Warren DeMartini

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Warren DeMartini

Post by jnew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 am

Love his playing and building a Soloist type guitar. I know he played JB's for many years but I think now he has his own signaure model Duncan. Any info on his amps would be cool stuff though I think he used a lot of different amps.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JimiJames

Re: Warren DeMartini

Post by JimiJames » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:30 am

jnew wrote:"...Any info on his amps would be cool stuff though I think he used a lot of different amps..."
From a previous thread:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 83#p411604" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:55 am

Aah. I remember that one now but it looks like that thread sort of died. Doesn't look like any clips ever got posted. :(

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:11 pm

out of the cellar is the laney aor which is a sweet head, i have the 50w with 6 knobs. killer unique sound.
the next couple albums through danincg, are vintage marshall all the way. You'll likely never track down this sound since it's a combination of just the right '68Sl through just the right old prerola cab. But good luck.
then of course it's soldano preamp gain with less character and power amp grind.

As for pups, I'd get an original Jb, one of the earlier ones with the winder's signature. They are cheap on ebay.

plexified

Post by plexified » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:35 am

Jdub. Out to you bro.... Warrens plexi was used as THE prototype for the reissue super lead plexi Marshall bro . It was so good that George Lynch use to borrow it as often as possible . George use to plot and scheme how to get it , he actually thought of buying one similar and swapping head boxes on Warren ,even thought of just stealing it break and entry style No joke , he was under the spell for sure. I heard rumors it was Warrens head on breaking the chains too. Whatever , I have never heard a better tone sinnce George live warm up sound check in Radio city mucic hall NYC before the under lock and key tour wit twisted sista . Saw Warren outdoors at Jones beach NYC and his solo took the house down with that damn Marshall . Outdoors on the water near naval ships and girls for miles . George had a Caswell modded Marshall he rented for the tour . Shit , that poor guy had tough luck sounding amazing through everyone else's rig . I have to say George is one of the best , except he gets too amped up and gets too hyper . His note selection when you get down to it is scary sometimes . He needs to hang with Gilmore for a pint and just slow down. I heard recently he blew up Aspen Pitmans beloved Purple Marshall , he he , that was just a matter of time . Talk about a slave to the grind , what a shit life and your purple you find out before you burn down , what is this slave of thrones? I'm sorry jus having fun

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Sheeyit pfied I was at that Radio City show! If you were there the first night, me and my bud were the guys in the first row of the balcony who Dee Snider got mad at because we just sat there. We went to see George and he killed it. TS seemed kind of cartoonish compared to Dokken, though lot of posing by Dokken dudes.

To the op re: Warren, check out the articles here:

http://www.woodytone.com/category/warren-demartini/
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

plexified

Post by plexified » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:39 am

Yeah baby . Tone fest by George. Cawell Marshall on rent . born...The acoustics in that place are epic. But it was undeniable how special those tones were. So cool you , an epic pro heard it too ! Rare indeed . How rare ? That night I delivered the skull n roses Kramer with Bill from Kramer ! George had the silver hair too. Mr. Scary was born that night! George was so amped he started carving names into the gtr ! Bill , me , Dee and the Twisted got it started ! That's Mr. Scary bro ! Day one . Pretty Woodie . You saw it AMEN! Amazing stuff , David

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Hahaha awesome!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

plexified

Post by plexified » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Woodie , The Caswell Marshall Mod laden amp top was supposedly rented until the point of the owner being thrown mega bucks by who else ? The manager from Guns and Roses . The guy was picking up Slash off the floor , yet threw down major dollars for this particular amp . And the rest is history . So funny how such a great amp can sound so different . I really believe that the tone George had out of that amp in Radio City Music Hall was one of the greatest sounds I have ever heard . Now that stands as fact , I can comment on the life experience I had . When I plugged in my Marshalls into a half stack with period correct cabinets from the 67 - 70 zone I was shocked . I had an experience where I was going to market one day . Here I felt overcome by the Thrill is Gone by the one and only BB King . I stopped in my traxx and fired up the gtr . I plugged in and it was so loud , it had the cab and amp dancing on the floor . Really just moving . I played the thrill and got lost in a Gary Moore style solo and I have to say ..... The connection was one that my head was resonating it was so loud , however , it was so pleasing I was connected by way of my central nervous system . It was exponentially better than sex and that is craxy to even admit . It was so . I watched the amp dance on the floor , felt my skull resonate and embraced the greatest tone and experience a human can have . It was beyond what you would expect to strive to achieve . I have played for a very long time and I can play anything anyone has ever played , but , BUT , when you create the source and are in tune with the creation , time stops , your heart stops , the earth stops , you bloom like a child into an amplified source . So , so , so freaking amazing . Its happened to me only maybe seven times . Each is just a huge mark on life and a priceless gift .

