Rik Emmett of Triumph

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Rik Emmett of Triumph

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Brian Wallace wrote:Zebra and Triumph are both killer bands. I saw Zebra a dozen times easy back in the day and caught Triumph with Frank Marino warming up on the Allied Forces tour.
Frank Marino (was/is) a MONSTER player, little enough is said about Frank these days.

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:
Brian Wallace wrote:Zebra and Triumph are both killer bands. I saw Zebra a dozen times easy back in the day and caught Triumph with Frank Marino warming up on the Allied Forces tour.
Frank Marino (was/is) a MONSTER player, little enough is said about Frank these days.
Countless players who were/are incredible that never get the credit for it...who end up broke and penniless, in fact

...having said that, in terms of an Overall Musician rating, Rik Emmett blows the pants of Eddie Van Halen...Not even close...and I'm an Eddie fan bigtime --- but at the end of the day, Rik writes, composes, plays and sings, all genres...and he does it with elite level talent...

:scratch:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:39 pm

I dissagree about that statement of Emmett 'Blows the pants off' Van Halen. Lets just talk about Emmett here and leave EVH out of it. Wasnt there enough problems with negative comments in his OWN (EVH) section ?
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Sparky4444 wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:
Countless players who were/are incredible that never get the credit for it...who end up broke and penniless, in fact

...having said that, in terms of an Overall Musician rating, Rik Emmett blows the pants of Eddie Van Halen...Not even close...and I'm an Eddie fan bigtime --- but at the end of the day, Rik writes, composes, plays and sings, all genres...and he does it with elite level talent...

:scratch:
Funny, but I haven't seen one thread on the internet regarding Frank Marino ever being broke or penniless.

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:I dissagree about that statement of Emmett 'Blows the pants off' Van Halen. Lets just talk about Emmett here and leave EVH out of it. Wasnt there enough problems with negative comments in his OWN (EVH) section ?
lol..you're sniffin' around this thread??? I may have been bullied over at the EVH section, but here, you can forget it...

...my thread, my artist -- I can say whatever I want here...and on this one, you're going to lose so bad you better think twice about posting here...

...so negative comments?? Really??? Again, you didn't read what I wrote...As an overall musician, how the FUCK can you argue this??? As a rock guitarist, it's Eddie for me, hands down...

As a songwriter -- Eddie DOES NOT WRITE SONGS...he writes riff's and music...Rik Emmett writes the words, music, composes REAL ORIGINAL CLASSICAL PIECES, not tricks..Rik Emmett WRITE's REAL JAZZ ORIGINAL pieces..

As a player, RIK is a REAL CLASSICAL PLAYER, REAL JAZZ PLAYER, REAL DOBRO PLAYER, REAL SLIDE PLAYER.it goes on and on and on...Spanish Fly is A JOKE compared to anything Rik has put on record classical wise

Rik SINGS...Eddie has only been a harmony singer and an average lead singer...Go listen to Time Canon from Thunder Seven and dare to even come here and argue anything

I SAID OVERALL MUSICIAN..ENOUGH CAPS FOR YOU BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T READ...

Bring it :popcorn:

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Lefty Lou wrote: Funny, but I haven't seen one thread on the internet regarding Frank Marino ever being broke or penniless.
Don't have a clue who Frank Marino is...wasn't talking about him...was referring in general to talented players who don't have a name and never got the credit

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Sparky4444 wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote: Funny, but I haven't seen one thread on the internet regarding Frank Marino ever being broke or penniless.
Don't have a clue who Frank Marino is...wasn't talking about him...was referring in general to talented players who don't have a name and never got the credit

Brian Wallace mentioned him here in this thread, and JFWIW I was referring in general to a talented player who has a name, is not broke or penniless, and gets the credit although not much is said about him anymore. Supposedly innocuous threads like this one turns into WWIII all because people get into dick measuring contests over their favorite artists. I've got a better idea, list ALL the pros and cons of each artist and then have a poll. That wouldn't make any sense either, but at least there'd be some sort of thought process that would be required to organize the "dick" measurement contest.

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am

Lefty Lou wrote:
Sparky4444 wrote:

Brian Wallace mentioned him here in this thread, and JFWIW I was referring in general to a talented player who has a name, is not broke or penniless, and gets the credit although not much is said about him anymore. Supposedly innocuous threads like this one turns into WWIII all because people get into dick measuring contests over their favorite artists. I've got a better idea, list ALL the pros and cons of each artist and then have a poll. That wouldn't make any sense either, but at least there'd be some sort of thought process that would be required to organize the "dick" measurement contest.
No dick measuring going on here...Can't you read either??? Rik, EVH and Trevor Rabin were my big 3 influences as a kid...This is a Rik thread, and I'm saying that Rik is a better overall musician than EVH, hands down, no arguments -- if you think the opposite, then put down your guitar and go take up needlepoint cuz you don't have a clue...

...Is Rik a better overall musician than Trevor Rabin, then there is a debate there

..Is Rik a better rock musician than EVH, in my eyes hands-down NO...

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 am

Sparky4444 wrote:
Tone Slinger wrote:I dissagree about that statement of Emmett 'Blows the pants off' Van Halen. Lets just talk about Emmett here and leave EVH out of it. Wasnt there enough problems with negative comments in his OWN (EVH) section ?
lol..you're sniffin' around this thread??? I may have been bullied over at the EVH section, but here, you can forget it...

