James Marshall Hendrix

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Wed May 14, 2008 11:38 am

I agree 100% BS. The guy doesn't know the first thing about electronics an out and out crock.

Loganp

Post by Loganp » Wed May 14, 2008 2:30 pm

I am sure one of the main reasons Jimi sounded different with his Strat/marshall combo, was that he was a left handed player, playing a right handed strat. Now stringing the guitar for left handed play would put those pickups in reverse of what they were meant for.

So that would have affect on the tone I would think

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:46 pm

Loganp wrote:I am sure one of the main reasons Jimi sounded different with his Strat/marshall combo, was that he was a left handed player, playing a right handed strat. Now stringing the guitar for left handed play would put those pickups in reverse of what they were meant for.

It certainly does.
I had the '97 Hendrix tribute Strat. There was nothing like it tonewise. It had that vibe cause everything was reversed.

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Wed May 14, 2008 3:57 pm

carlygtr56 wrote:
Loganp wrote:I am sure one of the main reasons Jimi sounded different with his Strat/marshall combo, was that he was a left handed player, playing a right handed strat. Now stringing the guitar for left handed play would put those pickups in reverse of what they were meant for.

It certainly does.
I had the '97 Hendrix tribute Strat. There was nothing like it tonewise. It had that vibe cause everything was reversed.
I bought one in '97, still have it and it really sounds authentic. There's one thing I had to do to it though to make it work just like Jimi's - the pots need to be rewired so they taper backwards, otherwise you're just turning regular right handed pots on a backwards guitar. I don't think anyone thought about this feature.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed May 14, 2008 4:35 pm

yngwie308 wrote:Yes that's what I thought, thank God he didn't get to keep the guitar.
Jimi performed magic with his Stratocaster/Marshall/Fuzz Face/Vox wah/Univibe/Octavia combination, the main ingredient being Jimi himself.
This Blue Cheer guy took too much acid, imo... :lol:
yngwie308
Don't forget the curly cord that doesn't pass too much electricity....

BTW, was the Blue Cheer guy a lefty? How did he play Jimi's guitar if he wasn't? I'm sure he didn't re-string it righty...
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed May 14, 2008 4:38 pm

ToneBone wrote:[ There's one thing I had to do to it though to make it work just like Jimi's - the pots need to be rewired so they taper backwards, otherwise you're just turning regular right handed pots on a backwards guitar. I don't think anyone thought about this feature.
Never occurred to me!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Wed May 14, 2008 4:46 pm

'97 and a '77

Loganp

Post by Loganp » Wed May 14, 2008 8:17 pm

I play a '92 right handed Mexican Strat and since i am a left handed player I switched for left handed play. I like the earily 90's mexican strats because the pickups are hotter wound. And even that guitar has that Jimi sound played through the right amp.

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Wed May 14, 2008 10:30 pm

There's one thing I had to do to it though to make it work just like Jimi's - the pots need to be rewired so they taper backwards, otherwise you're just turning regular right handed pots on a backwards guitar. I don't think anyone thought about this feature.
You're joking right? Why in the world would Jimi have changed any wiring? He didn't. He changed the strings and the intonation and played. He didn't even rotate the pickups the pole heights were all wrong. And even if he did rotate the pickups to get the pole heights correct he still wouldn't have to rewire the pots. :roll:

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed May 14, 2008 11:27 pm

That little story is the kind of bullshit that gets parroted and fucks up any real discussion of someones tone.

monkface

jimi

Post by monkface » Thu May 15, 2008 2:00 am

I'll tell ya what is giving me some heavy duty bummin...it's the fact that so many of the youtube vids y'all have posted have been removed! :cry: One of them even said "this has been removed due to terms of violation of experience hendrix LLC......sigh...Any one know where I can get ahold of some of these boots? any of em...

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu May 15, 2008 6:48 am

I guess thats Jimi's well intentioned and beloved half sisters doing?

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Thu May 15, 2008 7:18 am

Billy Batz wrote:I guess thats Jimi's well intentioned and beloved half sisters doing?
No, that would be Janie
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu May 15, 2008 10:56 am

Billy Batz wrote:That little story is the kind of bullshit that gets parroted and fucks up any real discussion of someones tone.
You mean like a variac turned way UP, or a f'd humbucker with one open coil or 2 JBL 120's in a cab with 2 greenbacks or an invisible microamp, D+ or "magic" pedal, etc, etc, etc.... :roll:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Thu May 15, 2008 11:22 am

908ssp wrote:
There's one thing I had to do to it though to make it work just like Jimi's - the pots need to be rewired so they taper backwards, otherwise you're just turning regular right handed pots on a backwards guitar. I don't think anyone thought about this feature.
You're joking right? Why in the world would Jimi have changed any wiring? He didn't. He changed the strings and the intonation and played. He didn't even rotate the pickups the pole heights were all wrong. And even if he did rotate the pickups to get the pole heights correct he still wouldn't have to rewire the pots. :roll:
Hello? Jimi didn't do anything to his pots. He flipped over a right handed guitar. Now his pots would roll backwards. Think about it, man, then take your right-handed guitar, flip it over like Jimi did and check the pot rotation.
The backwards Hendrix strat is a right-handed PLAYING guitar with right-handed pots. The pots have not been flipped so they need to be wired in reverse so as to rotate the same way Jimi's upside-down strats did. This must be a real hard concept for people to understand because Fender didn't catch it, nobody I know noticed it and it's the only thing not backwards on the Hendrix tribute strat. Check it out for yourselves by flipping over your guitars and turning the pots. Sheez.