Jimi's Marshall info from 69 and before

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

beaulieu

Jimi's Marshall info from 69 and before

Post by beaulieu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 am

I learned some info today that I wonder if anyone can verify. In 69 Jimi recieved 8 S.L heads and about 10 cabinets. He re-loaded the cabinets by removing the 25 watt celestions and replacing them with 75watt Rolas that were bought from the Thomas Organ co. They were used in SS SuperBeatle Vox amps.Also WestCoast organ repair were the ones to keep his gear in order. David Wyer was the guy who worken on them. The replaced the Mullard EL 34's with 6550's bought at a Radio shop Called Sun radio on Sunset. They didnt really know the differences in tubes like we do now but Jimi wanted the 6550's so David changed them. Probally cause they were louder.He used GE Tungsol and RCa's. Also after a while Jimi would have 2 heads that were his favorite and they would be measured,Plate Voltage? I guess to try and tune the other amps the same? He also always used his gear all the way up so he would often blow trannies so they kept a bunch of spares on hand! Before 69 he used Fenders and he also did some R&D for SUNN. In 62 he has a Silvertone amp and 2x12 cab but he would always borrow gear bacj=k then.
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by basile865 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Yea that article has been discussed here quite a bit and there really is no verification. Definately possible. The conversations always boiled down to - you'll have to try it yourself and see if you like it or not. Thats really the only way to truly tell. A few people on here swear by the 6550's and some feel that he didn't use them. Theres no clear cut answer except you've got to sit down and try the different configurations yourself.

Freedom
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freedom » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Maybe its relative, maybe its not but i remember the only time i had the chance to take a "clear" look (yeah right) of the back of one of Jimi's amps was via a Guitar World magazine (May 1992, page 79)...i've just scanned the pics, so here goes nothing...

Again, even these pics can't prove anything really...tubes looks like EL34 to me but again no one can say that somebody hadn't replaced the "originals" (EL34 or 6550) with another quad...and the transformer layout itself doesnt say much, could be a late '68 one the earliest (it was the layout transition era wasn't it?), or a '69 or...the article describes it only as a Super Lead, no "plexi" word anywhere...so i guess it could even be a 70's metal face and so forth (mid '69 was the time the SLs changed from plexi to metal right?)...

Anyway, lots of "ifs" and "coulds" here and the mystery remains...
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

basile865

Post by basile865 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:48 pm

either way those are some awsome pics man thanks for scanning them up

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:40 pm

I have never seen an amp of that age with that power socket. So I kind of think that amp was not photographed in Jimi's time but later and probably not completely stock. Kind a stupid to modify one of Jimi's amps. Anyway I am very suspect as to the accuracy of any reports. I need solid evidence not self serving claims.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:47 am

908ssp wrote:So I kind of think that amp was not photographed in Jimi's time but later and probably not completely stock.
Yeap, this photo has been taken when this amp was already owned by Tony Brown (this and the other photos of Jimi's gear that the specific magazine published)

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:47 am

Right, I'm sure Tony Brown, a collector, was eager to change tube types :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:49 am

carlygtr56 wrote:Right, I'm sure Tony Brown, a collector, was eager to change tube types :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ever see an AC jack like that in a Marshall of that era? If not who put that in? Would they have done that back in the day for road use? And if that was changed later who is to say they didn't change the tubes? I am not saying they did just that we have no info those pictures are nice to look at but they mean nothing.

If we could all play like you I assure you we wouldn't be here talking about this stuff. :wink:

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:11 am

908ssp wrote:Ever see an AC jack like that in a Marshall of that era? If not who put that in? Would they have done that back in the day for road use? And if that was changed later who is to say they didn't change the tubes? I am not saying they did just that we have no info those pictures are nice to look at but they mean nothing.
Exactly...and as i've already stated, lots of "ifs" and "coulds" here... :wink:

carlygtr56
Banned

Post by carlygtr56 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 am

908ssp wrote:
carlygtr56 wrote:Right, I'm sure Tony Brown, a collector, was eager to change tube types :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ever see an AC jack like that in a Marshall of that era? If not who put that in? Would they have done that back in the day for road use? And if that was changed later who is to say they didn't change the tubes? I am not saying they did just that we have no info those pictures are nice to look at but they mean nothing.

If we could all play like you I assure you we wouldn't be here talking about this stuff. :wink:
Well thats my point!! It's not about what tubes, which fuzz, etc.
If one works on feel and what sounds cool, one is better served, IMO anyway.

I dont think Hendrix gave a shit about tube types, etc.
Things may have been done to make the gear more roadworthy, but I doubt he cared about tubes, other than that they were working.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:56 am

Yeah, I've seen those pics (Randy Rhoads was on the cover). Hendrix may have possibly owned/used it, but hey, he used MANY Marshall tops over his 3-4 year span. If it was Hendrixs, and the tubes he had in it, it was pre '69, or it had been retubed since Hendrixs use of it. I agree about ones actual 'playing' being point and center overall, but I dont need pics to confirm Jimi's definite use of the 6550 tube, my ears tell me so.

ToneBone

Post by ToneBone » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Tony Brown passed away about 5 years ago and I'm not sure who has the Hendrix amp now.

Loganp

Post by Loganp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:19 pm

I know for a fact that the original hendrix JTM45/100W had KT66's in it when jimi used it. (Rich dickinson still has them) But he switched to superlead amps years later so who really knows what he used.

Loganp

Post by Loganp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:23 pm

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Where is Jimi's Black Flag head??
That's the one I want!! :D
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;