...my thread, my artist -- I can say whatever I want here...and on this one, you're going to lose so bad you better think twice about posting here...

...so negative comments?? Really??? Again, you didn't read what I wrote...As an overall musician, how the FUCK can you argue this??? As a rock guitarist, it's Eddie for me, hands down...

As a songwriter -- Eddie DOES NOT WRITE SONGS...he writes riff's and music...Rik Emmett writes the words, music, composes REAL ORIGINAL CLASSICAL PIECES, not tricks..Rik Emmett WRITE's REAL JAZZ ORIGINAL pieces..

As a player, RIK is a REAL CLASSICAL PLAYER, REAL JAZZ PLAYER, REAL DOBRO PLAYER, REAL SLIDE PLAYER.it goes on and on and on...Spanish Fly is A JOKE compared to anything Rik has put on record classical wise

Rik SINGS...Eddie has only been a harmony singer and an average lead singer...Go listen to Time Canon from Thunder Seven and dare to even come here and argue anything

I SAID OVERALL MUSICIAN..ENOUGH CAPS FOR YOU BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T READ...

Anybody with a truly open mind would have to agree IF they were familiar with Emmett's playing. First time I saw Rik run the gamut of rock - classical - jazz - flamenco - etc all authentically done in one solo I was blown away. Rik could work in any any of those genre's and not be considered a poser. EVH could not. That's fact. One guy who may have come close in his day was Rick Derringer. Not many know that he was very versatile, as well. I had the good fortune of having some luthier work done when he and Johnny Winter came in the shop. Rick picked up a jazz box and played some of the sweetest jazz and classical I ever heard, on par with Emmett. Setzer MAY be close to Emmet't's "overall" rating. And Townsend as a songwriter / singer / player but he obviously doesn't have Emmett's chops.

I don't have a problem with saying Emmett overall stands above even my diehard favorites (Beck, Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Moore, Blackmore and on and on...
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:49 pm

If I'd have known you were going to turn this thread into a "dick measuring" contest then I'd have steered clear as I'm sure many others will. There's absolutely NO NEED for artist comparisons especially for a thread that discusses ONE particular artist as it's absolute BULLSHIT and who's only purpose is to stir the SHIT. Call this thread what it really is "SHIT STIRRER". What a maroon.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:20 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Sparky4444 wrote:

Anybody with a truly open mind would have to agree IF they were familiar with Emmett's playing. First time I saw Rik run the gamut of rock - classical - jazz - flamenco - etc all authentically done in one solo I was blown away. Rik could work in any any of those genre's and not be considered a poser. EVH could not. That's fact. One guy who may have come close in his day was Rick Derringer. Not many know that he was very versatile, as well. I had the good fortune of having some luthier work done when he and Johnny Winter came in the shop. Rick picked up a jazz box and played some of the sweetest jazz and classical I ever heard, on par with Emmett. Setzer MAY be close to Emmet't's "overall" rating. And Townsend as a songwriter / singer / player but he obviously doesn't have Emmett's chops.

I don't have a problem with saying Emmett overall stands above even my diehard favorites (Beck, Page, Clapton, Hendrix, Moore, Blackmore and on and on...

I am not sure why the discussion always disintegrates into who is better or worse than someone else and it always turns toward Ed.

Whenever a statement "blows the pants off" is stated, there will be push back and there won't be any winner irrespective of how many "facts" are given.

"my thread, my artist" seriously???
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:48 pm

I think it would have been fair to put the words "In My Opinion" (imo) before exclaiming something as fact. I noticed that Lucky Lou had posted here, and I like his posts, so I checked it out. I was curious to what would be said in regards to Marino. I posted simply because I felt it unfair to any artist to have thier abilities, good or bad, stated as fact by someone. Thats like a Rolling Stone writer or something. Simply use the, 'IMO' and no harm no foul. God simply doesnt post here, ya now.

I didnt post here prior to that 'cause I'm not a Emmett/Triumph fan. Certainly didnt expect all the torching :shock:
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:What a maroon.
Can't read, can't spell... :palm:

I was talking about Rik the whole thread...I didn't start talking about any other artists on this thread..but when other artists entered it, I threw in my two cents because I know the freak-nuts are lurking everywhere...and truth to be told, the lambasting from the knuckle-draggers I took on the EVH thread still isn't sitting well with me, so blow me...

...AND...Rik and Eddie were part of my big 3 growing up so I WANTED to express my feelings about both of them and the different impacts each had on my playing...

...Toneslinger gave me an order to keep EVH out of this thread -- fuck him --- I started the thread, and I can goddamn well say anything I want about it ... having said that, Toneslinger is an alright guy, IMHO, for the most part..maybe he SHOULD listen to more Rik Emmett and maybe he'd learn something...

But it is FACT, not opinion -- Eddie isn't nearly as diverse an artist as Rik is...if you think he is you're a fucking moron...and I DID say that Eddie is a better rock musician than Rik, IMO..

This forum is full of complete dipshits

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Sparky4444 wrote:
there you go with facts, not opinions again. We are complete, half wits.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:17 pm

rgorke wrote:
Sparky4444 wrote:
there you go with facts, not opinions again. We are complete, half wits.
What a fucking joke...All I did was express my opinion on my EVH thread and BOY did shit hit the fan...

Dipshits?? Thanx for proving my point...actually, check that -- IGNORANT dipshits...