Jeff Beck

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Jeff Beck

Post by NY Chief » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Make that a double, TJ! :worthy: :worthy:

Check out Beck's tribiut to Les Paul (Jeff Beck's Rock & Roll Party) Les would be very proud.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Ya think JB ever heard this? I hear a lot of Freeway Jam in there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrmQwreKssw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Kinda , and you got it backards, pal.
Sounds like John's using Jeff's FACES setup and is in brainfart mode 'cause Jeff would of been embellishing a hell of alot more in choice of notes and taking CHARGE giving the tune dynamics and not givin' a rat's ass what Miles will say or play.... If you know both cats this is totaly week for John and not his type of groove.
John's trying to sound/use Jeff's approach to me on this one. You KNOW what you wanna hear fron JohnnyBoy. RIP-YOUR-FACE-OFF Jazz-Blues prog-fusion licks.
Actually a lame offering on John's part. Miles is like " yeahman... just hold that groove and DON'T FUCKIN' STEP ON MY SHIT, man !'
...and what's with Billy playing with his teacup pinky's out ? More lame-age. Reminds me of Hollywood. Too many front-man actors in a movie...
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:53 pm

Never was big on Mclaughin, Jim. Credit is due obviously just not my cup of tea though JB sure holds him in hi regard. You know I'm a big Beck fan but I thought this was done way before Freeway is what I meant. Just something JB took from.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:15 am

YES ! I know about Jeff towards John....Yeah, I know I was a little heavy handed but, I know both these guy (you know what I mean) real good. Both are in my fingers. Just commenting as I did because what the hell was he waiting for to let loose.... Sorry, the MONSTER that he is, he was holding back.... and for what ? :shrug: Miles ? The respect is a given...?
Kool none-the-less 'cause I never heard this particular tune before and if I did it was a looooooong time ago.

Funny though, it sure does sound like his later FACES rig to right before His stuff.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Does anybody have a guess as to Jeff's gear on the "Private Dancer" solo? I guess it is the pink Jackson superstrat...just some chorus maybe harmonizer...but God that is one of the most elegant solos I have ever heard. And likely all done with equipment I can't stand personally! Even "Infatutation" has some incredibly aggressive playing that fits perfectly...so much good stuff from him in the 80s that most people miss.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 pm

garbeaj wrote:...so much good stuff from him in the 80s that most people miss.
and the other era's as well.... :o

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Rig run down vid from current Brian Wilson shows...

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/1 ... -jeff-beck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:03 pm

very coool !
got two of the early jeff beck strats.
this super white body, seems that it's been a replcaement, it doesn't look like the original more yellowish strat he had. saw all three two times for real.
also, no more steve prior as a guitar tech ?

Lefty Lou

Re:

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Does anyone know what year Beck's black Les Paul standard was ? I alway's loved the sound he got out of it. It looked like it was the perfect guitar for him.That les Paul strapped on Beck looked perfect.
I read years ago that Beck's Les Paul that he used on "Blow By Blow" was Botswana Brown. The reason that specific stuck in my mind was I also remember it being said that the famous Beck Tele used in the Yardbirds later turned into the "Dragon" Tele used by Jimmy Page on the early Led Zeppelin material eventually was painted Botswana Brown as well. Somebody had the paint, whether it was Beck or Page or their guitar techs who knows.

I guess if one wanted to dig further they could check for a correlation using a timeline like, when did Page paint his Tele and when did Beck paint his Les Paul. If they both had paint jobs on these famous guitars around the same time then it's entirely possible that they both used the same paint.
Last edited by Lefty Lou on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Lefty Lou

Re:

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Damn, a '54 huh. I was hoping it was like a '69-72 or something. Cause I someday might could swing that, but never a '54. Add to that, I'm sure that guitar had some nice 'old growth' Honduran mahogany as well, which like you mentioned, is very hard to come by. I'm hoping thier are still a few 'jems' still being made by Gibson. I've never had a real 'Les Paul' before.
If you can locate a 70' to 80's Tokai or Greco Les Paul you'll get pretty damn close, I know I wouldn't part with my 82' Greco Super Real guitar which used to be owned by Elliot Easton. Not because of Elliot, but due to how great the guitar sounds and feels. Even the Dry Z pickups which appear to have "black backs" which is possibly wax or an epoxy coating does not stifle the sound in any way and sounds open and very much PAF.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Lou, that LP is known as Oxblood. JB found it at Strings and Things in Memphis. It's a '54 somebody had S&T's install HB's and paint it "brown". When the guy saw the finished "custom" he wasn't happy with it in the store, JB grabbed on a shopping trip! It went on to make Blow by Blow history. Gibby recentoy did a trib version. I have an earlier unauthorized Gbby take on it. Pics do not do the Oxblood color justice at all. Gotta see it in person.

His Yardbirds Esquire was traded to Seymour Duncan in exchange for the "TeleGib" Duncan built for him. The TeleGib is famous for recording Cause We've Ended as Lovers. Not sure if Seymour stil has it. Thought I heard he offered back to JB.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Pardon me if this has already been said in 27 or so pages of this thread but,

During the "Blow By Blow" sessions recorded in 1974 and ’75 and produced by George Martin, Jeff got a visit from pickup wiz Seymour Duncan. “He had a couple of guitars,” Beck recounts. “And he asked if I still had the old Esquire. I said, ‘Yeah.’ He showed me this Tele with a very heavy ash body, with two humbuckers in it – so it was the best of both worlds between the Fender and Les Paul. I ended up using it on ‘’Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers.’ He asked if I could bring the Esquire the next day, so I did, and he said, ‘Do you want to swap?’ So I made the swap, because the Tele he’d loaned me was a much better guitar than the Esquire – although it occurred to me that I was losing my old workhorse.”

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Man,I was reading those above quoted posts and realized that I said I had never owned a 'Real' Les Paul. I actually did back in '84. I was 13 and it was a Les Paul Custom 'Silver Burst'. It was dead mint except for a 50 cent piece size 'buckle rash' on it where someones belt buckle was as they stood and played.My parents paid $500 bucks for it. It was WAY too heavy for me so I got the money back the very next day. In hind sight, I guess that guitar was a '78 to '80 era. Worth maybe 4 or 5 grand now :palm: .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 pm

http://youtu.be/X6dFeVos3X0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a great set, I really enjoy listening to. Beck is just pulling shit out of nowhere constantly. I dont hear any repeated licks. Most guys are playing fast TOO much or tapping too much, etc,(ear fatigue :what: ) but with Beck, at least back then, I dont get ear fatigue. He gets a bit on my nerves nowadays with the whole fingers and whammy bar thing though.

I believe the 'Blow by Blow' les Paul with the wrap around bridge was the one in this set (its at first stood beside his stack). It was a 'bare' top I guess before the brown Botswana/ox blood huh ? *EDIT* maybe it isnt that Les Paul though .

I love that strat. With the exception of the broke pick guard, it looks (I mean mine looks)like my main Tokai '56 strat. That is the same strat that is on the back of the '77 live Beck/Jan Hammer album. It borrowed the rosewood board neck off of the white strat by that point though ('77).On this '72 set, The neckon it is probably the original, and seeing since it has no 'skunk stripe' but is a maple board and has the small headstock, it was a special order from the '59 to '65 era with a round lam maple finger board sorta like the candy apple red one Hendrix had for a minute in '67.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)