Pete Townsend

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Pete Townsend

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:34 pm

I don't care what you young guns say. Townsend is an elder statesman.

Great article in "Recording" mag this month. Townsend was one of the first to have a home studio. His one man demo's are almost exactly like the final Who tracks.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Pete Townsend

Post by fillmore nyc » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:55 pm

NY Chief wrote:I don't care what you young guns say. Townsend is an elder statesman.

Great article in "Recording" mag this month. Townsend was one of the first to have a home studio. His one man demo's are almost exactly like the final Who tracks.
Anyone that puts his trem bar thru his hand doing windmills, and then does a portrait of himself with his bandaged hand and the axe has got my vote, hands down. (pun intended, or not intended...your choice--one way or the other, Pete fukkin' rocks) 8) 8) 8)

Eargasm

Post by Eargasm » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Wasn't it Pete that told Jim Marshall "Cut that bloody 8x12 cab in half...it's killin' my roadies!!!"...and the Marshall stack was born...
Gotta love him just for that alone!
Fuck it.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:20 pm

Eargasm wrote:Wasn't it Pete that told Jim Marshall "Cut that bloody 8x12 cab in half...it's killin' my roadies!!!"...and the Marshall stack was born...
That plus the hundred watter, too!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:55 am

Live at Leeds is a rock icon, one of the greatest statements of power chord rock there is, put even the hallowed AC/DC into perspective and it's only one bloke, bloody 'ell.
Gibson SG + Hiwatt Hell = Sonic Nirvana, whatever happened later, Pete is bloody amazin' and will always be.........
I have the Track records single of I Can See For Miles...I used to play it at school in England as a lad and the power of that song and the unison riff melody, plus the f*$in great chords, equaled a powerful statement, people would look on with shock, what is that!!'
I am old enough to remeber when music had that power, not often equalled today, something like Jeremy, by Pearl Jam perhaps, but not often.
Pete was a mod, who was a rocker..I slept under the pier in Brighton, The Who's music captures a special time in England's history and world history, great stuff.. Pinball Wizard,Tommy, Quadraphenia, these are classics.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

geoff_bell

Post by geoff_bell » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:12 am

it was seeing footage of the who on the tv that made me realise that you didn't have to fret all the strings of a chord to play it. it was this that showed me the one-finger "a" and the one finger "e". man, i must've been soft to have taken the chord distionaries and songbooks that i learned from so literally!

obviously, i never really picked up on his jazz chords and picking, but it was townshend that got me the power-chords and use of suspended-fourth chords.

i used some of their songs from the 'sixties when i was learning guitar, but it was live at leeds and who's next that are my fave albums to play.

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 am

Eargasm wrote:Wasn't it Pete that told Jim Marshall "Cut that bloody 8x12 cab in half...it's killin' my roadies!!!"...and the Marshall stack was born...
Actually, i believe it was the opposite. Pete asked for the 8 x 12 and Jim Marshall hesitated... they built them and finally, later on, Pete came to his senses.

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 am

wdelaney72 wrote:Actually, i believe it was the opposite. Pete asked for the 8 x 12 and Jim Marshall hesitated... they built them and finally, later on, Pete came to his senses.
That is correct. He does get credit for pushing Jim Marshall into building the 100 watt amp. And when asking for the 8x12 he wanted the speakers stacked tall. Previously Marshall had staggered the speakers for wide 4x12s. Later he did come back and admit his roadies could not handle the 8x12 and would Jim cut it in half. The story goes that Jim built new stackable 4x12s.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:49 am

I love PT's solo stuff as well.

For Townsend fans who haven't heard Scoop or Double Scoop, get it!

There bascially demos from his home studio that becamse Who classiscs. Amazing part is they're not all much different than the finished studion arrangements. What a great songwriter.

And as a mentor told me once when I asked are the Who good :oops:

He said "When you hear that tight A chord at the end of Won't get Fooled again" at about a billon watts, you'll understand the power of the Who....

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

geoff_bell

Post by geoff_bell » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:21 pm

i remember reading an interview with the ox years and years ago. this was after the split (y'know the original split in the 1980s). he claimed that townshend went back to his who demos and added tracks to them to make them sound more like the who versions before adding them to the original scoop album.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:30 pm

geoff_bell wrote:i remember reading an interview with the ox years and years ago. this was after the split (y'know the original split in the 1980s). he claimed that townshend went back to his who demos and added tracks to them to make them sound more like the who versions before adding them to the original scoop album.
That's weird....

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Thu May 01, 2008 5:00 pm

one of the best rock bands and definetly one of the best rock tones (guitar but not only, all the members of the band were good like in Free , lynyrd, led zep, hendrix...) , especialy from the late 60's , through the 70's.

out of focus

Post by out of focus » Tue May 06, 2008 4:33 pm

"Live at Leeds" is in my opinion, the most powerful live album ever... It kills speakers. Gotta love it !

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed May 07, 2008 11:13 am

NY Chief wrote: And as a mentor told me once when I asked are the Who good :oops:

He said "When you hear that tight A chord at the end of Won't get Fooled again" at about a billon watts, you'll understand the power of the Who....

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed May 07, 2008 11:57 am

Damn straight, Chief. I think that's the first thing I played on George's JTM 45-100 at the last amp show. Woke my friend up in the room above George's! :twisted: