JTM 45/100 - Build story

Detailed assembly steps separated into threads.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VintageCharlie
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: JTM 45/100 - Build story

Post by VintageCharlie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Let me be the first to congratulate you with what really could be called an achievement! :champ: The tone is pretty much dead on to my ear and maybe the guessing and rumors are right in that Jimi might have hauled out his old 45/100's for the Fillmore concert to record the BOG album.
Last edited by VintageCharlie on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:55 pm

thank you ! i'm glad you've been the first one to hear this clip too. 2012 authentics 45/100 run ! you'll certainly get your tones out of yours ! We know what we're talking about now, after all these crazy analysis together ha ha !
Loooooooong road ! Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong !
(to the top, if you wanna Machine Guuuun :jimi: :wink: )

young flower
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by young flower » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:27 am

AMAZING build - LEGENDARY tone.

I was really amazed with the sound clips and would have liked to listen to the last sound clip you posted:
my bog tone now :drool:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/WUJZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... d2RqQTlVag
Unfortunately the link is broken. Could you maybe reupload that? I´m a huge Hendrix and BOG fan and would really like to hear it.

Thanks
YF

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:25 am

Oh thanks, i appreciate :D
this "bog" tone sounds quite plastic anyway because no speaker was used, only virtual stuffs after the real amp but still ... it gives an idea, and i wish i had played better than this but here it is :

http://soundcloud.com/xplorer80/machine-gun-tone-45-100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and with a g12h30 75hz pre rola, but heavily attenuated ( neighbours, midnight .. ) recorded in my room with great ribbon mics advised to me by vintage charlie, ( thanks so much again ! ) . but i didn't position them right, it was my first test. Very natural anyway ( you can hear noises, my laptop running etc ... ha ha )

http://soundcloud.com/xplorer80/130206- ... first-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

young flower

Post by young flower » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 am

The amp sounds fantastic - with a real cab or without. Extremely nice clean sound. I´m interested though - how are you recording the amp without cab? Are you running the effects loop out (if there is one) into some kind of sound card or mixer and then recording with Audacity?
I wonder how great that amp sounds at higher volume if it already sounds that good attenuated to a point where you can hear the PC over it (!).
And one more thing - what do you usually use to figure out Hendrix or BOG songs? Do you do it from hearing? Do you slow down the songs to learn them? I was predominantly using Youtube lessons up to now but there´s so many good stuff I want to learn and sometimes it takes me FOREVER to figure it out myself. Maybe you have some advice for that.

YF

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 am

oh well, the half "virtual" way is a transducer feeding the soundcard, cubase, some Impulse response speaker sim, then into altiverb.

Bog .... i didn't figure out so much if you listen to what i did, i'd say it takes time and time and time, and especialy hear it, play along, get used to his tricks ( that he improvised ... wow ... ) . This is the way Randy hansen might have worked i guess.
i don't slow things down, someday you figure some new things you didn't notice. but this is for a reproduction matter, not creation, still interesting for new tricks and ways to see things, in creations for sure.
you have to do your own lessons with it, for years and years on just machine gun.
i'm not sure i want to learn it entirely. But taking forever to learn things is normal sometimes, that's part of why it has a "value" :toast: you have to be patient.
one spanish proverb says that it takes 10 years per string to learn the guitar ha ha

yes, i'm quite satisfied with this attenuator, as you said it doesn't sound bad, even at a level that can even let me hear my laptop running ! ha ha.

young flower

Post by young flower » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 am

oh well, the half "virtual" way is a transducer feeding the soundcard, cubase, some Impulse response speaker sim, then into altiverb.
transducer -hmm. Have to look into that. The impulse response speaker sim is software also, right?
Bog .... i didn't figure out so much if you listen to what i did, i'd say it takes time and time and time, and especialy hear it, play along, get used to his tricks ( that he improvised ... wow ... ) . This is the way Randy hansen might have worked i guess.
I know I´m going way off topic here but the thread is old anyway - so why not:
Of course you didn´t play the whole machine gun - but you got some parts down quite good in my opinion :). I figured out half of "Trash Man" in about 2 to 3 days with the help of a youtube vid but then got stuck and haven´t continued since. Takes a lot more time to perfect it of course. I should definitely learn how to thoroughly write music and start to train my hearing - would probably make things a lot easier than memorizing everything.
I guess the way Randy Hansen learned Hendrix is the same way Hendrix figured out and altered songs from Muddy Waters and other old blues greats: by playing the record and trying to recreate what you hear, spending a LONG time doing that and being gifted on top.
It will never cease to amaze me to see old footage from Hendrix´live concerts where he counts the frets with his index finger to determine where to start. Then stopping, saying "oh - wrong count", counting again and then suddenly playing as if god himself reached down and touched him...
BTW: this guy does the best Hendrix covers I´ve seen so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHb5y-Gk6jQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Nop Mendoza" is not his user name - it´s "retrolee09" - check him out, will blow your mind.
one spanish proverb says that it takes 10 years per string to learn the guitar ha ha
The Spanish know what they´re talking about! It took me a long time to realise how important hand positioning and picking technique really are - one needs experience to understand that and lots of practising.
yes, i'm quite satisfied with this attenuator, as you said it doesn't sound bad, even at a level that can even let me hear my laptop running ! ha ha.
I have no experience with attenuators actually but I´d say yours is a good one and you should hold on to it. At least it sounds good to my ears - which one is it btw? I have nearly all the parts for a 69 Superlead build stored in my wardrobe :mrgreen: . Chassis is the last thing missing and maybe I´ll try an attenuator with this one.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:44 pm

oh yes, nice, although the original track is too present to analyse what the guy really did. but it seems very close and well synced. i like the isle of whight version, very different, easier to achive too i think.

this attenuator is a home made one, very customized, but i promised i wouldn't spread its conception to the friend who helped me building it and understanding it. it's quite a classic process though.

i've got a 69 superlead metro, and one other waiting some transformers and tubes, and another 45/100 waiting only for a power transformer and a choke.

young flower

Post by young flower » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Yes - the original track is indeed too present to really tell it apart from the video´s audio. But I think one could use his videos as a good guide to figure out BOG songs, since his playing seems to be pretty spot on. In fact I use his cover video to learn "Message To Love" and it worked well so far.

I see - no problem. I thought maybe your attenuator is one of the well-know brands.

You guys really have a lot of amps. My 69 SL will be my first amp build ever actually - so I´m excited about how it turns out and if I electrocute myself or not :mrgreen:.

Wish you a pleasant night - I´m off for a beer :mrgreen: .

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:31 pm

:toast:

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Yeah, i discovered his vids a couple months back - amazing! Here's Retrolees signal chain: "Using a stock Mexi-strat w/stock pickups--->vox wah-->fuzz face-->line6 sansamp--->pod2.0"
The man simply has a really good ear and can dial stuff in quite perfectly with anything that has a couple of dials. Fantastic playing!