Ulrich Jon Roth

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Ulrich Jon Roth

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:24 pm

This dude blows my mind. His playing has always been so inventive. He has the astral, trancendental qualities that Hendrix was so close to, as well as imense technical capabilities. This guy is imo one of the greatest guitarists ever.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:29 pm

I loved what he with the early (real) Scorpions.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:41 pm

Yeah, they (Scorpions) were extremely great back in the 70's. I remember tripping on those album covers. I thought "those guy's are those drugged out rock dudes" my mom warned me of :D . They had pure,almost ancient sounding melodies and hooks. Uli is about the worst singer I've ever heard. He makes Ace Frehley sound like a vocal virtuoso :D . I loved Klaus's vocals, especially "Pictured Life" and "We'll Burn The Skies". For great effective shred (notice I said effective, no typewriters here) "Sails Of Sharon" is an exellent choice. I love the lyrics as well. Hey Chief, do have any of Uli's post Scorpions albums ?

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Yeah, they (Scorpions) were extremely great back in the 70's. I remember tripping on those album covers. I thought "those guy's are those drugged out rock dudes" my mom warned me of :D . They had pure,almost ancient sounding melodies and hooks. Uli is about the worst singer I've ever heard. He makes Ace Frehley sound like a vocal virtuoso :D . I loved Klaus's vocals, especially "Pictured Life" and "We'll Burn The Skies". For great effective shred (notice I said effective, no typewriters here) "Sails Of Sharon" is an exellent choice. I love the lyrics as well. Hey Chief, do have any of Uli's post Scorpions albums ?
No I don't. I lost track of him after he split the Scorps.

I have some of early vinyl with the Europen covers. There were some that didn't make it past the US censors and had to be changed. IIRC Love Drive had a wrapper on it so you couldn't see the bubblegum on the girl's titties!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:55 am

Yeah they had to change "Taken By Force", no naked 12 year old girl allowed ! I remember around the early 80's when mercury rereleased all those RCA albums (I'm looking for origional 'import' versions of these) Those guy's had some hot babes on the cover's. My favorite was the chick on the "In Trance" album :D .

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:58 am

Virgin Killers!

This link shows the US version but there are other's I had forgotten about it. I make this a separate thread...

Ever see Mom's Apple Pie? There's slice taken out of the pie that looks much like a female body part....

http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_vie ... 25&start=0

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Right, yeah it was 'Virgin Killers'. I havent seen the Momma's Apple Pie cover, but wold like too. There was some trippin stuff on that list of albums.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:09 pm

One of the best !
if he would only keep his mouth shut :P
IMO He should of found a killer singer to represent his music.
His chops, there's no question of abilities here,
His studio engineering awesome.
His tone "effect-ly" nice

Legends of Rock - Live at Castle Donington
This DVD shows he still (to this day) can turn some heads !

Wonder if he has a few of Jimi's guitars under his bed...?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 am

It is a rumour that he has Jimi's 'Black Beauty' strat. I think he does. His 2000 version of 'Voodoo Child' sounded very...... authentic. 8) .He certainly wasnt using the sky guitar on it (I dont like the sound of the sky guitar too much). Roth is a good human being as well.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:58 am

Tone Slinger wrote:It is a rumour that he has Jimi's 'Black Beauty' strat. I think he does. His 2000 version of 'Voodoo Child' sounded very...... authentic. 8) .He certainly wasnt using the sky guitar on it (I dont like the sound of the sky guitar too much). Roth is a good human being as well.
My Friend and alumni, Hawk, Played with Uli on a recent project. He said he's great guy.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:16 pm

I'm sure the black Strat was bought by the ubitquous Paul Allen of Microsoft and is at the Experience Hendrix exhibit in Seattle.
At least something wasn't bought by Guitar Center :lol: :lol: .
Uli is a close friend of Yngwie (the original one, not me :lol: ) and was at this years NAMM show with him and Yngwie has a Sky guitar given to him by Yngwie.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Dave, do you know how much the 'Black Beauty' went for ?

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Here are some shots of the very limited, like 3 made, Woodstock Hendrix Replica Strat. these are Fender guys in the pictures:
Here is some info on the black Stratocaster:
222625 1968 Black maple used oct 1968-sep 1970.

http://www.univibes.com/BlackStrat.html
http://www.stratcollector.com/newsdesk/ ... 00108.html
http://legendarytones.com/staffgeardave.html
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/loudfast/ ... b/mgun.htm
believe that jimi's fav guitar was indeed his "black beauty"
black strat with a maple neck... this is the guitar he favoured amongst many of his performances during the last year of his life, it is also the same guitar he had with him at monikas flat when he died....the guitar is in the possession of uli john Roth {monikas ex-partner} of scorpions fame .
this guitar is in storage and has not been adjusted or even had strings changed since jimi died....i believe it should be given back to Leon {jimi's brother} as he is the true "next of kin" alive today!

So I was wrong Billy it appears that Uli Jon has this guitar, awesome.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:04 am

Man, I knew Uli had moved to England with Monika in '78. Until recently I didnt know,however, that Monika had died ('96) or that she had the black strat. Uli ,in concert footage from the early 80's, obviously played his main 'white' strat mainly. It is a '74 or '75 model. He calls it 'White Star'. he had it's fretboard extended with 2 extra frets in '82. Uli also used a second strat,and keeping in the tradition of Hendrix, it was black/maple board one. It was a bullet rod model though,like his white one.

I bet it has been very hard on Uli to keep himself from restringing that strat, and jamming out. That guitar is worth a FORTUNE ! I am glad that Uli has it though. I feel that the only family member that Hendrix really ever had was his Father Al,at least in Life,that is. Leon would probably trade it for some crack or something if he had it. I dont know, I just dont trust many in the 'Hendrix' organization.

xjunjix

Post by xjunjix » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:04 pm

which album can i find more Sails of Charon style songs.
i saw a video on youtube of that song, so i tried some of his scorpions stuff, but i can't seem to really find that type of song.