Reproducing AC/DC's "Back in Black Tone"

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

SoloDallas
Just the numbers in order: 7

Reproducing AC/DC's "Back in Black Tone"

Post by SoloDallas » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:23 pm

George knows it, some others know it, I've been on it for as long as I can remember.
Recently bought a few late '70s JMPs, and came down to this.

I am working hard on it. To me, it's the best guitar tone ever made, still to this day.

A few info and sundclips for your review.
I would like to thank member "Roe" (I think he is from this forum) as he posted some very interesting information about AC/DC equipment.

Thanks,
SD :D

Well, long story short: after literally years of searching (badly) and rehearsing, I think I have found the amps - or the amps types - used in Back in Black by the brothers.
Now, that album - Back in Black - is no easy task, despite it may sound simple, it ain't easy. But this, you - reader - probably knew already.

My ultimate attempt is and has been, the replication of Back in Black tone.
I have begun a long time ago, but only during the last two months I feel I have made progress to an interesting point.

The amplifiers I am using now are several late '70s JMPs.
Here, in this sound file, a 1976 JMP Super Lead has been used with a 1971 Gibson SG standard for rhythm and a 1967 SG Standard for the solo.

I need your ears.
Here's the equalization curves I used (I used an Audio Technica AT4047 close on AXIS to the cone of a 1969 4x12 Marshall Cabinet with original greenbacks in it, which I think were used as well on the original recording; I am waiting on another cabinet with G12H30s from 1973 to try and see differences):

Lead tone:
Settings for the head for the lead were:
Presence 0, Bass 10, mids 10, treble 10, Volume I 10, guitar volume 8.

Rhythm curve:
Settings for the rhythm were: presence 0, bass 8, mids 4, treble 6, volume 8, guitar volume 7.

What do YOU think? How would you equalize? I worked hard on all this.
Frankly, while I think I am almost there on the rhythm parts, I feel the solo needs another curve or other settings. Help.

Thanks for reading,

SD

PS

I have a site working on all of this, here's the post link:
1976 Marshall Super Lead MkII & Back in Black

(needs registration)

CLIPS:

Whole song:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9765770" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parts (no track):
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9765771" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chrisom

Re: Reproducing AC/DC's "Back in Black Tone"

Post by chrisom » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:44 pm

Sounds like you nailed it. Now you just need to find someone with a JTM-45 to play Malcolm's parts... :D
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :hairband: :hairband:

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:52 pm

Haha, thank you :)
Why, I have George's JTM50 he made for me for that purpose :D

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:31 am

Nice.

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:01 am

Thanks for listening! :D

Studio by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Danhalen

Post by Danhalen » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:00 am

Rhythm part nailed and solo extremely close! I agree that for the solo the difference may be a production thing the tone sounds soo close. Sounds amazing!

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:16 pm

I was wondering when AC/DC was going to get some love here. To me, the Back in Black album is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. I can't think of a bad song on there. When I listen to it, it still sounds great. I love the sound of the drums, especially. And it has some of the greatest guitar tones and tastiest rhythm and lead playing. No wonder some 30 years after its release it's still so popular.

To me, Angus' and Malcolm's tones were a bit smoother on the high end, still with some edge, but not that "rain of nails" sound like on VH1. Fat and meaty, and still tight. To me, it's the epitome of the cranked 4-hole Marshall sound. If "tone is in the hands" applies to EVH, then it also applies to Angus. The man has got a wicked vibrato.

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:25 pm

SteadyEddie, I don't think I could have chosen a better sequence of words and concepts than you did.
By the way, it may be interesting to know the Back in Black, the album, is the second best selling album of all times and all genres. Yep. They made it up there. I hope it'll get to the top, in FRONT of Michael Jackson's Thriller, which is still number one.

Roe

Post by Roe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:07 am

SoloDallas wrote:...
I would like to thank member "Roe" ... posted some very interesting information about AC/DC equipment.
The amplifiers I am using now are several late '70s JMPs.
Here, in this sound file, a 1976 JMP Super Lead has been used with a 1971 Gibson SG standard for rhythm and a 1967 SG Standard for the solo.

I need your ears.
Here's the equalization curves I used (I used an Audio Technica AT4047 close on AXIS to the cone of a 1969 4x12 Marshall Cabinet with original greenbacks in it, which I think were used as well on the original recording; I am waiting on another cabinet with G12H30s from 1973 to try and see differences):

Lead tone:...
Settings for the head for the lead were:
Presence 0, Bass 10, mids 10, treble 10, Volume I 10, guitar volume 8.

Rhythm curve:
Settings for the rhythm were: presence 0, bass 8, mids 4, treble 6, volume 8, guitar volume 7.

