Block End Build

Detailed assembly steps separated into threads.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Block End Build

Post by Xplorer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:04 pm

mmh , makes me want to try one 20 hy ! looking forward to hear your clips about that, when it'll be burned in.

lool, love this commercial, reminds me of this one :palm: :palm: :palm:
:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strat78
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Strat78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:13 pm

I wouldn't wast the money yet on a 20h, I'll try to get some clips up when I'm done. Actually I might put it back in my 12xxx and do a comparison clip with a 3h. Poor Orson, still, you have to remember some of his more brilliant moments that we all know and love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNo8ld7ak8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 pm

Lmao..
You really have me wondering if it's the voltage drop/sag/compression that you like more than the increased inductance. The reason I say this is that I know you and I both like lower filtering verses stiff sterile tone. That's what I got with that 10h Merc Choke that George used to sell. Yuck Sterile sounding. Hated it! I have no idea what it's equivalent resistance is

I guess what I'm trying to say is I wonder if an equivalent power resister in series with a 3h choke ( like a 400 to 500ohm to equal the resistance of your 20h) would be the best of both worlds. You would have the sag/voltage drop, but still a more open less filtered tone.

Would be an interesting test.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:58 am

Xplorer wrote:oh ! that's right ! i remember now. thanks !

here :

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=694440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the 10 hy seems more loose, while the 3 hy is more tight.
How do you guys know that the Dickinson used a 20 hy ? :scratch:
i think i have almost all the parts for it, even the 32 + 32 old RS preamp cap. and some old 470 ohms RS wirewound résistors.
same OT as a standard one ?
i asked if possible a 510 v tap on the power transformer, added between the 490v, and 560v ( which i doubt i'll ever use ) .

So what are the last news about your build strat78 ? :D
Wow - after being away from this and hearing it fresh, i prefer the 3H results compared to the 10H. The 3H is the stock choke that was in the amp (74 SL) when I got it. The 10H is a Mercury Magnetics. The 10H sounds a tad more distant and darker and less urgent than the 3H. The dynamics of the 3H seem to be more alive - very noticeable on the first couple "strikes" of the A chord. I think this test was done with a DI clip captured in PT and then run out to the amp to ensure that the differences were not attributed to differences in playing technique between the clips.

Interestingly and sadly, the 3H choke is sitting on my workbench and the 10H is in the amp! (i think) gotta go home and verify.

and nice work Strat78 - beautiful looking setup - :mrgreen: [jealous!] :rockon:

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:27 pm

I apologize if this has already been said, but I just saw that Triode Electronic sells 20h RS choke clone made by Classic tone. (They also have a 2.2k primary Ot to go with that massive project Pt Joey designed, but I won't go there)
I asume this is the RS clone you have Phil? How did you measure the equivalent resistance? Or is it just in the rating? I'm probably going to buy one, and measure the voltage drop compared to the 3h with lower resistance.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:42 am

Mike, the 20h choke I have is an original Radiospares, but the Classic Tone has the same specs.
Pics:
Last edited by Strat78 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emmjaydubya

Post by emmjaydubya » Sun May 18, 2014 12:05 pm

Looks great Phil! Can't believe I missed this, that block end is so fine. I notice you have pretty high filtering in the pre? I'm gonna roll with a single 16uf there, well actually 15uf, I found some awesome 15uf 500v Erie caps for that spot.

Have you heard it with a 3H? That RS 20H is pretty cool though. I'm still mulling over what kind of choke to use...

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 pm

I have not posted those pics until now. That 32/32 cap is part of the Dickinson spec I believe, but I think I'll switch that to a single 15uf cap as well if I can find an Erie, TCC or better still a Radiospares. I have not had allot of time to play the amp, but I was not all that bulled over with the 20H choke, I liked it better in my 12xxx. I'll try the stock 45/100 spec first before deciding what to do next. I need to assemble a stock strat setup too so I can really take the amp for a proper test drive.

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun May 18, 2014 12:46 pm

This is getting good.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon May 19, 2014 7:42 am

I've got some grey RS flying man 450v dual 16uFs axials (need reforming).....................
Neil

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:19 pm

Had a pleasant surprise this week when the Mojo cab arrived. After looking at all my other mojo cabs I noticed that the inside supports got in the way of the block end chassis. For fear of another up-charge I figured when my jtm 45/100 cab arrived I would simply cut off the extra wood myself, though that is not the case (see pic). Thanks Mojo! I know, I know, block end chassis never came with white cabs much less the earlier little air vents on top, oh and the Hendrix spec too. Oh well, this amp is a real mutt. :mrgreen: