Gone but never forgotten

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Gone but never forgotten

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:09 am

I was looking at this pic of Duane Allman and I started to think about "those whom have gone before":

Some guitar players I reflected back to (in no particular order),

Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Gary Moore, George Harrison, John Lennon, Brian Jones, Paul Butterfield, Duane Allman, Randy California, Steve Gaines, Allen Collins, Hughie Thomasson, Billy Jones, Paul Kossof, Albert Lee, Jimmy McCullogh (Wings), Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Hank Garland, Django, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, Rod "The Bottle" Price, "Lonesome" Dave Peverett, Tommy Bolin, Randy Rhoads, Jeff Healey and last but not least a friend and old guitar instructor of mine Gary "Speedy" West Jr.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDidVXGzUM[/youtube]

Who were your favorite guitar players of "those whom have gone before"?
Last edited by Lefty Lou on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Gone but never forgotten

Post by NY Chief » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 am

Rory Gallagher!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Randy Rhoads
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

syscokid
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by syscokid » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Roy Buchanan...

"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Keep em' coming!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:Image
Not to get too off topic...but DAMN! Bonnie Bramlett was a sexy bitch back in the day! Thigh high snakeskin boots, hot pants and that tight shirt with firm titties and not a brassiere to be found. Nice!

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 am

garbeaj wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:Image
Not to get too off topic...but DAMN! Bonnie Bramlett was a sexy bitch back in the day! Thigh high snakeskin boots, hot pants and that tight shirt with firm titties and not a brassiere to be found. Nice!
Hadn't noticed, but now that you mention it.... :wink: :drool:

Yeah, syco, Roy was killer. Seamed like a mean fuk too, he prowlled the stage like he was gonna bite yer head off. Met him a after a gig once, offered us a hit off his bottle of Jack (IIRC)

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:48 am

NY Chief wrote:Yeah, syco, Roy was killer. Seamed like a mean fuk too, he prowlled the stage like he was gonna bite yer head off. Met him a after a gig once, offered us a hit off his bottle of Jack (IIRC)
I noticed that you gave prompts to Mr Rory Gallagher, who was one of my favorites, too. In the late 70's I was very fortunate to see a concert at the L.A.'s Wiltern Theatre featuring Rory Gallagher, with Roy Buchanan as the opening act. The whole show was about 5 hours long. I remember being very mentally and physically exhausted after this experience. I miss them both.
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:35 pm

syscokid wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Yeah, syco, Roy was killer. Seamed like a mean fuk too, he prowlled the stage like he was gonna bite yer head off. Met him a after a gig once, offered us a hit off his bottle of Jack (IIRC)
I noticed that you gave prompts to Mr Rory Gallagher, who was one of my favorites, too. In the late 70's I was very fortunate to see a concert at the L.A.'s Wiltern Theatre featuring Rory Gallagher, with Roy Buchanan as the opening act. The whole show was about 5 hours long. I remember being very mentally and physically exhausted after this experience. I miss them both.
My very first concert was the ZZ Top Worldwide Texas Tour on 11/2/76 in Okc., Ok. in support of ZZ Top's Fandango! album with Rory Gallagher as special guest. I was about to turn 17 and had never heard of Rory Gallagher. I took lots of pictures (mostly of Rory) because I had never seen rock and roll so up close and personal until then so I was very excited. I'm still trying to find those rare pics (if I ever do). Billy used Pearly Gates for the whole performance, ZZ Top had a very different look then, western sequined suits, and stetson hats. Pauls to the wall (of Marshall amps that is).

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:07 am

Rory gave his all EVRYTIME out. Three times for me and never disappointed once.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:53 pm

syscokid wrote:Roy Buchanan...

"Probably the reason I never made it big is because I never cared whether I made it big or not. All I wanted to do was learn to play the guitar for myself... You set your own goals for success. And when you succeed, it don't necessarily mean that you will be a big star, make a lot of money, or anything. You'll feel it in your heart, whether you've succeeded or not."
Roy Buchanan

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:03 am

NY Chief wrote:Rory gave his all EVRYTIME out. Three times for me and never disappointed once.
I believe it was Donal, Rory's brother who stated that Rory was hard on himself about his own performances (i.e. a perfectionist) and after his performances he was like a lost soul because performing in front of people was what he lived for. When the lights went down and all the people had left, he felt truly alone and lost. Very sad about that part of his life, that he had so much to give, and another aspect of his life suffered as a direct result of his life in the lime light.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Rory gave his all EVRYTIME out. Three times for me and never disappointed once.
I believe it was Donal, Rory's brother who stated that Rory was hard on himself about his own performances (i.e. a perfectionist) and after his performances he was like a lost soul because performing in front of people was what he lived for. When the lights went down and all the people had left, he felt truly alone and lost. Very sad about that part of his life, that he had so much to give, and another aspect of his life suffered as a direct result of his life in the lime light.
Lefty read Gerry MCavoys book about playing with Rory. Good insight into Rory's fragile psyche yet hardass Irish blood!

http://www.ridingshotgun.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and DVD's http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... go0z55rd_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Appreciate it chief, I'll look into the book thanks. Chief from your last comment, I take it that you're Irish.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:Appreciate it chief, I'll look into the book thanks. Chief from your last comment, I take it that you're Irish.

Worse!! Two grandparents Sicilian, one Neopalitan and one Irish! Talk about a hard head!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"