period and NOT the thick U shaped necks often found on 70s models.

Why do I say this ?

Larry once mentioned to me that probably 80-90% of the necks he scalloped for Yngwie over the years were vintage 7.25" radius necks.... and that on several occasions Yngwie would also ask him to "thin the neck before scalloping and refretting".

So it sounds like YJM got his hands on a few 70s guitars that had thicker necks and wanted something thinner.

So I guess the recent change to a thinner neck on the 2007 Fender USA YJM Signature models is correct.

(Personally, I think I like the slightly thicker necks from the 2001-2006 signature models better).
9.5" is too flat and makes chording way hard, for me :lol: :lol:
yngwie308
Last edited by yngwie308 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmcguitar

Post by dmcguitar » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:48 pm

Forgive me for making this post, but I want to konw what is actually in Yngwie's rig. Barring one's own fingers and finesse as tone makers what does he use? Is it the same 50 watt head for record and live, what model is anything like that available from George? I know about his guitar, and they have a DOD YJM pedal. Does he run guitar into pedal and split that into multiple heads? I'm just wondering about the basic tone... no super delays that he uses on specific solos.

Thanks.
www.atomicfury.com

that's my band, Im the sole guitarist. Go ahead listen and tell me what you think.. of the band. or me.

-5150II
-custom (I made) 2x12 cab
-custom (I made) strat guitar
-Wayne strat

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:18 pm

For his guitars : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yerf2Q5WMJ0

His Gear: http://www.yngwie.net/ or http://www.yngwie.org/equipment/index.html

Jim from Southbay Ampworks/ Scumback just asked this Q last week.
George is working on putting together a kit to offer as soon as he get's caught up... and that might be sometime later than sooner...
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms