Black Sabbath

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Black Sabbath

Post by NY Chief » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:48 pm

Just heard the Sabs are in town. Ozzy, Iommi and Geezer back together. Might have to re-live adolesence and go see 'em. :rock: Never saw them live in the day.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Black Sabbath

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:04 pm

NY Chief wrote:Never saw them live in the day.
Saw 'em at the Nassau Coliseum WAY back... maybe '74 or so?? I was still in H.S.
No seats on the floor. Just fukkin' drunk/stoned mayhem.

It RULED.

(From what I can remember).
:what:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:07 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Never saw them live in the day.
Saw 'em at the Nassau Coliseum WAY back... maybe '74 or so?? I was still in H.S.
No seats on the floor. Just fukkin' drunk/stoned mayhem.

It RULED.

(From what I can remember).
:what:

Was that the Black n Blue show with BOC, filly?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:08 pm

I believe it was with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Chief. Honestly, I remember that there WAS at least one other band (maybe two) but I dont remember who they were... we only went to see Sabbath.

I DO remember that they were fukkin' LOUD as hell.
:lol:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Only three replies?? You chillren' just don't get it. These guys are the godfathers of the heavy tone you guys worship the dutch boy for.

Sab's were GREAT. Like '75 all over again. Sold out show and evryone on there feet from the first note. It would have been geat if Ward was there but Tommy Clufetos ROCKED!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Did J
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Did J » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:09 pm

SABOTAGE !!!!!

LIke very much this era too with Ronnie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWSLMS_rt5M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:wink:

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Did J wrote:SABOTAGE !!!!!
You've GOT to be KIDDING.
:mrgreen:

I'll GUARANTEE you that between Chiefy and myself, we've seen shows you'd KILL to see... some of the very bands Ed has seen himself, and copped HIS art from.
:scratch:

Did J

Post by Did J » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 am

'Sabotage' album is still one of my favorite since I was teenager 8)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:19 pm

fillmore nyc wrote:[
I'll GUARANTEE you that between Chiefy and myself, we've seen shows you'd KILL to see... some of the very bands Ed has seen himself, and copped HIS art from.
:scratch:

Ummm,.....YUP!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

FL6

Post by FL6 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Anyone scared by Sabbath or other metal bands growing up?

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:21 pm

FL6 wrote:Anyone scared by Sabbath or other metal bands growing up?
I wouldnt call it scared, but there WAS something intimidating about that show, between not having any seats on the floor (which is where I was), the whole dark imagery of the band, and the VOLUME... man, I cant overemphasize how loud and heavy sounding they were.
:rock:

zaphod777

Post by zaphod777 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Tony Iommi created all the good riffs. If you wrote a riff and it's good, then you owe him money. :rock:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GgBx7Y0aso[/youtube]

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 pm

Love Tonys tone.
Every time I hear ''War Pigs'' on the radio, I'm thinking that is the stuff right there. :rocker:
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:33 pm

My first real rock concert was Black Sabbath in 74' or 75'...Long Beach Arena...Ruby Star and the Grey Ghost Band opened up. I've seen them twice with the original members, and once with Dio and Vinny. The volume totally caught me by surprise. Started growing hair in new places...I was hooked... :rock:

Love the new album: "13". Definitely get the deluxe version that has the 2nd CD with 3 more songs. I wish Bill Ward would have been a part of this, but Brad Wilk does an excellent job here.

How perfect was the Gibson SG in the hands of Tony Iommi... 8)
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 am

zaphod777 wrote:Tony Iommi created all the good riffs. If you wrote a riff and it's good, then you owe him money. :rock:
THAT's for sure!!! :worthy:

Some interesting stuff from Master of Realty wiki -

Recording[edit source]

Master of Reality was recorded at Island Studios in London between February and April 1971. The album was produced by Rodger Bain, who had also produced their previous two albums. However, this would be his final collaboration with the band.

On the tracks "Children of the Grave", "Lord of This World", and "Into the Void",[3] guitarist Tony Iommi decided to downtune his guitar three semi-tones in order to produce what he referred to as a "bigger, heavier sound".[3] This also reduced string tension, thus making the guitar less painful for him to play; Iommi had two of his fingers partially severed in a factory accident years earlier.[4] Geezer Butler also downtuned his bass guitar to match Iommi.

Music and lyrics[edit source]

During recording, vocalist Ozzy Osbourne brought Iommi a large joint which caused the guitarist to cough uncontrollably.[3] Iommi was recording acoustic guitar parts at the time, and thus his coughing fit was captured on tape. A fragment of Iommi's recorded coughing was later added by producer Bain as the intro to "Sweet Leaf", a song which was admittedly an ode to marijuana use.[3] Iommi recalls "We all played Sweet Leaf while stoned."[3]

Although the album jacket credits Iommi alone as the composer of "After Forever", Iommi admits that the song's lyrics were in fact composed by Butler.[3][5] Butler was (and remains) Irish Catholic[3] and the song focuses entirely on Christian themes. At the time, Black Sabbath were suspected by some observers of being Satanists due to their dark sound, image, and lyrics.[3] "After Forever" was released as a single along with "Fairies Wear Boots" in 1971.[6][7]

The song "Solitude" showcases guitarist Iommi's multi-instrumental talents, featuring him playing guitar, flute, and piano.[8] A delay effect was later added to Osbourne's vocals on the song as a means of doubling the vocal track.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Reality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"