Current state of the '80's heroes ?

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Current state of the '80's heroes ?

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 am

Is it just me, or are alot of the guy's that were bad assed in the '80's, just not playing very well anymore ?
I'll throw some names out there, Warren DeMartini & Jake E. Lee for ex. I at first was thinking George Lynch was falling into this category,but he is still stretching out some and has retained alot of what made him famous, while continuing to grow, etc.George's playing is sort of 'hit or miss' in that he is a true improviser and depending on his level of inspiration at any given moment, dictates how good or bad he will play/sound.
Warren and Jake, have seemed to degress imo. On 'That Metal Show' both of them had appearences,and the results,imo, were pretty poor :( .I was thinking, "Maybe its the atmosphere there or something", so I start pulling up Youtube stuff. I couldnt believe some of the tones and playing I was hearing :palm: .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Current state of the '80's heroes ?

Post by NY Chief » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Is it just me, or are alot of the guy's that were bad assed in the '80's, just not playing very well anymore ?
I'll throw some names out there, Warren DeMartini & Jake E. Lee for ex. I at first was thinking George Lynch was falling into this category,but he is still stretching out some and has retained alot of what made him famous, while continuing to grow, etc.George's playing is sort of 'hit or miss' in that he is a true improviser and depending on his level of inspiration at any given moment, dictates how good or bad he will play/sound.
Warren and Jake, have seemed to degress imo. On 'That Metal Show' both of them had appearences,and the results,imo, were pretty poor :( .I was thinking, "Maybe its the atmosphere there or something", so I start pulling up Youtube stuff. I couldnt believe some of the tones and playing I was hearing :palm: .

Maybe YOU have just grown and now realize what one trick pony most those guys were!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by AJW » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:24 pm

Maybe our tastes have matured, but I almost posted something on this very subject as well. George Lynch was on there too, and I was not impressed at all. I would have to wonder if it is the environment. I did see some guys on there who played really well, but that is not the norm.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:48 pm

Lynch has always been sort of 'hit or miss' to me. I remember in an old '86 interview George said something like,

"Nowadays you have guy's like Steve Vai, that are SO technically proficient. They can sound and play great no matter whats going on with thier mood or thier equipment.I wish I was more consistant like that.I struggle if the sound isnt happening. I think you find that inconsistancy in other players like say, Jeff Beck. He can sometimes not come off too well, depending on his mood, but at other times be brilliant. Vai has enough technicall skill to be consistant all the time.I'm shooting for that consistancy"

He pretty much stated that. Even today you can hear George come off pretty bad in certain situations, yet in others, your reminded of how bad assed he can be.

I guess I have evolved quite a bit.I have sort of been going through a mid life type thing ( I have had 2 already, and I'm just 42 :what: ). I was ernestly trying to be like a damn 19 year old again,playing (or trying to) all of my fav. '80's style players stuff,as well as digging up old gig and rehearsal stuff trying to write stuff in the vein of what I wrote in my teens/early 20's.

I just am NOT the same anymore, for better or worse :peace: . I think those 'famous' guy's have MUCH more pressure on them concerning how thier style and ability have held up over the yrs.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:31 pm

I think the only guy you honestly say has continued to really evolve is Beck. And that is not saying the rest of the guys are bad as they sure defined a generation in their genre but Beck has been successful in many arena's (so to speak). From blues / psychodelic with the Yardbirds, to the blue print for early metal/ Zeppelin with the first JB group, funk / R&B with JBG ll to power boogie with BBA, to fusion, to whatever the fuk you call what he can do today with rockabillty and Les Paul stops along the way!

I'm hoping to see him with Brian Wilson and some of the original Beach Boys at the Hollywood Bowl in Oct.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 am

It's the fact that they're all human and as such have natural tendencies to be consistently inconsistent. Every great guitar player has their good performances and bad performances. It does seem that the more technically proficient players are more consistent f.e. I've never seen Gary Moore perform live but every recorded performance I ever viewed has Gary playing at the top of his game. So many variables can cause an even great player to sound bad, like when I saw The Fire Meets The Fury Tour with Jeff Beck and SRV alternating on who headlined from one evening to the next. I really came to see Jeff Beck as he was more of my 70's guitar hero growing up. It just so happened that Jeff's new sound for the Guitar Shop album didn't include a bass player. Jeff's sound was too bottom heavy as he had a keyboardist playing left handed (for bass lines) and a drummer with a double bass tom. Combined with Jeff's off the wall licks, it sounded like a major Trainwreck. The only song that Jeff played that I really dug was "Goin' Down" at the end of the concert with SRV as a finale to the show (how memorable that was!).

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:It's the fact that they're all human and as such have natural tendencies to be consistently inconsistent. Every great guitar player has their good performances and bad performances. It does seem that the more technically proficient players are more consistent f.e. I've never seen Gary Moore perform live but every recorded performance I ever viewed has Gary playing at the top of his game. So many variables can cause an even great player to sound bad, like when I saw The Fire Meets The Fury Tour with Jeff Beck and SRV alternating on who headlined from one evening to the next. I really came to see Jeff Beck as he was more of my 70's guitar hero growing up. It just so happened that Jeff's new sound for the Guitar Shop album didn't include a bass player. Jeff's sound was too bottom heavy as he had a keyboardist playing left handed (for bass lines) and a drummer with a double bass tom. Combined with Jeff's off the wall licks, it sounded like a major Trainwreck. The only song that Jeff played that I really dug was "Goin' Down" at the end of the concert with SRV as a finale to the show (how memorable that was!).

Lefty, totally agree with your assessment of Guitar Shop era Beck. (Sill enjoyed the hell out of it though!) And, Going Down WAS sure the highlight. DEAFENING I might add,as well. (3rd row MSG :D )

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

I was at the Dallas show, next tier up from the floor, stage right front or (to my left) and fairly close. I had forgotten the tunes that are on that album and had to refer back to the Guitar Shop album to remember just what was played. The "Live At Ronnie Scott's" performances of Guitar Shop songs where much better performances than The Fire Meets The Fury Tour. Even the Emmotion & Commotion Tour that I caught in Tulsa Ok @ The Old Lady From Brady had better performances of Guitar Shop songs. The common denominator for the Ronnie Scott's performances and the Emotion % Commotion Tour was Jeff's use of Tal Wilkenfeld and Rhonda Smith as bass players which deviated from his original plan when Guitar Shop was made.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:50 pm

Did you see the Rock n Roll tour with Imelda May? Jeff's tribute to Les Paul was phenominal!!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:16 am

NY Chief wrote:Did you see the Rock n Roll tour with Imelda May? Jeff's tribute to Les Paul was phenominal!!
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the Rock & Roll Tour up close and personal, even though I have the vid. I did feel fortunate enough to get comped two free tickets to Jeff's "Emotion and Commotion" Tour when it came through Tulsa, Ok to the "Old Lady From Brady Theater". A now deceased friend of mine (Glenn) happened to know Bruce Bennett who at one time played rhythm guitar for Gary Hoey. Gary Hoey opened the show in Tulsa for Jeff that evening. Glenn and I were very fortunate to have seen Jeff's concert before Glenn passed away.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW9q63t4PXk[/youtube]

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am

Lefty Lou wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Did you see the Rock n Roll tour with Imelda May? Jeff's tribute to Les Paul was phenominal!!
Unfortunately I didn't get to see the Rock & Roll Tour up close and personal, even though I have the vid. I did feel fortunate enough to get comped two free tickets to Jeff's "Emotion and Commotion" Tour when it came through Tulsa, Ok to the "Old Lady From Brady Theater". A now deceased friend of mine (Glenn) happened to know Bruce Bennett who at one time played rhythm guitar for Gary Hoey. Gary Hoey opened the show in Tulsa for Jeff that evening. Glenn and I were very fortunate to have seen Jeff's concert before Glenn passed away.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW9q63t4PXk[/youtube]

Hey, Lou!

I saw the show in Pomona and the local public tv station was running a meet & greet promotion so I got to meet JB after the show. It was a quick handshake but I told Jeff that Les would be proud of how well they pulled of Les' music. Jeff said it was a real labor of love and lot of hard work to get it right.

Gary Hoey ain't o slouch either!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Agreed, Gary Hoey uses alot of scales/modes very well . He knows what he's doing technically, yet everything sounds 'natural' and uncontrived. I loved his 'Animal Instinct' release,Killer mix of Hard Rock/metal,with almost pure Funk tracks,blues tracks and a fairly big Beck flavored track tipping the hat in the direction of 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers' .

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:54 pm

You know if Jeff had these talents all along, I sure didn't know about them until recent years. Around the time of this concert tour, it seems as though I heard that Jeff had inadvertently cut off part of his finger whilst "chopping vegetables" as he's a vegetarian. It's always nice to see your guitar heroes pull out something from their bag of tricks and to be pleasantly surprised. It kind of reminds me of seeing some obscure Gary Moore videos wherein Gary showed off his versatility in jazz guitar, and in classical acoustic techniques.

NY Chief, what's the outcome been for your (lost/stolen) Fender Super Reverb? I was going to post a pic of the back of my Fender 66' BFSR w/Tone Tubby Hempcone Speakers in the " X " Bomb configuration but, if you haven't gotten your Super back yet then I guess it's a moot point.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:You know if Jeff had these talents all along, I sure didn't know about them until recent years. Around the time of this concert tour, it seems as though I heard that Jeff had inadvertently cut off part of his finger whilst "chopping vegetables" as he's a vegetarian. It's always nice to see your guitar heroes pull out something from their bag of tricks and to be pleasantly surprised. It kind of reminds me of seeing some obscure Gary Moore videos wherein Gary showed off his versatility in jazz guitar, and in classical acoustic techniques.

NY Chief, what's the outcome been for your (lost/stolen) Fender Super Reverb? I was going to post a pic of the back of my Fender 66' BFSR w/Tone Tubby Hempcone Speakers in the " X " Bomb configuration but, if you haven't gotten your Super back yet then I guess it's a moot point.
Lefty, listen to JB's back catalog. He's been breaking ground from the get go. See my post above about where he's been. Another guy like that is Rik Emmit ex of Triumph. In the days of the extended guitar solo he would start like a typical Zep Heartbreaker rock thing, then slip quietly in a jazz thing, a flamenco thing and a then into classical. He could paly it all.

Nada on the Super. Thanks for asking. I'm sure some fukker in my own neighborhood has it and ain't talking. :x :evil:
I actually had some email traffic with the Tone Tubby guy, looking for something local that I could hear but nothing nearby. Hoping he might be at the LA Amp show.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:You know if Jeff had these talents all along, I sure didn't know about them until recent years. Around the time of this concert tour, it seems as though I heard that Jeff had inadvertently cut off part of his finger whilst "chopping vegetables" as he's a vegetarian. It's always nice to see your guitar heroes pull out something from their bag of tricks and to be pleasantly surprised. It kind of reminds me of seeing some obscure Gary Moore videos wherein Gary showed off his versatility in jazz guitar, and in classical acoustic techniques.

NY Chief wrote:Lefty, listen to JB's back catalog. He's been breaking ground from the get go. See my post above about where he's been. Another guy like that is Rik Emmit ex of Triumph. In the days of the extended guitar solo he would start like a typical Zep Heartbreaker rock thing, then slip quietly in a jazz thing, a flamenco thing and a then into classical. He could paly it all.

Nada on the Super. Thanks for asking. I'm sure some fukker in my own neighborhood has it and ain't talking. :x :evil:
I actually had some email traffic with the Tone Tubby guy, looking for something local that I could hear but nothing nearby. Hoping he might be at the LA Amp show.
You know about the only (older) albums that I ever gave serious listening to were Wired, Blow By Blow, and There And Back. I didn't even own the "Truth" album although my cousin did. I have seen Rik Emmet live on several occasions with Triumph.

Sorry to hear about your Super buddy, I was seriously hoping that things would turn out good on that end. I had to hear and to play my Alnico 12" Tone Tubby Alnico hempcone speaker in my Fender 66' BFDR for awhile (maybe 15 hrs. of play) until the speaker broke in before I could really appreciate hemp cone speakers. Guys like Los Lonely Boys, Eric Clapton, and Carlos Santana can't all be wrong about using TT speakers. Eric Clapton even gave input to Tone Tubby for the manufacture of an EC specific Tone Tubby speaker which is now available, so Eric must have found some value and worthiness in their product line.