SD
Hi thanks for posting. good work, sound nice. some brief suggestions or thoughts: I prefer the g12h30 75hz for angus's rhythm tone and for crisper solos. the g12m is great for smoother and bluesier solos and for mal's tone.

rhythm settings seems good but the bass is to muddy. I usually keep bass lower (amps, pots, tubes and guitars vary so the settings are never exactly the same)
have you tried a 50w with low screens filtering (32uf) for solos? also adding some reverb and trying other microphones might help
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 am

Roe,
thanks for coming in. It has been some time that I have been reading - and using - your information.
I also linked your site to mine (at http://www.solodallas.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) where talking about Back in Black.
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes indeed. I have two old cabinets incoming, slanted and non slanted with original G12H30s in them, both from early-mid seventies. I too had the suspicion Angus may have used those. As you probably can guess, I am only interested in AC/DC work during the '70s, topping with Back in Black. After that, things changed.
My quest for tone, licks, playing style and gear about them has been a long one and it is far from being over. I actually am just beginning again, this time with gear, this is why - after getting a few JMPs of the era, I put myself into it again with renewed, fresh enthusiasm.
I also need to learn to "produce" these tests/audio files better, Roe. Equalizing is a hard task and I am just a novice at it.
I am also using attenuators, which - you know - make bass freqs "fart-like". I will try and approximate - in time - tone with further experimenting. My purpose is to also document everything and possibly, help people replicate it.

Thanks again,
yours,

Fil

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:03 pm

First, I would say, kick-ASS playing SoloDallas! You really have Angus' feel nailed to the floor! Man. Only a few folks can really get not only the licks but the feel of the greats, and I'd say you have it inside of you for sure. 8)
SoloDallas wrote:...I also need to learn to "produce" these tests/audio files better, Roe. Equalizing is a hard task and I am just a novice at it.
I am also using attenuators, which - you know - make bass freqs "fart-like". I will try and approximate - in time - tone with further experimenting. My purpose is to also document everything and possibly, help people replicate it.
Here is what caught me off guard, in reference to your post with the EQ pics. I thought, "Wait, is he tracking and then EQ-ing the tracks in post? Yes! Oh shit, I have to say something!" And I'm going to try to be brief and blunt, but do not take it the wrong way, because you are otherwise THERE with the gear, the licks, and the recording setup. So take this "in the mix" of everything else that you already have going on.

I personally think that you should really try to re-cut again, if only for more fun and experimentation, just the guitar and the amp (ok with attenuator, that's tricky) and dial the tone and depth with the guitar, amp, and mic only. Try to dial it all in on the guitar and the amp, and capture it with the mic. Try to NOT use any post EQ! Especially that ProTools EQ. It's an OK EQ and gets the job done, but EQs can be Dangerous if you are primarily relying on it to dial your tone.

I don't know what mics were used to recording BnB, but regardless, do you think they used a lot of post record, outboard gear to really shape and smooth that tone? F-NO! They recorded with Class A gear that resides on it's own Power Grid, and we mere mortals are trying to do this digitally and with plug-ins. See the diff in tone right there at the source?

OK, See, you have in your lead tone a Massive 12, almost 13 db hump in your HMF. This alone pretty much kills whatever may have happened with your amp. So I would say we are not actually hearing your rig!

In your rhythm guitar, those Humps are not just "bumps" ... there are Mountains of db gain ... from 9 to 17 db of GAIN! All done from a digital EQ that ships stock. See?

The main reason I'm keen on your plight is I've been cleaning up a "turd" recording session. Guys I know recorded to an 8-track 1/2" machine that is so far out of alignment, it's almost an "Audio Restoration" gig instead of a mix. Terrible mic technic (I saw it!)... SM58 laying on a pillow inside the bass drum kind of crap. Out of phase, you name it. My Nashville engineer bud has been schooling me on the most efficient, but True path, to getting the job done right and within reason, and within my limited understanding and means. I bought IK Multimedia's T-Racks Classic EQ just for this gig, and it is stellar to use. (Got it when IK had a Standalone Plug-In Sale, $50 each! sign up and wait for their sales :wink: )

Anyway, because this particular session was SO bad, he suggested we go in and add "Smiley Curves" to the drums and a few select things. Here's the actual smiley we used, and note, we ONLY added a max of 10 db, and we ONLY used the HPF and LPF. This was used to bring back the brilliance and lo-end that the old tape machine ate along the way. To repeat, we are only using this much gain to compensate for loss on the tape, not to shape tone. And we only used the Hi and Lo Pass for this. 10 db is a LOT to add, way too much especially for a plug-in, but we are trying to save something here...

At any rate, and oddly enough, your tracks sound great! :D But you get where I'm coming from, and if noone knew better (not that I do!), then you could leave it at that. But one may hear the "forced shelving" that it going on with those guitar tracks. There is NO REASON on Earth that anyone should have to use that much post EQ for anything, unless you are out to anihilate the track. Though they sound good in the mix of the original, I'd just say they are "not true". :bang:

Now, if you have to lean on EQ, then I would only bump or cut anything 4 db or so. Period. You should get it at the source. Try to think Old School. 90% of the work is in pre-production, getting the setup right. When you've tracked and go to mix, it's done and it's there and it's a breeze.

It's a tough balance: the guitar, the pickups, the amp, the speakers, the attenuator, the microphone, the room. A very tough balancing act, but a joy to "do".

I'd say start all your amp settings at 12 o'clock, including Pre and Master Vols. Then, attenuate but try to keep things as loud as you or the neighbors can stand. :rock: Keeping the attenuator as out-of-the-way as possible can only help.
BTW, I love that you used your guitar's Vol knobs down to 7 and 8. :thumbsup:
Then, attenuate, or dial OUT Bass, Prescence, Hi's until you actually hear THAT tone in the room, or coming off the speakers.
The mic will impart and pass certain frequencies too, so track it and listen to what the mic does to that tone, then adjust the amp to work with the mic. Try an SM57 too.
But you've got to get it at the amp, and not on the desktop man, that's my point.

Also, if you have the hard drive space, try to record in 24-bit 88.2k for the highest resolution possible. That will help your playback perception tremendously.

Remember, you have an SG and a late 70's JMP! Try to remember that That's All You Really Need!

And once again, Killer Playing!

:toast:
dave

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:58 am

Dave,
impressive write up: THANK YOU for taking the time to do it.
I think you are right on the money: needs a re-cut.
I had read that Platt had EQ'd th guitars BEFORE them going to tape, but naturally he hasn't EQ'd that much. The EQ though was in the signal path, as stated by Platt in interviews. Microphones were either two U67s or one U87 and one U67.

I am using AT4047s and now a sort of replica attempt of the U67, a Mojave MA200.
It's true, I have exactly the same gear Angus used, so the sound should come out of the room.

Got the message home, will keep on studying

Thanks again,

yours,

Fil :)

Edit: by the way Dave, Roe had mentioned above (and elsewhere) as he thought that cabs used for this album/track was likely a 1960B with G12H30s. I think he is right. Got one a few days ago, it's from 1973, and plugging JMPs in it seems to get me closer. Another reason to re-take this one.

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:01 am

SoloDallas wrote:Dave,
impressive write up: THANK YOU for taking the time to do it.
I think you are right on the money: needs a re-cut.
I had read that Platt had EQ'd th guitars BEFORE them going to tape, but naturally he hasn't EQ'd that much. The EQ though was in the signal path, as stated by Platt in interviews. Microphones were either two U67s or one U87 and one U67.

I am using AT4047s and now a sort of replica attempt of the U67, a Mojave MA200.
It's true, I have exactly the same gear Angus used, so the sound should come out of the room.

Got the message home, will keep on studying

Thanks again,

yours,

Edit: by the way Dave, Roe had mentioned above (and elsewhere) as he thought that cabs used for this album/track was likely a 1960B with G12H30s. I think he is right. Got one a few days ago, it's from 1973, and plugging JMPs in it seems to get me closer. Another reason to re-take this one.
Cool, sorry for the wind, I had no idea how Platt did it. I was just expounding my general philosophy on recording and using post plug-ins to save the day, I guess. So, EQ makes sense sometimes! But careful! I think you have to use mic-pre's too? The mic pre could make a world of difference too, ya know. Wasn't George M. spec building some mic pres there for a while? I haven't read much on the actual recording, is the EQ that Platt used mentioned anywhere?

Nice score on the cab! Definitely re-take with both cabs! One take each, then A/B them, or blend to taste ! :lol: :rocker:

edit: By the way, great to see you on the Metro Forum! I have to say I've been diggin' your videos for a few years now, and here you are! I remember you laying out some AC/DC vids with your Bray modded Marshall 1987x. I just sold my 2204 Reissue small box head, and was looking for my first Plexi. I heard folks were buying the "then new" Plexi Reissues and modding them out to taste, or having George do them right. That's when I heard of Metropoulos. I ended up with a Metro 1987x which I've moved up into a 12Series. Set for life now. And so you've helped me a long time ago without knowing it! :oops: :lol: Thanks Fil!
Big fan of Roe's bands and playing, too, ever since I joined the forum. He's helped me sort my build out plenty. Good stuff here.

Another cheers. :toast:
dave

Roe

Post by Roe » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:37 am

thanks for the kind words guys
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

SoloDallas

Post by SoloDallas » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:22 am

Dave and Roe,
need to thank you both again. If it wasn't for Roe, I would have never found Mr. Platt's interviews.
And thanks again to you Dave. I think your way is the way to do it: capture it right there, off of the speakers (and room).
Plus I had no idea you knew me :lol:
I'm a sort of "old internet guy" in the sense that, I was there 20 years ago when the net came out, and I was one of the ones saying each time, upon each connection "hi how are you". Like it used to be.
I'm still that way. Internet to me is like reality: I am here who I am in person. I don't believe to other ways of doing it. Therefore, I always give credit where it is due.

On to the next attempt,
Yours,