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:16 am

plexified wrote:Woodie , The Caswell Marshall Mod laden amp top was supposedly rented until the point of the owner being thrown mega bucks by who else ? The manager from Guns and Roses . The guy was picking up Slash off the floor , yet threw down major dollars for this particular amp . And the rest is history . So funny how such a great amp can sound so different . I really believe that the tone George had out of that amp in Radio City Music Hall was one of the greatest sounds I have ever heard . Now that stands as fact , I can comment on the life experience I had . When I plugged in my Marshalls into a half stack with period correct cabinets from the 67 - 70 zone I was shocked . I had an experience where I was going to market one day . Here I felt overcome by the Thrill is Gone by the one and only BB King . I stopped in my traxx and fired up the gtr . I plugged in and it was so loud , it had the cab and amp dancing on the floor . Really just moving . I played the thrill and got lost in a Gary Moore style solo and I have to say ..... The connection was one that my head was resonating it was so loud , however , it was so pleasing I was connected by way of my central nervous system . It was exponentially better than sex and that is craxy to even admit . It was so . I watched the amp dance on the floor , felt my skull resonate and embraced the greatest tone and experience a human can have . It was beyond what you would expect to strive to achieve . I have played for a very long time and I can play anything anyone has ever played , but , BUT , when you create the source and are in tune with the creation , time stops , your heart stops , the earth stops , you bloom like a child into an amplified source . So , so , so freaking amazing . Its happened to me only maybe seven times . Each is just a huge mark on life and a priceless gift .
So what half stack setup do you now use for that experience? Very curious where you landed with gear after that discovery. 8)

plexified

Post by plexified » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Dude , I thought you would nnnnnevvvvverrrrrr get to this thread . I responded just because it was you bubba . So yeah that was an amazing tone that is burned on my brain . Especially how loud and how cool . What amp ? what else Superlead number 120xx. I put the x in their in case my shit is stolen . :peace: I have a 1960a loaded with 67 G12M25's and BOOM . its a game over thing . I goose it with a Ts808 or a ts-9 or a ts-5 or a DOD bi fet pre amp , but straight gets the goods . Its a stock circuit . The X formers are the key bro . Look very very closely at the power xformer . The output is just as important but the power x is basically under rated amp wise and sags . The sag is the elusive element in the EVH tone . Its even rare to find one without a blown Power xformer . You have to run it with a variac . Reason is it is built for 110 . Today we have 118-130 on the land lines daily and that alone will fry it . I keep the back off , run 6Ca7 and 12 gauge speaker wire and my own internal high gauge speaker wire trip . It just slays . I also run a Trainwreck Climax combo with weber 2-10 or the 4x12 . The secret sauce is my Ampeg V-4 loaded with the same speakers and it just smokes . I also use the Ampeg V4 head . Its gorgeous tonewise . Distortion sucks so I use a Zoom G9 2.tt modeler . The Zoom is so bad ass I would sell my plexi . Its THAT GOOD . I posted about it before . But people never listen to me no matter what . So its like :roll: . I like a Duncan custom for old stuff and a Duncan custom custom for the new amps . I think the JB is really THE reference point . Its all you after that point . I like nickel wound strings that are burnished or slightly rolled . They have a warmer bottom and less fret wear and finger noise . I also build my own stuff and do the VAI swirl with paint which is insane stuff . I have a gtr design I want to offer soon , but that's a big project , but the shapes are so off the charts , To me it is the absolute best . So there you go .

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:43 pm

That's a wonderful sounding setup. Is that also the tone we hear on the song "She Don't Know". That tone is F#$%ING killer. And the solo? WTF? What galaxy did you visit to bring that? I wouldn't even know where to begin trying that one. That's what I call cutting time right there. :lol: Although that tone is produced a little differently, I hear it plain as day. Sounds like a 20 millisecond ish, chaser. Maybe a few cents or so. Can't put my finger on it but behind it all, it's a thrilling tone.

