Hendrix amp settings

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

swankmotee

Re: Hendrix amp settings

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Tone seaker wrote:
swankmotee wrote:Guys, it's been well documented in interviews with his roadies like Gary Stickells,Eric Barrett,and others that he DIMED everything to get the absolute most from the Marshall's when playing live. .
I have read every thing i could find on Hendrix for 40 years and never read anything where a roadie said he dimed every thing can you give a link i just have never seen that and have read a lot. It has always been just regular people claiming that. When he uses the shared cathode amps if he dimmed the bass it would be a mud hole. I am asking about his 69-70 sounds though just to clarify. I run my 68 super lead with every thing on 10 and it does not sound like Hendrix it sounds more like him with it all on 8 but not exactly.
LOL! I don't know what books you've read but there are many references to the fact that he dimed them and when I can get some free time to look I'll send some links. Every Marshall sounds and behaves slightly different so yours will sound best for you where you set it to taste.

Tone seaker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 pm

swankmotee wrote:
Tone seaker wrote:
swankmotee wrote:Guys, it's been well documented in interviews with his roadies like Gary Stickells,Eric Barrett,and others that he DIMED everything to get the absolute most from the Marshall's when playing live. .
I have read every thing i could find on Hendrix for 40 years and never read anything where a roadie said he dimed every thing can you give a link i just have never seen that and have read a lot. It has always been just regular people claiming that. When he uses the shared cathode amps if he dimmed the bass it would be a mud hole. I am asking about his 69-70 sounds though just to clarify. I run my 68 super lead with every thing on 10 and it does not sound like Hendrix it sounds more like him with it all on 8 but not exactly.
LOL! I don't know what books you've read but there are many references to the fact that he dimed them and when I can get some free time to look I'll send some links. Every Marshall sounds and behaves slightly different so yours will sound best for you where you set it to taste.
LOL you have made big claims before about stuff you have read and i have said the same thing and you never bring your references to the table. Like I said I have read every thing i could find over the last 40 years and never once seen any thing from a roadie saying what he set his amps on live. Lets see your sources if there is any. I would love to see that information if it excist because my question woul be answered. I was just trying to get some in put from any one here that is really into Hendrix and see what they run there amps settings on to get that sound but no one has actually said they nail the sound or get close and there setting just a few opinions saying dime it :shock:

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:49 pm

LOL you have made big claims before about stuff you have read and i have said the same thing and you never bring your references to the table. Like I said I have read every thing i could find over the last 40 years and never once seen any thing from a roadie saying what he set his amps on live. Lets see your sources if there is any. I would love to see that information if it excist because my question woul be answered. I was just trying to get some in put from any one here that is really into Hendrix and see what they run there amps settings on to get that sound but no one has actually said they nail the sound or get close and there setting just a few opinions saying dime it :shock:[/quote]
Big Claims HUH?! I can back up my comments with video ala the post immediately after the Trower amp pics in this thread . The gear used in the video link was a 73' 100wt DIMED,68' A cab loaded pre rola G12H30 014cones,67' LH Strat,68' Vox 846,Dunlop reissue JH-1 BC108 Fuzzface,FoxRox Aquavibe. FYI, I also perform annually at the Nashville Amp Expo & Dallas International Guitar Festival doing my "Vintage 100wt Marshall vs. Boutique Clones" seminar where I demonstrate Jimi tones through all those amps DIMED! Funny thing too, they all do Hendrix pretty much dead on with all controls DIMED!LOL! Oh, and ask ole Velvet George if I know anything about getting Hendrix tones out of his amps! :roll:
http://youtu.be/TzNi4bycAlo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just in case you need that link. :jimi:
Here are some pics from the Dallas show......
Thats my good friend Greg Martin who stopped by and let me play his 58' through all those amps

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Didnt mean for some thing ugly to get started. You laughed at my post when i disagreed. It is true what i said i have read every thing i can get my hands on for 40 years and never seen a interview with one of his roadies that new any thing more than he bought him 10-38 stings. Maybe you have seen something i have not can you help me by looking for it. Thanks You have a very close sound are you dimming every thing (Preseces, Bass, Mid, Trebble and both volumes) Thanks

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Tone seaker wrote:Didnt mean for some thing ugly to get started. You laughed at my post when i disagreed. It is true what i said i have read every thing i can get my hands on for 40 years and never seen a interview with one of his roadies that new any thing more than he bought him 10-38 stings. Maybe you have seen something i have not can you help me by looking for it. Thanks You have a very close sound are you dimming every thing (Preseces, Bass, Mid, Trebble and both volumes) Thanks
Hey, nothing ugly meant by any of my responses just some tongue in cheek humour honestly!LOL! Didn't mean to be crass but just wanted to make a point that some of us out here actually do know a thing or two about what is being discussed. I will look for the comments I mentioned this evening and into the next week and get back with you on it because I do want to back up what I'm claiming for sure.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm

ok thanks but just to clarify in those clips is every thing dimmed all the tone controls and both volumes and how do you have th fuzz set if you dont mind. Thanks

swankmotee

Post by swankmotee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:58 pm

Tone seaker wrote:ok thanks but just to clarify in those clips is every thing dimmed all the tone controls and both volumes and how do you have th fuzz set if you dont mind. Thanks
Sure, all controls are dimed except for the bass which I roll off and the fuzz was maxed on both controls as well.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Dimed or not. Some of all parts.
At certain times maybe he did dime... (Fender's & Marshall's)
Adjusting for the Venue or House... even Rentals?
He could of dimed the amp and controlled the guitar's volume for his rhythm & leads.
Depending on the fuzz, (and we know what he liked) cleans up nicely rollin' back the vol knob.
I'm assuming stock Stratocaster so 250k works optimal.
For me, dimed, does not work for Jimi. 8½ sweetspot on the head and
adjust to taste after unity gain is reached on the fuzz pedal.
My Metro SB w/ shared V! does the job better than my SL...
Guess I'm gonna' hafta' do a demo... what song...hmm :scratch:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Cheech

Post by Cheech » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 am

I been keepin a eye out myself. Rainbow Bridge is close enough but camera never focuses on amps.