Almost there

Detailed assembly steps separated into threads.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

myfoot

Almost there

Post by myfoot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:39 am

Quick question ; can't tell if anyone ( other than Will ) used a bright cap on volume 1 and what the consensus is on the value. Finally got some pics taken but I had to use the daughter's camera and that didn't have a usb conection. Her's has to connect to a docking station to upload the pictures and I have to wait for here to email them back to me.

Flames1950

Re: Almost there

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:47 am

I've used both a 500pF and a 100pF, but on different amps (and my JTM100 PA has no cap of course.)

The 500pF can sound a little bright to me at lower volume settings where it's more effective, but I can dial it out with the tone controls. The 100pF can be a little easier to handle at those same settings. Either can get those "Fender Deluxe on mega-steroids" sound for some killer blues (sometimes the amp has to break in a little to sound really good at those lower volume settings though.)

I guess I'd go straight to the 100pF in the end......... :)

myfoot

Post by myfoot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:13 am

I've got a 47pf lemco dogbone that I've got from Sparky. Not enough of should I look for a NOS 100?

EDIT: Left off for now but threw power on and heaters lit up :D Flicked on Standby and nothing sparked smoked or anything (so far) BUT can't stay home today when there is so much beer to drink and I haven't taken any voltage readings yet.

Looks like tomorrow should do it if all goes well.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:03 pm

You can try the 47pF -- many tweed Fenders used 47pF on their bright channel. I'd leave enough lead length that you can use it again on the phase inverter outputs on another amp if you don't like it as a bright cap though. :wink:

myfoot

Post by myfoot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:16 pm

:D I've got a JTM50 kit sitting downstairs when I get this one done. Actually I'm waiting on the wife to take off (designated driver ) so I checked my voltages. Everything checks in range except I'll have to change my bias resistor. I'm getting about -70 instead of -50 . I don't remember offhand... do I go up or down? I've got a few more AB ccs here but don't know what I have offhand.

Kind of hate to see this one come to an end...it's only been 7 months or so but I kept picking up parts here and there as I could afford them.

EDIT : Should I change the 150k in series with the diode or the resistor that's attached to the pot? Both ?
Thanks!

myfoot

Post by myfoot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:44 am

While I"m waiting for an answer to the above question I thought I'd post a few pics. First one shows where I grounded the main line at. I added a lug under the fuse. Read in one of the pdfs that it should be grounded by itself and I didn't want to drill another hole.

Next is the cap board.

Finally a shot of the whole thing

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:13 pm

looks absolutely great. do you have source for the lemcos? :wink:
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

myfoot

Post by myfoot » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Roe wrote:looks absolutely great. do you have source for the lemcos? :wink:
Sparky :wink: