Is There Such A Thing As An Axis Fuzz Kit?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Brandon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Is There Such A Thing As An Axis Fuzz Kit?

Post by Brandon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:30 pm

I have a few different fuzzes including the grey arbiter fuzz which I love, but I'd like to try the axis fuzz circuit out.

Is there a kit for it? And what if so what would be the difficulty level on building one? Please excuse if this is a total newb question, but I honestly don't know!

I have an old dunlop shitty fuzz face that I'd like to gut out and try building an axis fuzz kit into.... That'd be sweet. 8)

Thanks guys :mrgreen:

Brandon

Roe

Re: Is There Such A Thing As An Axis Fuzz Kit?

Post by Roe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:31 am

not that I'm aware of
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:22 pm

well I did find this website:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody know anything about them?

Here's one of the fuzzes they offer:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fuzz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:31 pm

it would be very hard for you to find since the Axis fuzz is still in production, and no company would want to step on RM's toes. Typically companies like BYOC only make kits for old, desirable circuits that everyone knows about (FF, TS, Phase 90 etc). Since you're willing to solder, the AF circuit is very simple and shouldn't pose much of a challenge. My suggestion would be to buy some parts and build it up on perfboard.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:27 pm

t would be very hard for you to find since the Axis fuzz is still in production, and no company would want to step on RM's toes.
That's a really good point. Didn't even think that the main reason why people get the kits is because the company that used to manufacture them has either stopped or is now messing them up! :? Liiiiiike cough-cough *marshall* cough-cough. :P

Jesus I went into sam ash the other week to play a marshall sl 1959 100w and I can't believe how much the thing disappointed but I digress...

Guess I'm just going to have to fork out the money for that RM axis fuzz :wink: But oddly enough it wouldn't be the most expensive pedal on my board

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:46 am

all those fuzz face kits (e.g. byoc) are nothing like an axis fuzz. its an entirely different circuit, as can be seen from schematics widely available
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:46 pm

in fact, if you hang around stompbox building forums you should be able to find someone willing to make you an Axis Fuzz board. that with some other essential components will be all you really need.

Skip Regan

Post by Skip Regan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:31 pm

The circuit looks simple enough that you shouldn't need a kit...

Cheech

Post by Cheech » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:57 am

I have been wondering about some of the values inside these fuzz circuits. I am not a expert but with Roger Mayer's pedals being so high in price and hopefully in quality I was wondering if each pedals transistors are biased with resistors according to gain of the transistor. Making all the pedals sound alike and uniform.

I have a silicon fuzz I made a while back. There is so much gain on the pedal it will make my amp sound terrible. I have always wondered if this was due to incorrect bias.

Power tubes can sound like junk if they are biased too high. I wonder if transistors can too.

Will

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:17 pm

i'd love to see some gut shots of the RM axis fuzz. cause changing some caps from a brand to another one, changing the reactance for the same values, my axis fuzz clone was totaly different . so i'd like to clone the RM with the exact same parts, brands , hfe , so i could be sure to have a good base to analyse the axis effect on the sound. i'm thinking of some motorola transistors.
the 220 ohms on the top of the 0,001 uf cap is said to be a 220 k instad, by jc maillet.
does anyone have an RM axis fuzz please ? ; )