Hendrix BOG Pics?

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Do you think Hendrix was using a SuperBass on the BOG Fillmore East Concerts?

Yes a super bass
41%
No a super lead
59%

Total votes: 41

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:41 am

That is a possibility, cause the jtm 100, would have had the Super Bass tone stack, and shared cathode, and possibly SB PI cap values, as well as lower filtering. That is a definite possibility.

thousandshirts

Re:

Post by thousandshirts » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:45 am

basile865 wrote:i work at guitar center
Really? Wow! :lol:

yladrd61
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re:

Post by yladrd61 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 am

Bluesgeetar wrote:
carlygtr56 wrote:Nobody has a pic of ANY Jimi amp with 6550's.
Curious? Does anyone have any pics of a Jimi amp with EL34's? Proof goes both ways. Just curious. Not trying to pick a fight. :D
One of the Woodstock amps is at EMP it is a US Spec '69 With a Standup Pwer Transformer and EL 34's :jimi: :jimi:

Xplorer

Re:

Post by Xplorer » Thu May 10, 2012 8:38 pm

McGoogle McDougal wrote:Anybody considered that since he was recording the show for an album, he might have brought out his original JTM100 KT66 "Super 100" amp (the one they just did the limited edition reissue of)? Isn't it believed that he still had this amp at this point? He could very well have used that as the amp that was miked up, and used other (possibly new) heads for the rest of the stacks. The amp would natually sound a little different than when he first was using it, since he probably had a newer fuzzface, had an octavio, the UniVibe was in line, and he had a wah. Probably different speakers than his original cabs too.

Eamon
Very good point, and this is exactly what i think too, especially since i heard a jimi hendrix JTM 100 amp kt66 ( but not the 7026 cloned by marshall ) , and it sounded spot on.
this would also explain, for me, the difference in the sound recorded from one fillmore concert to another. one night, another amp was miked, sounding very SL, another night, it was this one. there's something missing in the superlead tones, other than the shared cathode and tonestack values.

Lefty Lou

Re: Hendrix BOG Pics?

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu May 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Could jumpering a 4 input Marshall Super Lead differently change a Marshall's tonal response to sound more akin to a "Super Bass" amp as noted by everyone here? Especially if we take into consideration Jimi's using 6550 or KT66 tubes and with Celestion Heritage Series G12H(55) (30 watt bass speakers) he was known to use, could combining these variables have resulted in a "Super Bass" tonal response? Just curious.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Fri May 11, 2012 7:43 am

Not everyone think of a super basse.
Also, jimi didn't lile the 55hz, but 75hz. and the pre rola sound really different from the later speakers.
Anyway, in this concert there are also some jbl, but we're not sure of their use. See the el34 versus 6550 topic about this bog subject.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:19 am

I suppose the Hendrix section needs it's own Van Halen amp threads.. :scratch: :roll:
This whole Super Bass issue is a non-issue.
Lead guitarists did not use Super Basses back then at all, or if they did, they would share amps with the bassist for some reason.
How do I know? Well I will be 58 years old this August and I lived in London from 1966-1972 and I know for a fact that all the times I was at the Marshall shop and through discussions with the salesmen there, even the topic of Jimi's amps came up and things like 6550 valves and Super Basses weren't on the radar.
I know the West Coast Organ deal and all those amps delivered to the West Coast are a separate issue but this is patently untrue and I visited this thread about 4-5 years ago and it is still rolling on??
All of this is conjecture and if people want to wildly theorize about this and that, that's exactly what it is.. :stars: :jimi: :palm:
Only much later and after Jimi's death did guitarists think to use the bass circuit. Of course the Fender Bassman on which the JTM-45 was based, with some changes was a bass amp.
But again in those days, sixties to beginning of the seventies guitarists played Super Leads and that is my experience.
There is no compelling data to prove otherwise..sorry.
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Xplorer, I quoted Celestion when I mentioned their low frequency model (55Hz) 30 watt greenback speaker model. Excerpted from Celestion's website, " If the G12M was to become a classic, it was the G12H with its heavier magnet that really characterised the sound of rock guitar for the new breed of player that emerged in the 1960s. Listen to any Hendrix recording and the chances are you’re hearing the unmistakably creamy tones of the G12H. Originally available in two versions – low resonance for bassists and high resonance for guitarists – both were in fact embraced by guitar players for their unique tonal characteristics. " The Celestion website doesn't mention this for the (75Hz) version, plus I know when the two versions of the re-issue 30 watt greenbacks were first sold that Celestion outright said that the (55Hz) low frequency cones are what Jimi used.

