Ritchie Blackmore

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Billy Batz

Ritchie Blackmore

Post by Billy Batz » Sun May 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Its funny. I never went and looked up his gear. I knew he used Majors and a treble booster and figured that was that. Every time I listened to the awesome tone on Machine Head something just didnt click. I always scratched my head over how compressed that tone was. Compressed and dark. Nothing like a 100W so how could a major do that? Its a tone I for years always identified more with Vox's. Damned if I didnt just read thats what he recorded that ablum with. Strat-HB Treble Booster-AC30 normal channel. Great tone on that one. I was never crazy about the live tone like many people are. Burn is a good tone but not like MH IMO.

Yngve
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Yngve » Sun May 25, 2008 9:48 pm

EL84 been over driven, typical of even Tommy Emmanuel recorded his album with a Fender Champ. So l heard Jimmy Page used a small amp to record, correct me if l am wrong.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 am

Small Supros and even an AC30 is what I heard for Page in the studio.

Those small amps record great in small places but I know with my AC30 it just got ate up with a band. I dont mean volume so much. Unatenuated it would be loud it just always seemed muddy and boxey. That lazy compression that sounds so good on record just made it lack clarity live. Theres a con though. Even though 100Wers are the opposite, with a strat bridge pickup they are stiff and harsh as hell. Vox's sound great. Like Machine Head. I think thats an awesome strat bridge tone. I rarely even mess witht he bridge with a strat and marshall.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon May 26, 2008 6:51 pm

I too often wondered why his tone was a bit different on the "Machine Head" album. I also assumed he was using a Marshall. I mean, it was obvious a strat was being used, but his tone was different than he got there after. His tone in the solo to "Maybe I'm A Leo" just KILLS ! That solo has a very odd,almost 'demented' kinda vibe to it. I love every note played on that album. It is one of the great hard rock albums of all time.

Yngve
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Yngve » Mon May 26, 2008 8:18 pm

Earlier breakup of the EL84 and smoother distortion.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue May 27, 2008 9:28 am

Tone Slinger wrote:I too often wondered why his tone was a bit different on the "Machine Head" album. I also assumed he was using a Marshall. I mean, it was obvious a strat was being used, but his tone was different than he got there after. His tone in the solo to "Maybe I'm A Leo" just KILLS ! That solo has a very odd,almost 'demented' kinda vibe to it. I love every note played on that album. It is one of the great hard rock albums of all time.
Its funny I never made the connection. The qualities of that tone always reminded me of AC30s but for some reason I just kept thinking there must be something with the "active' tone controls on the major mixed with studio compression or something. Just never put 2 and 2 together because it sounds way too smooth for a marshall. Listen to Made in Japan or any live album. Its so biting. I couldnt deal with that. The album tone on MH is a great tone form the strat bridge position. I cant really think of any others. Even when Jimi used the bridge it was so damn harsh.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue May 27, 2008 11:08 am

Me too, Dan. I'm a big early Blackmore fan and always loved Who Do We Think We Are, Machine Head and Burn and never did understand how Blackmore got that tone out of a Strat and a Major....because he didn't! I just heard that recently as well. Lazy is probably my favorite for both the tone and flawless playing.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Tue May 27, 2008 12:44 pm

He was also playing a 335 for the longest time in Purple (MK1 and MK II) and he still had a similar tone. Not sure if they're still there (youtube is blocked at work) but search for "wring that neck". Also, VH1 had one of those "classic albums" shows on Machinehead that goes through the entire album and the sessions so if you see that, you should be able to check out what was used.

It's weird, when I think Blackmore I always think strat neck pickup on Made in Japan....and strat bridge pick-up on Made in Europe. Always loved his studio as well as the Made in Japan tone. His guitar tone on "Black Night" or "No No No" (Fireball) is killer...especially like his slide/echo solo that makes it sound like a cello or something...very cool.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue May 27, 2008 2:38 pm

NY Chief wrote:Me too, Dan. I'm a big early Blackmore fan and always loved Who Do We Think We Are, Machine Head and Burn and never did understand how Blackmore got that tone out of a Strat and a Major....because he didn't! I just heard that recently as well. Lazy is probably my favorite for both the tone and flawless playing.
Yeah definitely. Lazy is Blackmore at the top of his game, playing and tone. I learned that whole solo one time. I think I took a lot of it with me.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue May 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Uli Roth also got a pretty good tone out of his strats bridge pu. But I agree Dan, tha bridge pu on a strat is normally it's weak point. I think Blackmore alway's sounded great with his neck pu, but only 'great' through his bridge pu on 'Machine Head'. I agree with that for sure.
Ever notice how not only EVH sounds like Blackmore (except that bridge hb'er took care of the feebleness Blackmore got there) but also played ALOT of similar type licks. Those ascending and decending 'rolling' type licks in "I'm The One", sound alot like some of those licks in "Lazy". If Blackmore had had a hb'er in the bridge of his strat, it would have sounded a whole hell of alot like say, VH2.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue May 27, 2008 6:26 pm

Tone Slinger wrote: Ever notice how not only EVH sounds like Blackmore (except that bridge hb'er took care of the feebleness Blackmore got there) but also played ALOT of similar type licks. Those ascending and decending 'rolling' type licks in "I'm The One", sound alot like some of those licks in "Lazy". If Blackmore had had a hb'er in the bridge of his strat, it would have sounded a whole hell of alot like say, VH2.
Yeah, but Ritchie did it first! :wink:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue May 27, 2008 6:28 pm

Billy Batz wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Me too, Dan. I'm a big early Blackmore fan and always loved Who Do We Think We Are, Machine Head and Burn and never did understand how Blackmore got that tone out of a Strat and a Major....because he didn't! I just heard that recently as well. Lazy is probably my favorite for both the tone and flawless playing.
Yeah definitely. Lazy is Blackmore at the top of his game, playing and tone. I learned that whole solo one time. I think I took a lot of it with me.
That's cool, Dan. I always promised myself that I would sit down and really learn that one day. Even if I did I wouldn't be able to pull it off that clean in one take :oops:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue May 27, 2008 7:30 pm

I never said I could pull it off clean! I can play through it without a major hitch but its gonna be choppy as hell.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed May 28, 2008 7:23 am

Speaking of 'choppy', I just love the extended 'Child In Time" solo on "Made In Japan". That is reckless as hell, with lots of attack and aggression. I love how Lords went into that dorian based chord progression that leads into the solo. Those guy's had a real good feel/vibe togather. Great live band.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed May 28, 2008 10:33 am

Billy Batz wrote:I never said I could pull it off clean! I can play through it without a major hitch but its gonna be choppy as hell.
Well that makes me feel a little better! :D
I love the double tracked stuff he pulled off as well. Weird dude but hell of a guitar player. I remember he said he took lessons from Big Jim Sullivan. When I was a kid and my Mom HAD to watch the Tom Jones show I vaugely remember Big Jim. Jones would ask him a question and Big Jim would answer with licks. Cool.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"