The EVH bashing thread

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Re: The EVH bashing thread

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:45 pm

I think that Ed & Alex could definately pull out some interesting music (Alex has been doing the 'Latin' type solo the last few yrs). Maybe Wolf could pull it off with them, but from what I can tell, he lacks the swing of his elder relatives. Micheal Anthony can swing and he and Alex were great togather. Still, with the HORRIBLE tone Ed has been getting, no matter what he plays seems to be dragged down. Hopefully his 'new' amp will give him some decent tone/s again. Its funny, but I've heard OTHER people get great tone out of the Fender/EVH amps (like donnyboiler :thumbsup: ).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 pm

You're prob right, TS but that was my point about Derringer. Who knew/knows he can play the shit out of an old jazz box? You never know what else someone can pull off. Hey, maybe Wolfie would be the guy to take Ed and Al in a new direction??? (but I do kinda doubt it...
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Yep, looking at it from that angle I agree, The Wolfman might be bad assed with Mahavishnu type odd meter and Rushesque type sections( straight play, BUT, with odd meter,etc). Its just that in my mind, regardless of the direction, Ed just HAS to 'SOUND' like he did back in the day. Like 'if' Beck would simply TAKE HIS HAND OFF THE FRICKEN TREMOLO BAR for a few seconds, he actually has the same great tone/sound as he had in '77. Eddie MOST DEFINATELY doesnt have anything remotely similar to his classic tone.

I heard someone say something similar to this on another forum, and that is "I just dont want to think of Eddie Van Halen as EVER having a sound thats different than the first two records" or something to that effect.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Yeah, JB does tend to overdo it with the trem but that is extension of his hand now. He'll never go back. One thing he does that does makes me cringe is his one fret tapping thing. That seems so cheap compared the command of his other techniques.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

darkbluemurder
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by darkbluemurder » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:12 am

Loved the first three albums. Didn't like Fair Warning first but that grew on me in a big way. Never cared for Diver Down. Really liked everything from then on up to and including Balance - some more, some less but I find tracks I like on every album.

The only album I really disliked was VH III. No idea what they were thinkin' there. Songwriting is non-existent - at least I have heard nothing memorable (come to think of it - if you ask me now I could not quote a single title from that album). Gary Cherone sounds as if he suffered from a severe cold at the time of recording - a far cry from his vocals for Extreme. Finally, the guitar playing also seems rather lame and uninspired compared to the earlier recordings. Only the guitar tone became a bit rawer than the tone on the three preceding albums with SH.

I have not listened to the most recent recordings but they cannot be much worse than VH III IMHO.

bdc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bdc » Sun May 22, 2016 6:08 pm

I'd agree Roth has always been a pretty bad live singer.........He should get a coach......
I'm done with 100$ concerts anyway........

jack1999
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jack1999 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:59 pm

Hi, if you haven't found the answer yet, I think you can go to our website https://www.heisener.com/ to make a consultation, there are professional customer service to help you solve any problem you have.