Also, Jimi is the one who started the whole 4x12 Electro Voice cabinet phenomenon, and not Moore, Bonamassa, or Hetfield. I am also aware that Jimi used JBL's but probably like most other musicians and techs alike, he didn't care much for their sound. The late great Cesar Diaz had something to say about JBL's when addressing SRV's amps," I started dealing with ElectroVoice because I knew the sales manager, and I'd always been a good sales promoter. I got sick of dealing with the JBL's because they used to blow so easily, and it just wasn't funny anymore. I got sick of changing them out, and I never really liked the harshness of them. However, the first album, Texas Flood, was all VibroVerbs and JBL's."

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat May 12, 2012 7:18 am

off course jimi played some G12M 75hz. But he liked the G12H30 75 hz, whatever the celestion website says.

Yes, JBL aren't the best choice but i just noted for you the very interesting discussion ( into "EL 34 versus 6550, you vote" ) that we had about the pictures of BOG, where you can see some JBL shiny cones, on one of the cabs on the side, perhaps to hear billy's playing on his side of the scene, or for another purpose, or for the voice, i don't remember.

I don't know if you read this thread, but it's very old now, and it lasted for quite a hundreds of thoughts.

Yngwie, i understand you were there. But we still like to discuss it, because it's not that simple and it's not a closed case.
or ... get me the exact tone of this concert, this particular night, with the gears you mention, please :wink:

even randy hansen doesn't get as close as i'm requesting ^^

bill bokey
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by bill bokey » Sat May 12, 2012 8:24 am

Xplorer wrote:off course jimi played some G12M 75hz. But he liked the G12H30 75 hz, whatever the celestion website says.
How do you know that ?
How do you know he ever played lead cone G12H ? The "100" cabs were loaded with bass cone G12H weren't they ?

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat May 12, 2012 9:12 am

yeah, jimi played basse :wink:

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat May 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Xplorer, I don't believe that Celestion would have any reason to lie about whether he used 55Hz (bass) or 75Hz (lead) 30 watt greenback cones because Celestion still benefits no matter which one he chose. I distinctly remember Celestion saying that he used the 55Hz cones and it wasn't an "I think he used" or an "I believe he used" issue, it was an "I KNOW he used" issue. Pardon me for stating it this way, but I'm not pulling this out of my arse and have no reason to make this up.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat May 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Celstion even doesn't recognize they've produced a particular model i won't talk about ( i know, you'll say it's a bit light, it's true, but i can't talk about it i'm sorry ) , when it's shown to them with detailed pictures etc.

almost everybody know he liked the G12H30 75 hz, and some hendrix stuffs owners, who knew jimi, and who have his favourite JTM 45/100 ... say what i say.

lot of crap is said out there about Jimi on the net. believe what you prefer, no offense. i'll stick with what a few special persons told me.
Celestion has no reasons to lie .. or maybe simply doesn't know, just like dunlop saying Jimi used a rotovibe :lol:

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat May 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Xplorer, we'll just move on to bigger and better Jimi topics then buddy. I didn't want to get too involved into the Celestion subject anyways, because there are so many other facets to Jimi's equipment and playing techniques that I would rather discuss.

Alnico

Post by Alnico » Sat May 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Marshall didn't use 75Hz G12H Celestions, only the following:

1960 cabs - T1221 G12M 75Hz
1935 "Bass" cabs - T1511 G12M 55Hz
1982 "100" cabs - T1281 G12H 55Hz