Wiki Editor

Les Paul & Friends - May, EJ, Chet....

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:50 pm

NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

54strat
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 54strat » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:00 pm

I suppose it's time someone mentioned Les Paul...maybe there's an old thread. We owe a LOT to Les Paul for pioneering the solid body guitar and multi-track recording. EVERYTHING was mono until Les Paul. And at eighty-something he STILL plays his ass off. He did a couple of albums in the late seventies with Chet Atkins. The first one is called "Chester & Lester" the second called "Guitar Monsters'. The first is especially good. And Chet Atkins makes me ill anyway. I don't care what kind of music you play or enjoy, you have to admire someone who can play two different songs at the same time! He was the master at thumb picking a bass line while finger picking a melody. And seeing him on TV play two different songs at once made me say "Why do I bother?" Chet needs his own thread as well! A lot of early George Harrison solos were weak attempts at Chet Atkins. And you may not know that Les Paul broke his right arm severely in a car crash when he was young. The doctor told him he would have to set it where he would no longer be able to bend his elbow. Les told him to set it where he could still play guitar. Still can not move his right elbow...still plays his ass off.
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Oh,yeah. We've been all through that! I know the was a Les Paul thread here. I think I even started it.

A couple of us went to see Les in NY not long ago. STILL playing his ass off!

Check this...

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... ul&start=0

edit...
AHA!!! Here it is and it was me!!! :D

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... t=les+paul
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"