More about transformers. I'm not very knowledgeable about them but what I've gathered is that a big part of the reason the old Marshall's sounded the way they did is because they were basically under wound and not up for the task, so to speak. So when they were turned up, they were basically failing and would saturate. (Failure never sounded to damn good, right? :lol:) Particularly the smaller 1.5" of the day. I don't know how the Power transformers fit in to all of this but can only assume that they supplied perhaps mediocre voltages in a less steady, or consistent way, which may stand to reason for the sag magic that we talk about. So when I went about re-doing the JTM-45 RI that I had, into the amp I have now, I left the stock Power Transformer, (thinking is was smaller/weaker than a quality aftermarket) and changed the OPT Trans to a really small Mercury Mag's, Radio Spares clone type, designed for a 30 watt type JTM-45. I still don't know if this was the right line of thinking but saturation? Fuggetaboutit. It's nuts. :lol:

plexified

Post by plexified » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Dude , If you follow my threads over the years , I pretty much put everything out in the open and I about collapse thinking that nobody had picked up on what I was trying to say . I will give it to you . And Shannon VH5150 too cause you guys are cool and maybe RGalpin and Our buddy Ralle . Gents the Power transformer is physically small . The output is Physically small . Compared in the past to the large examples like the 69 ot and the 66pt . Those transformers handle the task . Think about a solid state set up and it handling the task . It sounds stiff , yet probably linear . The tweak is the small iron is on the verge of meltdown . Look at the pattern of a magnetic response of the unit . It shows how it irradiates . We are talking physics . Both from the tubes and the magnetic . Its a 3-d platform . Got it ? Look closely at how the transformer irradiates magnetics onto the power caps underneath in a 12 series . It is crazy . So you have the power rail completely influenced by irradiation . Real time . Each finger movement . Its insane ALONE . Now we get to the tubes . GEEZ , these things are just slaves , but they try to mimic the input regarding their role . In doing so they are in close proximity of the transformer and get irradiated ! . The covers are their for a reason . EVH took em off because he liked the texture of them off . See ? or HEAR? ITs subtle stuff , but it stacks up . The Bedrock amp co . made an amp with super thick primary winds on their power trans . It made the amp super responsive and sterile . It was an example in the Marshall Story Book . They put the goods on the table . But to this day nobody got it . I type this shit and I know I am giving Friedman the keys to tone . It pisses me off . But , I sustain and do it for you dude . Your a smart kid and know where I am going here . The UL laboratories stopped the progress of the sound because that bitch could just catch fire ! Get it ? To Daves credit he already knows this stuff . The power transformer is just as import ant as the output . Boom . There you go . PM me and I will expand further .

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Great stuff David. I'm with you on this now and paying more attention. In fact, I just may rebuild my home brew 100 watt to truly replicate a 68 from the day. It is spec now in terms of values, CC resistors, etc. but physical location of stuff is a little different because I did it in a small box chassis. Marshall never did a small box 100 watt and I thought it'd be cool. And it is but since I've got this far to build it, Maybe I'll just do it 100% authentic. Caps on board underneath, etc. I hardly ever play the thing because that JTM-45 rebuild I did just sounds so good to me. I do remember some of your posts about some of this stuff but never really thought about it, or should I say, realized the impacts. I briefly remember some talk about the Pwr Trans being rotated 90 degrees for effect as well.

So I guess I wasn't too far off in my line of thinking about the smaller transf's after all. :lol: I'll be hitting you up for sure when I do this. 8)

rockdude1

Post by rockdude1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi :). I personally know Frank Levi whom worked with Warren for many years. I have a list of all Warren's amps he used. I saw a while ago someone bought a 1976 slp warren used in 87. Something not well known is Doug Aldrich owned an 81 slp Warren owned prior modded by Frank. Frank told me that Warren had a Jose modded Marshall he had to fix sometimes. And he did use an SLo but I believe that was later on towards the 90's. Few years ago I saw he was using a Slo, and I believe a Mark Cameron modded Marshall. Now it's said that he used Laneys too. He may have, but I can tell you first hand Warren had Marshalls under the stage due to the fact he had an endorsement deal with Laney, that is from the tech whom worked on his amps. I have a detailed list of the amps Warren used given to me by Frank. If your interested I'll ask if I can post it. I won't post anything without Frank's permission. Warren used some vintage stock Marshalls too such as the 71 Purple Slp George Lynch also used. I'd personally love to make a clone of the 71.